Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 PM

KPG007 is on a distinguished road

Wow, this build is one of my favorites on RC. The detail, not only to design and construction, but also to documenting has been outstanding!

A couple of questions - What problems have you run into now that the system is up and running? How do you control pest algae and fish disease in the main tank? What problems have you noticed with the fish community? What's the maintainance like on this system (you mentioned you're there 3 days a week - any others helping out)?

Kelly
Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

Been following this on RC since the beginning of the project. Thx for posting here for others to drool over too!

3x20g Display Established June 08|Koralia nano, 1, 4|Euroreef Skimmer|250W MH retro kit|Mag 18 return|RODI
120g Display Established Jan 1, 09|Vortech MP40|Koralia 4|I-Tech 100 w Tunze 9410.04A|Aquactinics Constellation 7x54W|Mag 18 return|RODI
Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 PM

KevinK is on a distinguished road

Mr Wilson,

what substrate is there in the main tank, and how thick,

it seems very course and as far as my understanding goes' thy always say course material will trap a lot of debris.-- what's the background on this ?

I also se there is a DSB in the refugium what's the grade there

thanks
Old 08-10-2011, 08:03 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
Good to be home. The aquarium is in Oakville Ontario for those that don't already know.
Cool, I was born Oakville

I have to say that is an amazing set up, if I ever had the money I'd definately want something just like that Thank-you for sharing
Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I remember thinking when he first started this build that it seemed crazy to have no budget restraints and still limit yourself to 3 feet across. You guys have done an amazing job though it looks fantastic!

I recall reading that Peter was sourcing premium stuff and not really starting with frags so it's hard to tell how growth has been. Have you seen a lot of growth under the Orpheks?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
He has two, each of them as expensive as the whole tank build. His next door neighbour has a 300 gallon reef tank from Big Al's and a bigger car collection, nice neighbourhood I park my Impala out front to keep it real

LMAO

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Thank you for creating this thread. I've followed the thread on RC, but as you suggest - it is very large. I'm especially looking forward to your commentary of the ReefTech lighting system.

You mentioned on RC that you were planning a book. Is this still in the works?

I'll be traveling to Toronto in October. I can PM you the dates. If there is any chance of chatting with you and Peter, it would be the highlight of my trip.

- Brad
Old 08-10-2011, 11:00 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I love the look of this tank. It's a good thing it's a private tank, if this tank were somewhere publicly accessible in my own city for example, I'd no longer feel the need to have a tank of my own.

Very enviable setup..
Old 08-10-2011, 11:31 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

I skimmed through this whole thread again and I didnt see it anywhere.....what are the dimensions on this bad boy?

I noticed in the picture of beneath the tank that it looks like there was a small concrete "footing" for the cross braces on the stand? .....looks like its starting to crumble if thats what Im seeing???
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 08-11-2011, 03:48 AM

mr.wilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefOcean View Post
LOL yeah. His skimmer probably costs as much as my car. If I had the money, my setup Would be just as ridiculous, maybe even more. I have my eyes on a cylinder that goes all the way up to the second floor.....

I am still young, one day hehe
That skimmer was triple the value of my car