Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-17-2010, 07:37 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

If you're not set on Mexico I would suggest looking into the Dreams resort in La Romana in the Dominican Republic. Best place by far in the Caribbean, in my experience. Lots of restaurants and you don't need reservations and most don't have dress codes (trust me this is key when you're down there). Good snorkeling right of the beach, super calm water, and one of the best dive shops right on the beach as well. I even got married there and I still like it, that should tell you something
Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 PM

Ross is on a distinguished road

We were at Dreams Puerto Aventuras back in Feb. this was our first time to Mexico, and we loved this resort. Small, but high caliber, you don't have to walk for 15 minutes to get to the beach, its right on it.

There is a marina 5 minutes walk away, there are markets, and a dolphin show/swim, loads of small fishing charter boats, Golf course, etc.

It is pretty centeral along the east coast between Tulum and Playa Del Carman.

Xcaret is a short bus drive away. As are the Tulum ruins.

Great food, great room service, wife sayes spa was really good.
great drinks etc etc

There is a decent amount of snorkeling on the beach out infront of the resort It is sheltered by a breakwater, so loads of fish come in out of the waves
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rossmct...7623423282094/
Not much for corals, but tangs, puffers, rays, baracuda, etc.

Google Earth:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=2...05364&t=h&z=18

Hotel website:
http://www.dreamsresorts.com/drepa/photo-gallery.html

No, I'm not affiliated with them, but I'd go back there in a heart beat.
67 Gallon Mixed Reef, Modular LED Lights

Send in the Clowns - Clown Fish Breeding
5 Gallon Fry Hatchery and 15 Gallon Clown Grow Out Tank

Last edited by Ross; 12-17-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:56 PM

Diving and snorkeling pics from the Dreams in Dominican, basically most dive sites and snorkeling right of the resort beach.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...ghlight=diving

Also room service there was free. Often this is case with most all inclusive but most don't know about it as it's not usually advertised.

One thing about the Princess in Mexico is it was HUGE! Not a bad thing really but the distance from the lobby to the beach is 1km. Walking there and back would take about 30min.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:15 PM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

Nothing but good things to say about:

-Gran Bahia Principe Tulum -- other adjoining hotels looked nice.
-Iberostar Paraíso Lindo (twice) -- other adjoining Iberostar hotels look really nice.
-Barcelo Maya Palace (got married here) -- other adjoining hotels were really nice too.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:26 PM

Jfish is on a distinguished road

Stayed at the Barcelo Maya Tropical at the end of November. Resort was very nice and clean. I can't really compare it against any other resort though. One thing I can say, the free snorkeling at the resort is only a one hour rental. So if you enjoy it, buy or borrow some gear before you go. There were swarms of fish, stingrays and turtles off the pier at our resort and we would have stayed in the water a lot longer if we had our own equipment. Also next time I go i'll take the water shoes since there are lots of big rocks lurking out in the water. I'd also take a big beer mug because those little glasses just dont cut it.

We did take the catamaran tour from playa del carmen to tulum one day though. It was an excellent day, two hours sailing, one hour snorkeling, lunch on the boat, hang out at the beach for an hour and a quick tour of tulum.

Boat was large enough (80ft) that there wasn't a whole bunch or rocking. Two or three people ended up being sick out of a hundred or more. The sailing (motor powered) went along the coast which was surprisingly sweet. We then snuck in past the surf and snorkeled just out from tulum at the reef there. The short tour of Tulum was also informative but not too lengthy.

Looked into the deep sea fishing but none of my friends would commit. Talked to some other guests that went and on thier 6 hour trip the group (8 guys) caught three fish. They weren't that happy but every trip is differnt. The fishing boats are a fair bit smaller and in rolling seas I think the squeamish wouldn't have a good time.
Three of my friends did end up going, without callin me which is a whole other story. They went on a four hour trip and caught six or seven fish. They said it was amazing and since the groom ended up reeling in a six or seven foot marlin everyone was happy. Depending on when you go some fish are out of season. At the end of Nov. the marlin season isn't that great but obviously it varies a fair bit.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:49 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
If you're not set on Mexico I would suggest looking into the Dreams resort in La Romana in the Dominican Republic. Best place by far in the Caribbean, in my experience. Lots of restaurants and you don't need reservations and most don't have dress codes (trust me this is key when you're down there). Good snorkeling right of the beach, super calm water, and one of the best dive shops right on the beach as well. I even got married there and I still like it, that should tell you something
Sounded great to me until I went to the web site and found the price of the rooms start at around $500 per night for the Feb. dates I plugged in. Know of any other nice but more reasonable resorts in the Dominican? Not sure yet if this is where I'll go as I really liked Hawaii and would love to go again and visit the Big Island this time.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:09 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

I have stayed at the gran bahia coba, one of three resorts in the conglomerate. Cheaper there but you are not at the beach. Takes 5 min by little tram which comes by about every 5-10 min.
The snorkeling is not too bad, nothing like cuba. But the town of Akumal is about 10 min away by collectivo like someone else has said. Cheap! I am thinking 5$ US but not sure. We saw quite a few turtles there. And if you swim to the breakwater you see a little bit more. Watch out for boats! I saw a resting shark there. Not sure what kind. It was sleeping so we did not bother it (afraid to)
Old 12-19-2010, 10:31 AM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road

If you go to Maya, you gotta go to the state park called Xcaret. They have an underground river that you can float down to the ocean. Their beach had the best snorkelling I've ever experienced. Millions of fish. They even have large schools swimming around you. The fish aren't scared cause being a state park, they're used to people.
If you go to the pacific side, I just stayed at the Dreams Los Cabos in Cabos San Lucas. I'd give this 6 stars, as service and food was exceptional. Not cheap though.

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:32 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

Barcelo Maya Palace is awesome, love that place and the snorkeling off the beach is really nice too. Lots to see and a very clean resort.

xcaret was cool too and only 15mins away. If your looking to save some cash you can take the local bus that runs back and forth along the road. Just stand on the side of the highway and they will stop for you.

3x20g Display Established June 08|Koralia nano, 1, 4|Euroreef Skimmer|250W MH retro kit|Mag 18 return|RODI
120g Display Established Jan 1, 09|Vortech MP40|Koralia 4|I-Tech 100 w Tunze 9410.04A|Aquactinics Constellation 7x54W|Mag 18 return|RODI
Old 12-20-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Sounded great to me until I went to the web site and found the price of the rooms start at around $500 per night for the Feb. dates I plugged in. Know of any other nice but more reasonable resorts in the Dominican? Not sure yet if this is where I'll go as I really liked Hawaii and would love to go again and visit the Big Island this time.
Not sure why it's listed so expensive, I went in May and it was $1500 for a week including flights and everything. Just checked on escapes.ca and it's $1769 for 7 days through westjet leaving Feb 4th.
Anything is La Romana will be nice, I'd avoid Punta Cana just cause it's really windy and the ocean is pretty rough. La Romana is in a calm cove so it's much better.

Last edited by sphelps; 12-20-2010 at 04:41 PM.