Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-23-2010, 11:36 AM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

i have been told if they come by and harass you once and there is no sign of anything illegal growing they are supposed to leave you alone on further complaints from the neighbours. we all know they follow the rules though right?
Old 11-23-2010, 02:25 PM

legendboy is on a distinguished road

This thread is funny because I was just thinking about this! Had a MH lamp setup for the last 5 weeks and have some nosey ass neighbours lol!
Old 11-23-2010, 03:00 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Realistically a real grow op wouldn't be visible, you'd have to be really stupid to make such an operation visible from the outside and even stupider to suspect one as such. Also our two or three halides and a couple pumps would only constitute a very small operation, anything substantial would require significantly more power.

If police did show up it would be the result of retarded neighbor with numerous complaints and the police would be as impressed with it as you would be.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:05 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitoPharmer View Post
Funny you ask. It happened to me. I laughed pretty hard. The cop wanted to come and see if there was a "meth lab and/or grow op" happening in my residence. I guess my plumbed together garbage cans look like a chemical factory to some. But I can really see the grow op thing. Tonnes of condensation plus I have a single 400W MH on a 6' light rail. The light will produce a very convincing grow op light effect. The cop had a good laugh in the end after looking around my house. He said fish tanks getting called in for grow ops happens frequently.
Don't they require a warrant to enter your home?

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:50 PM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Don't they require a warrant to enter your home?
Yes they do. You are under no obligation to even open the door for them without a warrant. Identify yourself and have the conversation through the door until they have a warrant. Too many people roll over when the police come around. I'm a law abiding citizen and expect to be treated as such. The problems caused by nosy neighbours with cell phones infuriate me. Imagine how many real calls the police can't get to because they are dealing with bogus calls made by idiots.

I'm not anti police, I just don't like government minions intruding into my life for no reason.

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 11-23-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Added more commentary
Old 11-23-2010, 03:59 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Yes they do. You are under no obligation to even open the door for them without a warrant. Identify yourself and have the conversation through the door until they have a warrant. Too many people roll over when the police come around.

I'm not anti police, I just don't like government minions intruding into my life.
Unless you have something to hide you'd be pretty foolish not to let them in. All they'll do is take a quick look around and that'll be the end of it. If you cause them trouble and grief they'll come back with a bad attitude and a license to do what ever they want in your house. They'll also think you're hiding something so they'll search for it which could result in substantial damage that they may not be liable for. Not worth the risk, just show them your tank, we all like to show them off anyway
Old 11-23-2010, 04:48 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

then there's have your tank up for a year, get the cop visits out of the way, then setup the grow op in the basement.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:02 PM

SeanPrest is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to SeanPrest

ive thought that before. im across from a fire hall in chilliwack and i asked the firemen if they wondered if it was a grow op and they told me they actually watch the while there in the hall. between the two tanks its quite a glow though.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:03 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

when i moved in i just left the windows open for a month so all the neighbors could peek in if they like. Then after that I closed them up.

Funny thing is I had neighbors kids at my window all the time staring in to see the fish lol.

3x20g Display Established June 08|Koralia nano, 1, 4|Euroreef Skimmer|250W MH retro kit|Mag 18 return|RODI
120g Display Established Jan 1, 09|Vortech MP40|Koralia 4|I-Tech 100 w Tunze 9410.04A|Aquactinics Constellation 7x54W|Mag 18 return|RODI
Old 11-23-2010, 06:29 PM

Magma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Yes they do. You are under no obligation to even open the door for them without a warrant. Identify yourself and have the conversation through the door until they have a warrant. Too many people roll over when the police come around. I'm a law abiding citizen and expect to be treated as such. The problems caused by nosy neighbours with cell phones infuriate me. Imagine how many real calls the police can't get to because they are dealing with bogus calls made by idiots.

I'm not anti police, I just don't like government minions intruding into my life for no reason.
Wrong, Police may enter a home, or vehicle if they have probably case to suspect something is going on. To many people have this false idea that cops cant do anything without a warrent (thank you hollywood) when in fact if you were pulled over by the cops and they suspected drugs in the car, guess what your sitting there while they go through your car no warrent needed, same thing with a home, if you open the door to the cops and a big cloud of smoke comes out the door guess what they can walk right in.

That being said....anything they find is only grounds for you to be taken away they wont be able to have charges stick to you untill they have a warrent to go back and search the house for evidence.

Yes I know this from experiance, cops walked right into a house party because they could see from the doorway what they thought looked like a bong (it was a coloured vase with no flowers in it) and then they explained how they can do that. Hollywood has screwed up what we the citizens think our rights our because lets face it most of the movies we watch are from the USA not Canada Same thing when you ask a cop for his badge number he only has to give you either his Name (first or last doesnt have to be both) OR his badge number.