Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 08-23-2017, 07:13 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

Aw man, now you guys are making me nervous.

I just wipe off the water on my shirt after I'm done LOL.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:52 PM

crimper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Calibration solution is a whole other can of worms...I've noticed they vary by as much as 5 ppt from one brand to the next. I started making my own (Randy Holmes Farley published a recipe, Google it he also explains why brine refractometers read off when calibrated with distilled water) and bought dropper bottles off Amazon (like ones used in test kits or for eye drops) to store it in so that there is no contamination or evaporation. I've found the Two Little Fishies solution to be the most accurate, however it's in a large open top bottle that's prone to evaporation/contamination very quickly even when the lid seems closed well.
No need to buy those dropper from Amazon or ebay, if you had used those little "Blue Bottles" from Zeovit as they have droppers. I have used them in making my own calibration fluid. It will last a life time
Old 08-23-2017, 08:24 PM

jhj0112 is on a distinguished road

ummm.... am I supposed to calibrate this often? maybe I'm lucky but I have not calibrated it for over 4 years... -.-

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2017, 04:59 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhj0112 View Post
ummm.... am I supposed to calibrate this often? maybe I'm lucky but I have not calibrated it for over 4 years... -.-

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Depending on the refractometer you have. My first one a Vertex I needed to calibrate almost every time I used it. My new one a Tropic Eden pro-1 normal seawater refractometer I have only had to tweak it a bit over the past 6 months. I still check it a couple times a month. The Tropic Eden is a way better unit then the Vertex.

Do not use the Sybon Standard Seawater Saline because it is almost 4ppT off.

I use the Pinpoint solution and find it more accurate. Also old calibration solutions are not always accurate.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:56 AM

calo247 is on a distinguished road

i wonder if the electronic testers are immune to this problem as they use conductivity?
Old 08-24-2017, 12:08 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimper View Post
No need to buy those dropper from Amazon or ebay, if you had used those little "Blue Bottles" from Zeovit as they have droppers. I have used them in making my own calibration fluid. It will last a life time
Not that kind of dropper. A sealed one, like eye drops. An open dropper is prone to evaporation and contamination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
Do not use the Sybon Standard Seawater Saline because it is almost 4ppT off.
I have found the same thing even though it is NIST-certified!! I like the dropper bottle it is sealed in though. It reads the same when it's 6 years old.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 08-24-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:26 AM
LOVES STAR WARS... mostly Ewoks and Porgs.

hunggi74 is on a distinguished road

salinity is the most important and easiest parameter to maintain in this hobby. It dictates the starting point of all the elements in your tank. I use a Sybon refractometer and calibrate before I test any new salt water or the water in my tank. Doesn't take that much time but the results can be disastrous if you've got more sensitive corals and are using a unit that isn't calibrated properly
Old 09-06-2017, 02:02 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

HOKKAYYYYYY.
So I went and dropped $25 at Picies to get the Two Little Fishies calibration fluid. Who would of thought a 250mL bottle of saltwater... the most plentiful liquid on the planet... would cost $100.00/L...

Talk about profit margin...

Whining about price aside, my salinity which I thought sat at 1.026 has been more around the 1.022 point... for however long.

Now I have had really good success with most everything in my tank, so take this info with a grain of salt (). I will certainly be slowly raising my salinity but I think this is a strong testament to the power of keeping things stable in the tank.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:51 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoaelite View Post
HOKKAYYYYYY.

So I went and dropped $25 at Picies to get the Two Little Fishies calibration fluid. Who would of thought a 250mL bottle of saltwater... the most plentiful liquid on the planet... would cost $100.00/L...

Talk about profit margin...

Whining about price aside, my salinity which I thought sat at 1.026 has been more around the 1.022 point... for however long.

Now I have had really good success with most everything in my tank, so take this info with a grain of salt (). I will certainly be slowly raising my salinity but I think this is a strong testament to the power of keeping things stable in the tank.

But is the new calibration fluid correct ? Lol

This is the thing that's so frustrating with these calibration fluids. They all seem to give slightly different readings , and sometimes way off. I bought a bottle of the sybon calibration fluid several months ago , and found my tank water was at 1.030!! Damn I thought , but before making any changes , I had a friend come over with his refractometer and his own fluid. His refractometer said my tank water was 1.022 , so I returned the bottle to my LFS and had them check it. Turns out this bottle was off by .004 , they checked the other 4 bottles of sybon fluid on the shelf , and they were all bang on at 1.026 like they were supposed to be.

Anyhow , just something to think about before you adjust your salinity.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:05 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

I feel like I'm currently opening the Pandora's box of calibration fluid .

Thanks for the heads up, if I paid $25 for overpriced saltwater to nuke my tank I'm going to be rather frustrated...

Anyway to calibrate my calibration fluid without buying more calibration fluid?!