Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-30-2009, 03:52 PM

phreezee is on a distinguished road

Sorry about your job

My company just laid off 10% of the office, despite exceeding Q4 expectations and buying a another company for 3/4 of a billion. I hate when companies see their employees as liabilities and not assets. Makes we want to quit.

You see tighter purse strings everywhere and more big brother spending watching.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:27 PM

Pier Pressure is on a distinguished road

Really sorry to hear about this.

Unfortunately business is booming where I work - which is in a lawfirm. Insolvency, foreclosure and litigation are booming right now so I do not think this is all media hype.

Some of you might want to watch who you name and what you say on this public forum -with all the new privacy legislation you could get into some hot water. Just saying...
Old 01-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier Pressure View Post
Really sorry to hear about this.

Unfortunately business is booming where I work - which is in a lawfirm. Insolvency, foreclosure and litigation are booming right now so I do not think this is all media hype.

Some of you might want to watch who you name and what you say on this public forum -with all the new privacy legislation you could get into some hot water. Just saying...
uhhh?
examples?
Old 01-30-2009, 05:09 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post
Sfunny...
I got a raise last month.

anyone in the stock market at all here?
I'm looking around now and thinking this is the greatest opportunity of my life to create wealth, at least as far as canadian public companies go (like talisman and suncor for that matter)

Yes, losing one's job is definitely a time of stress. Sorry to hear about anyone's misfortune in that regard. I'm on a fixed income, but it is an income so I'm lucky not to have to rely on full time employment...yet.

I guess I could say I'm in the market with my RRSP Mutual Fund portfolio. It's bleeding red big time at the moment and really too late to do anything about it. Just have to wait and ride it out. I certainly don't have the cash to take advantage of the low market prices right now. I'm in no position to take out a loan to buy stuff, especially stocks. And there aren't any gov't programs that are going to get me pulling any money out of my RRSP at a loss and start spending it to help get the economy going again.... even though the 'renovation' package recently announced sounds very tempting. My old house is in need of some upgrades.

Hang in there everyone, Canada is and will remain the best place to be, no matter what. The Okanagan valley offers everything I need to enjoy life, ski in the winter, the odd trip into the backcountry, motorcycle/canoe in the summer. No need for high priced vacations to the tropics for me.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:09 PM

Pier Pressure is on a distinguished road

Naming companies is not a good idea, naming companies and saying not to work for them because their foreman is a jerk or whatever could get you sued on a personal level, especially if there is only one person who is a foreman. Oil companies are cut-throat competitive as well and would not appreciate workers saying who is doing well, who is cutting back, etc. We are not allowed to post vendor reviews because of the liability issues. Just letting you know that kind of thing can attract liability issues as well.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier Pressure View Post
Naming companies is not a good idea, naming companies and saying not to work for them because their foreman is a jerk or whatever could get you sued on a personal level, especially if there is only one person who is a foreman. Oil companies are cut-throat competitive as well and would not appreciate workers saying who is doing well, who is cutting back, etc. We are not allowed to post vendor reviews because of the liability issues. Just letting you know that kind of thing can attract liability issues as well.
i see what you mean.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Yes, losing one's job is definitely a time of stress. Sorry to hear about anyone's misfortune in that regard. I'm on a fixed income, but it is an income so I'm lucky not to have to rely on full time employment...yet.

I guess I could say I'm in the market with my RRSP Mutual Fund portfolio. It's bleeding red big time at the moment and really too late to do anything about it. Just have to wait and ride it out. I certainly don't have the cash to take advantage of the low market prices right now. I'm in no position to take out a loan to buy stuff, especially stocks. And there aren't any gov't programs that are going to get me pulling any money out of my RRSP at a loss and start spending it to help get the economy going again.... even though the 'renovation' package recently announced sounds very tempting. My old house is in need of some upgrades.

Hang in there everyone, Canada is and will remain the best place to be, no matter what. The Okanagan valley offers everything I need to enjoy life, ski in the winter, the odd trip into the backcountry, motorcycle/canoe in the summer. No need for high priced vacations to the tropics for me.
Oh man, I feel for ya mike.
Some of those rrsp fund managers really blew it without doing due diligence on what they were buying.
Others, they made all the safe calls, but just got pulled down with the rest of us in the panic sell off of EVERYTHING in October.
Good point on Canada, our banks were much smarter than just about everyone elses and we are exceptionally rich in resources compared to 90% of the world.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:47 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Thanks, but no worries. I'm still in good shape, no debts and I'm very patient when I need to be. Feel for those that actually lost their job...
Old 01-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Banned

feel worse for those who lost their retirement in mutual fund/rrsp's that were supposed to be 0 risk...
Old 01-30-2009, 07:09 PM

steve fedyk is on a distinguished road

I got layed off last week and found a new job back at the pressure shop. I'm fitter/welder and I sand blast and paint on the side. Took a big pay from the ship yard to the shop, But lots of over time for the next week and that no work. My dad works for Sunco on one of the new biulds but they are slowing down untill April. Eveyone say we will be picking up in April.
In Vancauver we have the 2010 hole (games) with lots of biulds todo.