Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-16-2015, 03:42 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I'm really liking your 69 Mindy! Hoping to see more of this 69 as it plays out.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:52 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Old 04-16-2015, 07:05 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
That will be an interesting build
Thanks, I hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer Juice View Post
hmmm like the sump layout , maybe I should incorporate a auto top off this time around for my tank . I usually stay away from gadgets and do everything manually .
ATO is the bomb, same with automated dosing. These two things are MUST HAVE gadgets as far as I'm concerned, and I'm a KISS method person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
There will be lots of action!

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:28 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

First of all love the dimensions and volume, giggity... Wondering about you weir gap though, gigggity. Have you decided what you wanna use for power heads? If they create a wave then I have a concern you won't have consistent surface skimming through the overflow. I tried a 3/8 gap once like that, giggggity and the wave maker caused the water to pulse and kind of vapour lock. You might wanna add some vertical slots, or a bunch of them, just a thought. Or make the gap wide enough, ummmmm , so to avoid this but not too big for snails to get lost in the back?.
Also, does the eurobrace cover the back overflow section or would there be access? I see a detritus trap down there

Following along

Quagmire
Old 04-17-2015, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
First of all love the dimensions and volume, giggity... Wondering about you weir gap though, gigggity. Have you decided what you wanna use for power heads?

Also, does the eurobrace cover the back overflow section or would there be access? I see a detritus trap down there.
Volume is a nice round number eh?

Tunze 6055s....no wave. You do raise a good point though...I'll keep it in mind.

The eurobrace does not cover the back area...it goes around the display part only. The standpipes will be removable for water changes...sump holds the full volume.

What's in the bag?? uploadfromtaptalk1429237975152.jpg

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:56 AM

Wretch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Volume is a nice round number eh?

Tunze 6055s....no wave. You do raise a good point though...I'll keep it in mind.

The eurobrace does not cover the back area...it goes around the display part only. The standpipes will be removable for water changes...sump holds the full volume.

What's in the bag?? Attachment 14053
Well that would be a bubble king.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretch View Post
Well that would be a bubble king.
Sideways too. Haha, I can never get Tapatalk to do what I want.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:41 AM

Here's sump version 3.0!!! Now we're playing with fire...

The two cylinders at the back represent the Herbie drains, and the two cylinders near the front represent reactors. The grey mesh looking stuff represents egg crate to hold a filter pad. There is enough space in the sump so that if the ATO gets stuck on the sump will hold that volume (4 gallons of RO/DI), and then if the power fails at the same time and the overflow chamber of the tank drains (it shouldn't anyway) it will hold that volume (9 gallons) as well with about 1 1/2 gallons to spare.

The overflow chamber holds 9 gallons, and I will design the plumbing so I can pull the Herbie emergency standpipe, the overflow will drain to the sump, and I can use the return pump (with a tee to a hose to a bucket) to pump that 9 gallons out for easy water changes. A little smaller than I'd like, but maybe I can figure something out to get a few more gallons down to the sump. The skimmer area is 15 x 12" and would probably hold something even bigger if it fits in there at an angle.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-18-2015 at 03:53 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:05 AM

The only drawback I can see to this design (so far) is that I don't think I could fit my Reef Dynamics biopellet reactor into the sump anywhere (footprint is 10 x 4"). I don't think I will want to run biopellets, but it's a nice option. I could always just buy the external pump for the BP reactor, so the option isn't completely ruled out.

The other thing I'm weighing right now is if I want to move the bulkheads in the overflow. Maybe I want them all in the middle. You see Vancity?? You did make me think about the possibility of waves, but not so much for the weir, but the drains. I'm not going to have a "wavebox" type wave, but obviously in a high flow tank there will be random waves. Hmm...

Next up, decide what to do for the stand...and build it. Tank won't be here for a month at least I'm thinking - gotta wait for enough tanks to be on the order.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-18-2015 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:31 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I'm thinking about a new sump for myself and one of my ideas may help you out ... if you have the space.

I want the ability to perform a WC of larger volume, and the only way I can see myself doing it is to 'T' the drain lines to the return section and sock/pre-skimmer section.

I see having a pair of valves on the drains. One valve shuts off the flow to the socks/whatever, and the other valve would then open the flow to the return pump section.
Now, whenever I want to perform a WC, I close off the flow to the socks/etc and open the flow to the return chamber. Now I can utilize all of the volume contained in the sock/skimmer chamber for a WC. And all without turning off the return pump

I'm still working on it for my new sump, but thought I may as well throw it out there for you Mindy, and everyone else