Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-15-2015, 01:07 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Greg, I like your ideas, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the weir design. I'm just going to silicone some 1/4" acrylic half-round rod to the top of the weir wall. This will raise the water level in the tank a sniff too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherd View Post
My dream tank would have a weir. They look so stealth
I know, eh!

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:28 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I'm just going to silicone some 1/4" acrylic half-round rod to the top of the weir wall. This will raise the water level in the tank a sniff too.
Even better
Old 06-15-2015, 02:47 PM

I got the sump finished up last night with the trim that Dave sent me. I'm putting another coat of paint on the inside of the stand this morning, and then that will all be done. I was too distracted with everything else last week that I didn't get my plumbing order into Bayside, so I'm just waiting for that. Unfortunately, I won't have very much spare time for the next two weeks, so it will be a challenge to get it running right away.

It turns out the 1/4" acrylic half-round rod isn't easy to find either. 1/2" not so bad. Of course!

I have a friend with a 3D printer, and he's printing me up some custom fit rounded screen corners so I can make a screen lid for the tank that will sit inside the eurobrace and be flush with the top of it.

I also have to modify some light hanging arms I have so they will fit onto my stand.

Then after all that, and the tank is running then I have to get started on the panels to finish the outside of the stand!

Whew!

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:52 PM

Now that I actually have the tank the project has ground to a halt! I have some commitments last week and this week that have taken up all my free time. My plan is to get the tank running this Saturday. I was planning to get it going last Saturday, but I noticed there is a small gap between the tank and the stand (~1/16") in opposite corners, so I had to get some styrofoam to fix that. I can't lift the tank myself, and hubby wasn't home to help.

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:08 PM

Well, the tank is running. I have a leaky bulkhead that I might have to replace. Tightening it doesn't seem to get that last bit of seepage. I haven't installed the half-round to the weir to make the gap smaller yet, but so far no fish have gone over anyway. I might leave it, but the water level in the tank is 1 1/2" from the eurobracing which is way further than I was hoping for. No need for eurobracing if the water level is that low.

It's been a long time since I weighed rock before putting it into the tank, so this time I weighed it all piece by piece so I have an accurate number. Interestingly, I only used rock that was already in the 50-gallon tank, so I didn't have to add any of the rock that I acid washed. So I have about 100 lbs I can sell. Ha! All the rock that I used in the new tank is all branch rock, so it's super light - only 28 lbs in the tank!

I did all the plumbing using grey SCH80 pipe and fittings. I was short one bushing fitting for the return pump, so I did it in white (I have tons of white pipe and fittings). I have a new Eheim Compact 3000 return pump on the way right now anyway, so I'll redo the return plumbing when I install that pump. I am adding a tee into it with ball valves for my water changes anyway.

My original plan was to run the tank bare bottom. I was expecting the tank to show up with a clear bottom pane which I was going to paint white, but it showed up with black vinyl on it and then the tank was built onto particle board. So the tank has a black bottom. I'm not sure I'm keen on the black bottom, so I washed some sand to put in the tank, but now I'm kinda diggin' the black look (no reflection). So I'm going to hold off on the sand for now. I'll have to add a little tray of sand/rubble for my pistol shrimp though. Poor guy doesn't know what to do with himself. I'll get a little black acrylic box made for him - or maybe I'll just cut down one of those coral viewers. Or maybe I'll get Concept to build me a little polished tray.

I still have to get the light hanger installed, it's on some SWEET unpainted 2x4s right now. I have to get the screen lid installed too. I have a friend with a 3D printer and he's printing me up some custom-fit round corners to fit into the eurobracing. They even have a lip on them to hold the screen in place so it will fit flush to the surface of the eurobracing with no tabs to hold it in place.

There's a bunch of corals in the tank that still need to find a home. The only fluff I'm keeping are the rainbow brain, the Space Invader Pectina, a few select Zoas. Even most of the current SPS are going to find their way out of the tank (the birdnest, the tricolor, and the Pocci).

During the tank transfer I remove some fish too. I have left a breeding pair of beautiful Onyx Perculas, a big old Pajama Cardinal, and a Royal Gramma. I had a breeding pair of red Firefish too, but during the tank transfer one jumped out and I didn't notice in time to save it. I decided to re-home the remaining red Firefish and will replace them with Purple Firefish I think, maybe Helfrich's.

The dimensions of the display portion ended up being 36 x 20 x 21" so it is no longer 69 gallons, BUT if you include the back chamber, remove the glass displacement of the entire tank, then the actual tank volume is 69.7 gallons. So I'm still calling it 69-gallons. The sump has another roughly 14 gallons in it taking glass displacement into consideration, so the whole system has about 73 gallons of water, minus rock displacement, so pretty close to 70 gallons of actual water volume.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 07-04-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:45 PM

Here's a crappy photo to show the size difference of the old 50-gallon and the new 69-gallon.

Here's the view from the recliner.

A couple photos showing the little pipe stilts I made to hold the rock off the bottom for optimal water flow and to prevent detritus settling.

A couple closer photos showing the rock - though it's hard to see very well with all those fluffy corals on the bottom.

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:50 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

👍
Old 07-05-2015, 01:36 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Looks good Mindy. As you know I vote for no sand. . I like the way they are up on pedestals. Hopefully my plan of the large rocks on the small ends will be something like that
Old 07-05-2015, 07:23 AM

wreck is on a distinguished road

Looks awesome!!!!
Old 07-05-2015, 01:44 PM

Thanks guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Looks good Mindy. As you know I vote for no sand. . I like the way they are up on pedestals. Hopefully my plan of the large rocks on the small ends will be something like that
Ya I don't want sand, but I'm just not sure about the black bottom. I was also planning on putting a Jawfish or two in and some Wrasses so I don't know - decisions!

The little stilts ended up working out really easily and now that I adjusted the powerheads there is no detritus settling under there at all. I'm going to have to experiment with what to do with the Zoas I'm keeping. They are on tiles now...maybe out stilts under them or maybe I'll peel them off and put them onto the rocks. Hmm...

Oh and I placed an order with Greg that's going to fill the tank and then some I think.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 07-05-2015 at 01:46 PM.