Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-15-2011, 01:17 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

I personally never had any cyano or any other algae outbreak from the pellets.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 03-15-2011, 01:22 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
I personally never had any cyano or any other algae outbreak from the pellets.
Global, do you have a refugium in your setup? How much pellets did you start with?

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 03-15-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
Global, do you have a refugium in your setup? How much pellets did you start with?
I do have a refuge in my sump. It has changed over the past year, due to SPS issues.

Refuge use to have 9-10 inches DSB with about 8 inches of LR. A few months back I got rid of the DSB, and just had the existing LR that was in it put back in. Just this weekend, I have now filled the refuge with LR, where the rock is above the water line, creating a LR filter.

I run approx 2.5 litres, but also dosing Vodka. I am still in the ramp up stages of the vodka, so haven't reached the maintenance dose yet. Reason for the vodka is that I had high phosphates which probably was the main cause of my coral deaths. The vodka dosing has brought the high phosphates down to almost nothing. don't know where the phosphates are coming/came from, but this is helping.

Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Old 03-15-2011, 04:43 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I do have a refuge in my sump. It has changed over the past year, due to SPS issues.

Refuge use to have 9-10 inches DSB with about 8 inches of LR. A few months back I got rid of the DSB, and just had the existing LR that was in it put back in. Just this weekend, I have now filled the refuge with LR, where the rock is above the water line, creating a LR filter.

I run approx 2.5 litres, but also dosing Vodka. I am still in the ramp up stages of the vodka, so haven't reached the maintenance dose yet. Reason for the vodka is that I had high phosphates which probably was the main cause of my coral deaths. The vodka dosing has brought the high phosphates down to almost nothing. don't know where the phosphates are coming/came from, but this is helping.
Thanks for the detailed description as I am in the same boat tying to figure out what to do with my refugium. I had the same issue with phosphate being higher than nitrate, when I first started using the pellets both elements started to decrease but once nitrate reach undetectable levels the phosphate stopped decreasing. I was stuck with that bit of phosphate that I couldn't get rid off no matter what I tried, then finally I started running Rowaphos. Vorla, All of sudden phosphate dropped to zero, well I guess not exactly zero but good enough that my Hanna phosphate test kit reads zero. Now because I am running pellets, Rowaphos and carbon, I am planning to get rid of my refugium with semi dsb( only around 4 inches of sand) with LR and run a oversized vertex 300 cone skimmer. I just don't think the refug is needed anymore. The only down side to all this is pellets takes away oxygen, absorbs other metal elements and it address the ph swing during night time plus after I started running pellets I noticed my orp dropped from 450 to 375. Its hard to decide what to do, i guess refugium is good if you use a little bit of pellets and are able to grow chaetos and harvest it frequently. One question, I always thought it takes a bit of work to dose vodka maybe you should try rowaphos, it just seem to be a lot less work.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 03-15-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
Thanks for the detailed description as I am in the same boat tying to figure out what to do with my refugium. I had the same issue with phosphate being higher than nitrate, when I first started using the pellets both elements started to decrease but once nitrate reach undetectable levels the phosphate stopped decreasing. I was stuck with that bit of phosphate that I couldn't get rid off no matter what I tried, then finally I started running Rowaphos. Vorla, All of sudden phosphate dropped to zero, well I guess not exactly zero but good enough that my Hanna phosphate test kit reads zero. Now because I am running pellets, Rowaphos and carbon, I am planning to get rid of my refugium with semi dsb( only around 4 inches of sand) with LR and run a oversized vertex 300 cone skimmer. I just don't think the refug is needed anymore. The only down side to all this is pellets takes away oxygen, absorbs other metal elements and it address the ph swing during night time plus after I started running pellets I noticed my orp dropped from 450 to 375. Its hard to decide what to do, i guess refugium is good if you use a little bit of pellets and are able to grow chaetos and harvest it frequently. One question, I always thought it takes a bit of work to dose vodka maybe you should try rowaphos, it just seem to be a lot less work.
rowaphos is less work, but expensive for what it is. Vodka dosing isn't that bad, and eventually I will automate. The bacteria produced from the vodka also gives you the benefit of the bacteria, just like the Pellets, but I think in a grander scale.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:07 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I ditched my refugium when I went bioPellets and re built my sump with a larger reactor chamber to house more bioPellets instead

I had the same issue with BP and phosphates.. Could not get phos down low enough so had to install rowaphos. Now both nitrate and phos are zero and I like that I don't have to dose anything.

Different strokes for different folks. That's the great thing about this hobby. There are different methods to suit different people. Unfortunately this is also one of the most annoying aspects of this hobby! LOL
Old 03-15-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I ditched my refugium when I went bioPellets and re built my sump with a larger reactor chamber to house more bioPellets instead

I had the same issue with BP and phosphates.. Could not get phos down low enough so had to install rowaphos. Now both nitrate and phos are zero and I like that I don't have to dose anything.

Different strokes for different folks. That's the great thing about this hobby. There are different methods to suit different people. Unfortunately this is also one of the most annoying aspects of this hobby! LOL
How often do you all replace the rowas? Monthly?

Old 03-15-2011, 04:36 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
How often do you all replace the rowas? Monthly?
I replace rowaphos monthly and run about a cup and a halfs worth.