Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-27-2015, 03:28 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road
Default RW-4 in a 20G

I have a 20G long tank with LPS and softies in it. For flow and filtration I have 2 power filters running floss, carbon and chemiclean that put out a total of 300gph or 15X turn over rate. Everything seems happy and is growing but I'm concerned about just having a constant downward flow pattern permanently. I would like to add a mild random flow to the tank and was thinking about the Jebao RW-4 and running it on Else mode on it's lowest setting but I previously had a WP-25 on a 29g tank and it was just too much. Does anyone have any experience with the RW-4 on a small tank? I have a torch, elegance, frogspawn and long tentacle plate coral that I don't want to remain in a contracted state due to too much flow. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2015, 04:40 AM

JmeJReefer is on a distinguished road

From my understanding, the rw-4 is equivalent to the jebao wp-10 which is in my 14g biocube without issues. An rw-4 will be fine in a 20 gallon. A low intensity "else" mode should give u the random flow ur lookin for.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:38 AM

bleevin is on a distinguished road

I have a rw-4 in a 20g long. I can't seem to run it in else mode. It produces a lot of undertow? and slowly clears the sand under the pump. So far the only way I can run it, is in W1 mode.

I have about an inch of sand and the pump is about 2 1/2 inches below the water line. The water line is about 0.25 inchs below the bottom of the black trim.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleevin View Post
I have a rw-4 in a 20g long. I can't seem to run it in else mode. It produces a lot of undertow? and slowly clears the sand under the pump. So far the only way I can run it, is in W1 mode.

I have about an inch of sand and the pump is about 2 1/2 inches below the water line. The water line is about 0.25 inchs below the bottom of the black trim.
I had the same problem with the WP-25, I could only use W-1 as well. I have a pretty fine sand for my goby and wrasse. I had to switch out my Aquaclear 70 for a 30 model because it push all my sand around.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmeJReefer View Post
From my understanding, the rw-4 is equivalent to the jebao wp-10 which is in my 14g biocube without issues. An rw-4 will be fine in a 20 gallon. A low intensity "else" mode should give u the random flow ur lookin for.
Do you have a sand bed in your tank? Fine or coarse sand? Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-27-2015, 06:58 PM

Course. Yeah. A wp-25 is pretty powerful for a 20 gallon.
I'm kinda baffled that an rw-4 is too much for a 20 gallon... The fishstreet store states that the rw models correspond as such:
Wp-10=rw4
Wp-25=rw8
And so on....
The flow should be similar. Maybe I'm wrong or ur rw4 has a supercharger....
Even a low intensity "else" mode kicking up sand?
Old 06-27-2015, 07:01 PM

Wp10 in my biocube 14 on else mode.
No sand, just a happy cube of water..., and I just noticed my gorgonian got re homed.... Thanks maroon clownfish... I always like ur Reno ideas....
Old 06-28-2015, 01:57 AM

bleevin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmeJReefer View Post
Course. Yeah. A wp-25 is pretty powerful for a 20 gallon.
I'm kinda baffled that an rw-4 is too much for a 20 gallon... The fishstreet store states that the rw models correspond as such:
Wp-10=rw4
Wp-25=rw8
And so on....
The flow should be similar. Maybe I'm wrong or ur rw4 has a supercharger....
Even a low intensity "else" mode kicking up sand?
I've tried it on low intensity else mode... it doesn't kick the sand up but eventually the area under the pump is cleared of sand right to the bottom. I have caribsea fiji pink sand.

It might be the positioning of my pump or may need to be in a taller tank. I think the rw4's are great though. They push a lot of water around.

The rw4 are equivalent to wp10's but the design of the pump casing is different.

Last edited by bleevin; 06-28-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:55 PM

I think I'll give the RW-4 a shot and get the adjustable power supply at the same time so I can dial it down further if needed.