Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 12-28-2018, 04:57 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Apex - talk me in, or talk me out :)

So, thinking of buying an Apex, just not sure I need it.

New setup is ATI lighting with on board controller, Jebao pumps with control (I think?), auto top off will be float controlled. Heaters have controls (sorta).

Opinions on throwing $1000 at better control?
Old 12-28-2018, 06:48 PM
Vendor

JamRobo is on a distinguished road

honestly if you want the ability to program your tank and have probs etc its handy and worth it.

if your looking for the ability to control your tank from your phone amazon wifi powerbar work great.
at 40 bucks for controlable 4 plugs its cost effective!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2018, 09:01 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRobo View Post
honestly if you want the ability to program your tank and have probs etc its handy and worth it.

if your looking for the ability to control your tank from your phone amazon wifi powerbar work great.
at 40 bucks for controlable 4 plugs its cost effective!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I do like to program a few things, and hate timers, but, $1000.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:22 PM

scherzo is on a distinguished road

I've had an Apex for years - Using it wth Radions, Mp40s, 10s, fuge light, skimmer, main pump, heater, and old school float switches and water lifter for an ATO.

It worked great for years. Then one of my float switches crapped out on me ( it was 5 years old) - but the Apex warned me that it was going to overflow my sump and it stopped disaster. It happened a few times because I thought it might have just been a dirty float switch.

I decided to switch to an ATK from Neptune - and then things went weird and downhill. Problem with the ATK from the get go - Then my APEX brain decided to die - which wreaked havoc for weeks while I tried to trouble shoot.

Neptune's customer service was great. I was able to get all of the parts swapped out for the ATK whenever they crapped out - and they gave me a deal on an Apex brain when mine died (I think mine was bought in 2010? or 2011).

Having said all of this - it ran for many many years without problems and was great. BUT - when things went bad - things went really really bad and it was a pain to get it back up and running. It happened during my busiest time(s) of the year for me personally and it took me months to finally trouble shoot and get things going again. We are back to normal now after 4 months of fiddling and troubleshooting.

Not sure if this talks you in or out of it.... but
When it works - it works great.
If the brain goes weird on you - it sucks.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:25 PM
Just a guy..

Ya, I used one for a long time on my last builds, always loved it, saved my butt a couple times, and when it died, it was a huge hassle to get back online after they gave me a deal on a new one. Always keep a current back up config -lol
Old 12-29-2018, 12:07 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Go old school ...
Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Elite. Gives you 63 module ability over the Lite version's 4 modules.
A module consists of; a power bar, an sl1 or sl2, a moonlight module, a pump module, a dimmable light module, etc etc.
Download or get from me 'myReef 2.0' and use this Windows based program to do all your programming on-screen - no 'on this' or 'off that' Apex crap.
Been running it for 7 years and love it.
Finding a used one is your next job. The replacement was the new Archon system, but it looks like DA is now out of the controller biz.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:25 AM
Just a guy..

Greg, the Apex interface is way better now with the Fusion page, it's all GUI based, not the old on/off stuff from years ago.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:25 AM
Just a guy..

And what is a Gold Member??? :P
Old 12-29-2018, 12:47 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
And what is a Gold Member??? :P
He gave me $20.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:52 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
He gave me $20.
I never thought of that....