Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Seacare Maricultured Products > Ocean Fresh Coral Grow Additives

Old 03-20-2015, 08:05 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road
Default How do I automate Foz Down dosing via ATO??

I just had someone ask me how to automate Foz Down Dosing via ATO so I thought I would post the steps listed in my private response to them. Hopefully this will help other people to see how easy and inexpensive it really is.

Here's what I would do.
1. Remove the GFO reactor once media is exhausted.
2. Next day test Phosphate level.
3. Test the Phosphate level again the following day to get an idea of the amount of Phosphate produced by tank on a daily basis. If the readings between step 2 and 3 are the same then I would wait 5 days but divide the result by 5.
4. Measure how much water your ATO uses on a daily basis.
5. Calculate how many days your ATO reservoir of water will last.
6. Calculate how much Foz Down to add on a daily basis to remove the Phosphate calculated in step 3.
7. Multiply the amount calculated in step 6 by the # of days worth of water in the ATO reservoir.
8. Add the amount of Foz Down calculated in Step 7 to the ATO reservoir and then fill ATO reservoir with RO/DI water.
9. After ATO reservoir is empty measure the Phosphate level in tank and adjust dosage as necessary.

Here's an example:
100 gallon aquarium produces 0.01mg/l phosphate per day and has an ATO reservoir that holds 5 gallons of water. The ATO reservoir uses 1/2 gallon per day.

Step 3: = 0.01 mg/l

Step 4: = 1/2 gallon

Step 5: = 5 gallons / 0.5 gallons/day = 10 days

Step 6:
1 drop of Foz Down will remove 0.04mg/l Phosphate from 10 gallons. This can also be expressed as 0.04 * 10 = .4mg/l in 1 gallon.
The tank produces 0.01mg/l for 100 gallons which equals .01mg/l * 100 gallons = 1 mg/l in 1 gallon.
If we divide 1.0mg/l per gallon from tank production by 0.4mg/l per gallon removed by one drop of Foz Down we get 2.5 drops per day.
So the tank would need a daily addition of 2.5 drops to neutralize the Phosphate produced.

Step 7: 2.5 drops per day from step 6 * 10 days from step 5 = 25 drops.

Step 8: Add 25 drops of Foz Down to ATO reservoir and then fill with RO/DI water.

Conclusion to the example:
An 8 oz bottle of Foz Down contains about 4800 drops(240ml * 20 drops/ml). This would mean that the Phosphate in the tank could be neutralized for: 4800 drops per bottle / 2.5 drops per day = 1920 days per bottle or 5.26 years.

Every tank will be different in daily Phosphate production. This depends mainly on the amount of food going in. Some tanks may have bound up Phosphate in the rocks and sand that will need to be removed first.

This is why I say that Foz Down is a great way to control Phosphate.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 03-20-2015, 08:19 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Tim, while you're in the mood for math, what volume from the bottle do I need to add daily to 120g total volume? I ask as my current bottle won't do drops. It just kind of dribbles and squirts I'd rather just measure in a syringe and dose.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:57 PM

Hi Brad,

Need more info... how much Phosphate do you need to neutralize?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:24 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Hi Brad,

Need more info... how much Phosphate do you need to neutralize?
All of it, Tim, all of it

Seriously, just trying to dose the recommended dosage of 10 drops per day per 100g. I would guess my PO4 level currently is 0.2ppm or less. But in no rush to drop it...what do you suggest?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro
I would guess my PO4 level currently is 0.2ppm or less. But in no rush to drop it...what do you suggest?
I would say of the top of my head to try 0.8 ml a day for a week and then test and see where the tank is at.

Do you run an ATO reservoir or just a float valve off RO?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:30 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
I would say of the top of my head to try 0.8 ml a day for a week and then test and see where the tank is at.

Do you run an ATO reservoir or just a float valve off RO?
kk

Just run direct off RO, nowhere to dose it automagically.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:19 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

So how many drops make 1ml ?
Old 03-22-2015, 03:03 AM

The standard amount seems to be 20 drops in an mL.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:44 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Would this work if I use kalk in my top off?
Old 03-29-2015, 03:37 AM

No, I would not recommend mixing the two in a top off.

Cheers,
Tim