Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-29-2017, 01:50 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Spend less? I used to be able to buy a nice little colony for $50. Now thats what the frag costs and the colony is $150. The price of salt in this province has also doubled over the last decade while our many of our wages have stayed the same. No I think we're spending more than ever or just buying less.
People used to buy like 3 or 4 colonies for say $250, now they buy 3 or 4 frags for say $80. People would rather spend $25 for a micro-sized frag than $150 for a colony. That's what I mean. Sure there are still some us who will pay $400 for a micro-sized frag, but that wasn't even an option 10 years ago. Lots of nano tanks too. You don't really see that here at Canreef, there's an odd bunch of us left here, and not the usual reefer here anymore. Watch the Facebook groups with all the newbies - they aren't the same as us who've been in the hobby for 10 or 20 or 30 years.

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:38 PM

Reef-Geek is on a distinguished road

May not be true in other regions but definitely true in BC. High real estate prices are pushing away small business
Old 06-29-2017, 10:21 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

Ya frags are fine but I'd rather a nice big coral to start off with. So hard to find in Vancouver now. I find anyway...
Old 07-01-2017, 02:12 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
Ya frags are fine but I'd rather a nice big coral to start off with. So hard to find in Vancouver now. I find anyway...
I like colonies too if I'm buying LPS or Zoas. For Acros I like frags because colonies always look funky when they start growing in a new tank.

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:52 PM

corpusse is on a distinguished road

I would say it's both easier and harder. Easier if you have $$$

I live in the middle of nowhere now, but there are quite a few places that ship corals and many of them always have stock. For the first 11 or so years in the hobby I was in the gta and saw a lot of changes.

10+ years ago there were about 3-4 dedicated reef shops + big als who at the time had quite poor selection. Coral colonies were routinely $40 regardless of what it was and occasionally 3 for 100 or $30 for stock that did not sell the first day. If you weren't there the first day you were getting brown pieces.

In the old days in the toronto area regardless of what shop it was you had to line up before the store opened on shipment day. I can recall on more then one occasion running into a store to grab something I saw a picture of posted. People buying zoa's that only had a few polyps open because they couldn't take the chance someone else would snatch it. Back then you'd bag your own coral because there were several dozen people in the store. Even the busier stores would let a few people in lock the door and let a few more in after they left.

I recall catching a purple tang myself and at the time $90 seemed very expensive but red sea shipments were not as common. Now they are routinely up to $200. Some of that is the dollar, some of that is the passage of time and some is demand. 2 weeks later you can still find decent pieces in shops.

When Australia first opened up the line ups were even longer. Now can find some nice frags and even some colonies, 24/7 online. Since these prices were already considerably higher than indo the prices for aussie stuff hasn't seen the same kind of inflation. Even fish regular stuff is always available and moderately rare stuff is also not as difficult to locate just considerably pricier. Look at J&L's current livestock list as an example of stuff that a few short years ago were much harder to find.

Now at least in the gta there are a ton more both reef stores and fish stores that sell saltwater stuff. I'd say about a dozen good to pretty good ones just off the top of my head. If one store doesn't have what you want you can just go to the next and your shopping schedule is not limited to when the store opens on shipment day.

Online selection for corals still has a long way to go but that being said anytime of any day you can probably find something you'd want to put in your tank unless you are jam packed or super picky. Fish hasn't really changed much. J&L's new and noteworthy still shows the same amount of livestock as when I ordered naked clownfish from them in 2006 (still have one).

This is a little different perspective then those on the west coast but to sum up I'd say selection has greatly improved but price has drastically increased due to demand, dollar and the passage of time.