Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-04-2016, 05:19 AM

ashr is on a distinguished road
Default Switching back to T5 from LED

Hey all

I have been running Kessils on my nano for about a year now. Not really liking them anymore so I decided to build a new tank and I am running my 8 bulb ATI fixture. Tanks about 1.5 months old now. All cycled and I have started to move fish and coral over.

Any feedback from others who have done this? So far the corals I have added are not super happy. Zoas not full open etc. Even my GSP won't open.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I ran my Kessils around 55% and I am starting my T5 low -33%-45% and will raise it over time..

Ashr's Tank Journal

Last edited by ashr; 10-04-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:32 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I highly doubt it's the light switch causing your problems. How high off the water was the Kessil and how high off the water is the ATI? Assuming typical light heights, I would think your corals are probably getting less light now with the T5 turned down so low. I assume your new tank is bigger than the nano? You added rock? Dry rock or live rock? Did you cycle it first?

That said, in my SPS tank (36x21x21") I can't turn my 6-bulb ATI on at 100% using all ATI bulbs. I have CH1 on for 12 hours a day at 100%, and CH2 I can't go beyond 70% for 6 hours. Maybe you want to disconnect one of the ballasts controlling 2 bulbs or look for a trade for a 6-bulb or possibly just use lower PAR bulbs. Sounds like an awful lot of light for a mixed reef. I don't think that's your problem right now though.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:42 PM

ashr is on a distinguished road

You make a pretty good point on the light height. The Kessils where around 3-4" above the water and the T5 is around 6-7" now. I suppose I moved the T5 fixture higher as I didn't want to explode the tank with a ton of light.

That being said, I should look at my timer again and see if I can change it up to provide more light.

As per the cycle, I used live and base rock. The tank cycled for around a month and when she was finished I added 3 new fish. Waited a few days and added to more chromies. I am getting diatoms and such so the tank is good to go.. But maybe still to new..

What sucks is I have a really nice clam in the nano so I don't wanna put that into the new tank until she is 100% which means I have to run both tanks for a bit haha

Ashr's Tank Journal