Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2014, 02:02 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road
Default Getting Back In!

Hi everyone. So I moved from Edmonton to Banff about 5 years ago and have been without a saltwater tank since then. My things have changed in those years. Led were just starting out and i think the only dc volt return pump was the red dragon. I'm just putting together a new set up, waiting for my new tank to be build by Ocean Creations in Calgary. I bought a system from an individual that was shutting down so I have a temporary tank set up for now. So far I have all the live rock I need, two ecotech radion xr30w's, a eshoppes s-200 cone skimmer (too big for my new tank so coming up for sale soon)and most everything else except for a couple key components. Right now I'm trying to decide between powerheads and return pumps. For a return pump I've been cosidering a Reef Octopus RODC 3500. Does anyone have experience with these? Are they reliable? I heard the old generation diablo pumps were not.?. And for the powerheads either Tunze's or Ecotechs. With having the Ecotech lights I would prefer to go that route but only issue with the Ecotech powerheads is that the tank is going to be fairly small. 30Lx24wx18tall. The custom tank is thicker then recommended for mp 10's and i think the mp 40's maybe too powerful. The tank is gonna be softies and Lps only. So maybe Tunzes? Reliable? Quiet? What brand is best? Any help making this decision would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!