Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-06-2017, 04:25 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road
Default Importing Coral Discussion (CITES)

Already planning my trip.

(Mod edit) Thread about Macna 2018 in Seattle deleted.

Last edited by WarDog; 07-11-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:49 PM

I've started looking into bringing items back to Canada from Macna.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/.../1331908089467
Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 PM

shiftline is on a distinguished road

As for corals what if any are we actually allowed to bring back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by WarDog; 07-11-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:03 PM

Coral importing seems complicated but I've reached out for info.

On the website...

Pet aquatic animal exemption
When importing an aquatic animal, an import permit will not be required when the owner can:

• present proof of their identity and their ownership of the aquatic animal to the inspector at the point of entry into Canada
• attest to the fact that the pet animal has not been taken to a show or display outside of Canada
• keep the pet animal in their household aquarium
• ensure the pet animal is not exposed to any aquatic animals other than those kept in the household, for one year following the importation
• not import another pet aquatic animal as listed below for the period of 90 days after the importation
• keep all records of the importation

- and -

The pet aquatic animal is one of the following susceptible species of finfish:
• Barbonymus gonionotus
• Carassius auratus
• Colisa lalia
• Danio rerio
• Glossogobius giuris
• Osphronemus goramy
• Oxyeleotris marmorata
• Poecilia reticulata
• Puntius sophore
• Symphysodon discus
• Toxotes chatareus
• Trichogaster pectoralis
• Trichogaster trichopterus

When importing pet aquatic animals, the owner is required to complete and provide the Importer's Declaration of Ownership for Pet Aquatic Animals Form at the point of entry.
Import permits are required for all live susceptible species of finfish including those listed above if the requirements for the pet aquatic animal exemption are not met.
For susceptible molluscs and crustaceans, an import permit is necessary unless the requirements for the personal use exemption found in the Health of Animals Regulations are met.
The import requirements for pet aquatic animals can be found in the Health of Animals Regulations.
For more information, contact your CFIA Animal Health Office.
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES)
It is the importer's/owner's responsibility to determine whether the species being imported is subject to the controls imposed by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), which are administered by the Canadian Wildlife Service. Please contact the Canadian Wildlife Service for information.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:57 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

As far as I understand, you are required to have CITES for any LPS or SPS crossing the border.

Last edited by WarDog; 07-11-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:42 AM
Vendor

JamRobo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
Me too. I'm stocked it ma close and driveable!

As for corals what if any are we actually allowed to bring back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey shift. Ive brought over corals multiple times now, the main thing is everything you bring accross has to be for "your tank" not anyone elses, not for re sale... for your own personal use. Ive had no issues bringing anything accross, fish and inverts are also fine....
One thing i do recommend and will save you from hours of cbsa reaserching to make sure its admissable is to go on
AIRS
http://airs-sari.inspection.gc.ca/ai...sions-eng.aspx

Use the drop downs to narrow the search down to fish and invertabres. I dont exactly remember what selections get you to the fish and coral but its there. Once you reach the last drop down option it will either say approved or denied. Print that page and bring it with you and they can use the shortcut code and it will bring it right up on their computers!

Just remember..... its for YOUR OWN TANK!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2017, 07:50 AM

F.H is on a distinguished road

^ Interesting. If anyone figures out the number selections to end up with "coral" or something relevant then please post it.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:32 PM

DAVE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRobo View Post
Hey shift. Ive brought over corals multiple times now, the main thing is everything you bring accross has to be for "your tank" not anyone elses, not for re sale... for your own personal use. Ive had no issues bringing anything accross, fish and inverts are also fine....
One thing i do recommend and will save you from hours of cbsa reaserching to make sure its admissable is to go on
AIRS
http://airs-sari.inspection.gc.ca/ai...sions-eng.aspx

Use the drop downs to narrow the search down to fish and invertabres. I dont exactly remember what selections get you to the fish and coral but its there. Once you reach the last drop down option it will either say approved or denied. Print that page and bring it with you and they can use the shortcut code and it will bring it right up on their computers!

Just remember..... its for YOUR OWN TANK!

This is POOR advice and you are rolling the dice each time you bring back a CITIES required coral over the border. Without the proper paperwork it is smuggling which can lead to huge fines and jail time.

Just because you got away with it doesn't make it legal. CITIES are required to legally import CITIES restricted species into the country that is the LAW.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:06 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
This is POOR advice and you are rolling the dice each time you bring back a CITIES required coral over the border. Without the proper paperwork it is smuggling which can lead to huge fines and jail time.
I think poor advice is quite an understatement!

If you bring back coral(even one piece) and they catch you without a CITES and they are feeling grumpy. You will lose the coral, possibly get charged for smuggling, possibly have your vehicle impounded and get flagged in the CBSA computers. Then every time you enter Canada you get inspected. It's a big dice roll and not worth it in my books.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Vendor

JamRobo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
I think poor advice is quite an understatement!

If you bring back coral(even one piece) and they catch you without a CITES and they are feeling grumpy. You will lose the coral, possibly get charged for smuggling, possibly have your vehicle impounded and get flagged in the CBSA computers. Then every time you enter Canada you get inspected. It's a big dice roll and not worth it in my books.
You dont need a cites for personal use.... ive called cites and spoke with them before i even tried... go on airs and do it for yourself. The last drop down option is either " for personal use" or not... if you select not then yes your require a permit....
It says approved on their website.
But dont worry about it if your so concerned, ive talked to plenty of cbsa, cites, and their supervisors and its ok.. im not saying go over there and buy a truck load of corals. Im saying if you want to bring something back for yourself then its OK as long as its for personal use.