Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-11-2018, 03:06 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
To help aid in stability I would make sure your water source is good and do weekly water changes till you get the tank stable .
Testing water is always good to do but chasing numbers at this point with dosing is a bit much . I have had many coral tanks and added nothing except doing weekly water changes . Yes when the lps and sps get big then dosing calcium and alkalinity or calcium reactors are needed.
Hi sorry I disagree, doing water changes works for most algaes and even cyano but water changes does not help with dinos. Dinos thrive in clean water.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:22 AM

Razor Ramon is on a distinguished road

Ok that might be the case with the Dino the weekly water changes are a good means of exporting as much of the Dinos out of the system . Another problem with Dino’s is there is so many types that get there energy differently
As well as live differently.
Are we 100% sure that they are Dinos?
Old 12-12-2018, 04:17 PM

Llorgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
Not to sure that rotifers (planktonic) are going to help with bio-diversity in your tank. For the most part they are a salt lake organism (like brine shrimp), that only survives for a very short period inside out tanks before they are either eaten, sucked over the overflow or die because of lack of phytoplankton in the water. If your interested I have a culture of these.

Benthic tropical copepods (ALGAGEN PODS TISBE) available at J&L would be your best choice if you were interested in adding pods for biodiversity as they can survive and reproduce in our tanks living off of detritus and algae.

I have added the Algagen pods a couple times. Never seen them again after adding them though. I think that's what I need.

Quote:
I have read your whole build thread as well a this one in full .
You have to hang in there , it’s going to take some time. The tank is not stable. It’s a new system and the cycling can take some time for sure.
Some serious reef tanks don’t see corals for 6months. I would like to help in any way I can. The other guys that are here for you please chime in as well. Boosting
Your cycling bacteria is usually safe ,combined with wet skimming will aid in removing the dino that you dislodge with turkey baster and paint brushe. There are so many types of Dino’s a uv light will kill any free swimming stage Dino’s.
Maybe syphon as much of the sand out of the system and treat the sand in a bucket to kill Dino’s . Just a little brain storming can go along way.

Ya I figured it would be quite awhile before anything is really stable. I think my cycling bacteria is fine. At least it is holding up to my stocking levels and feeding right now. It's everything else that I think has taken a hit from the dinos.

I have been removing as much as I can on a daily basis and I have a filter sock that I change daily after turkey basting the sand and rocks.

I did break down and buy a uv sterilizer. I have seen some people have some luck with it for my type of dinos so I figured I will give it a try. Just waiting for it to come now.

Quote:
To help aid in stability I would make sure your water source is good and do weekly water changes till you get the tank stable .
Testing water is always good to do but chasing numbers at this point with dosing is a bit much . I have had many coral tanks and added nothing except doing weekly water changes . Yes when the lps and sps get big then dosing calcium and alkalinity or calcium reactors are needed.

My water is ok... I think. I have got the dosing thing down pretty much. I think I will hold off on water changes for now since I believe the dinos thrive in clean water. So water changes at this point might make things worse.

And yes, I am sure it's dinos. Took a sample to J&L to look at them under a microscope to get a positive ID.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:46 AM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road

Have you considered using Vibrant ?

In reefing good things take time, bad things happen fast.....

Your tank is young..... when it eventually goes away, ask if what you did helped or if your tank has just become stable with time and they died....

Old 12-13-2018, 02:49 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2018, 02:52 AM

In nature they are not caused from clean waters and do not thrive there .
It may be differnt in closed systems , food for thought .

Last edited by Razor Ramon; 12-13-2018 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Fat fingers
Old 12-14-2018, 03:53 PM

Llorgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In nature they are not caused from clean waters and do not thrive there .
It may be differnt in closed systems , food for thought .

It might be different in a closed system. Honestly I am not sure. I am just going off of the information found on the huge dino thread on reef2reef. People seem to have the best results when they stop doing water changes and raise the nitrate and phosphate levels. People on the thread have also reported that dinos got worse after a water change.