Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-08-2009, 07:49 PM

MikeP is on a distinguished road
Default Paypal?

I'm signing up for a paypal account. Just wanted feedback from people who have one. I found it weird that they send you a couple small deposits to verify you've given your correct account info.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:03 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

I never got any small deposits Mike, for me I just hooked it up to my credit card, that way I feel double protected, as if there are any problems I can always call my credit card company to rectify the situation.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:06 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

Yeah it does seem strange but it works. I love buying with Paypal but hate selling with it. Just like with Visa the vendor has to jump through many hoops to get his money if there is a problem.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Carmen is on a distinguished road

Mike,
I have one and like triggerman have a small credit card used for online purchases attached to the account. No deposits for Credit Card, atleast when I signed up. Plus the added insurance through credit card if something should go "missing". Never had a problem with Paypal and have used it many times.

Carmen

45 Gallon Cube with 10 Gallon Sump, Lighting 8 bulb T5, Vertex IN 80 Skimmer
-2 Occelaris Clowns, Engineer Goby, RBTA, Peppermint Shrimp
Old 03-08-2009, 08:20 PM

freddy is on a distinguished road

I always use paypal,never had any problems,just hate the waiting period for money to be transfered to my paypal account.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:40 PM

likwid is on a distinguished road

They verify that you are the account holder, and are not signing up with someone else's information by making those small deposits. You then have to look at your bank account and input the amount that they gave you. It is a very good security measure. I have been using paypal for years and you have nothing to worry about.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:40 PM

ocean diver is on a distinguished road

yes had the small deposits made and then you can be confirmed, as some people will not ship to an unconfirmed address. As always if you receive money with PayPal there is a fee and yes the wait for the money to see your bank account. I do like it it is easy too use.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:35 PM

MikeP is on a distinguished road

Good stuff thanks for the info guys. I don't plan to use it all that much but it will be handy to have. The only way I could sign up was if I put in my account info. Maybe I can link to a credit card and delete my account info.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Unless things have changed if you purchase something with paypal using a credit card your credit card company will not support you if you have any problems. You will have to deal with paypal directly.

I for one have had problems with paypal. After a one time purchase I got charged every week for the same item over and over again. Worst thing was my bank said they couldn't help me so I had to deal with paypal. Paypal basically said I was crazy and they were not charging me over and over, I actually had to fax in my statements to prove it. In the end it was a tremendous headache and a long process. I now only use it as a very last resort. I haven't heard of anyone else having a similar issue so I'm sure it's pretty rare but be very careful and watch your statements closely.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:15 PM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Unless things have changed if you purchase something with paypal using a credit card your credit card company will not support you if you have any problems. You will have to deal with paypal directly.

I for one have had problems with paypal. After a one time purchase I got charged every week for the same item over and over again. Worst thing was my bank said they couldn't help me so I had to deal with paypal. Paypal basically said I was crazy and they were not charging me over and over, I actually had to fax in my statements to prove it. In the end it was a tremendous headache and a long process. I now only use it as a very last resort. I haven't heard of anyone else having a similar issue so I'm sure it's pretty rare but be very careful and watch your statements closely.

That is bizarre, hope you got it resolved finally, I have never had any issues with PayPal.