Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Hmm....scary but possibly true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have crabs View Post
im thinking its a warning from the "over priced coral & fish coalition of calgary" which would be every other fish store, thier getting ****ed about reasonably priced goods

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:17 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I'm sorry, but I think that is a kind of a dumb thing to say.

Last edited by Delphinus; 01-18-2008 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:29 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

oops sorry ill use the lets kick the ginsu out of the jerks joke then

im shure everyone knows im joking and dont think someone dug through alberts undies and smashed his tank just because he helps calgary load up with 25% savings
Old 01-18-2008, 03:30 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
I'm sorry, but I think that is a kind of a dumb thing to say.
Yep, you have now included innocent people in a crime without cause or justification. I'd say it was more than just dumb, even as a joke.
As to if it is someone who is known to Albert? hopefully it it was time will tell. As to 2k (i think that was the price i read in msg) knives being "known" Thieves, especially B&E thieves are oportunistic...ie smash (sorry) and grab. People wanteing specific items already known to them go in and get them they do not smash and take all kinds of random things. Pawn shops will be on the look out for knives like this after being contacted by police. I would suggest also looking on ebay from time to time.

Last edited by Pan; 01-18-2008 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:41 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have crabs View Post
oops sorry ill use the lets kick the ginsu out of the jerks joke then
Now that's more like it!

Quote:
im shure everyone knows im joking and dont think someone dug through alberts undies and smashed his tank just because he helps calgary load up with 25% savings
Sorry, didn't mean to sound so harsh but had a long craptastic day and was just in a foul mood. Let's not turn this into a "my favourite LFS versus your favourite LFS" thread. Let's face it, we're all in this hobby because we share common interests, LFS owners included , let's focus on the positives. The thugs who did this to Albert and his roommate were low lifes, thugs, cretins who clearly have "issues".
Old 01-18-2008, 04:11 AM

erikages is on a distinguished road
Default Breakins

When I was a teenager, my family's house was broken into when we were all in the house! My mom's bedroom was on the main floor, and she though it was just me raiding the fridge. Then she wondered why I was using a flashlight.

Anyway, it happened twice. Different houses. Different neighbourhoods.

I've had alarm systems ever since. I'd recommend them -- not just for burglars, freaks and crazies (statistically it's getting less likely). There are other advantages. Central monitoring systems can now receive warnings about smoke, heat and flood (among other things). If they can't reach you immediately, they'll call the appropriate service, like the fire department. In the case of flood, I've got a flood sensor in my fish maintenance room, where the sump and most of the risky stuff for flooding is located. If a flood alert goes off, they'll call me or one of my reef buddies, who has access to the house if I'm gone.

I know this sounds expensive, but it's worth it for me. Some alarm companies will supply and install the bulk of the monitoring equipment for free on various contracts. One proviso, if you're thinking of this: check out LOCAL alarm companies; these are the ones that have local guards and local staff, rather than monitoring that's handled from god knows where.

I know this means nothing in the context of a smashed tank. But if theives have abused you once and they're not caught, they might come back once they think you've replaced everything through insurance. Who knows what these people think or how they behave, but get a good deadbolt at least.

How did they break in, btw?

E
Old 01-18-2008, 04:48 AM

Geez, that's scary.

One argument about the cost of an alarm service: it usually (always? not sure) results in a reduction in your household insurance. Not enough to completely balance it out, but hey it helps.

The large non-local companies still contract local guard services. Realistically, it doesn't matter where the monitoring is handled. But an alarm company wouldn't be worth their salt if they didn't have a local presence even if they're a huge multinational...
Old 01-18-2008, 04:56 AM

erikages is on a distinguished road

The insurance discount isn't really a factor, unfortunately. I've found that I receive about a $40 discount. Harumph! Considering that modern alarm systems monitor and warn (centrally) smoke, heat, break-ins and other options (carbonmonox., flood, freeze and others), insurance companies might give folks a REAL discount that reflects whatever data they have. Discounts like safe driving. Grin.

Anyway, the system is worth it for me. Being broken into is the WORST feeling, aside from the tragedy of the vandalism that occured in this case. A real shame indeed -- and I'm using polite language.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:12 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingnemo1 View Post
Hey can you pm me the name of your insurance company? Ours will only cover the damage of the water and thats it
I would like to have the whole thing covered by any means.

Thanks
I pm'd you but in case others were wondering I'm with Meloche Monnex and I have the "All perils on building and contents" up to a million dollars policy.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:35 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

You have a scent? I'll bring my German Shepherd over....