Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-15-2013, 03:30 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
I've lost fish in QT before and wanted to avoid it for their benefits
Why risk healthy fish due to paranoia ?
There was no point in hypo, and waiting 6 weeks was going to be a risk of their lives
That's about it
Well, I can certainly understand your thinking, and I'm sure is popular opinion with many on canreef. But consider this.

Fish can be carriers, and have some MI that will not be visible, as I described with my experience.

If a fish dies in QT, then either your QT was inadequate, or the fish was sick and would have likely died anyway (good that it happened in QT and not your DT). I have a very, very mature QT, using DT water for W/C's. It is running all the time with a canister filter and some live rock. I also use it to house some frags from time to time.

Water quality stays high in QT, first because of frequent initial changes to get the salinity down, and then later more changes with DT water to bring it up. I actually extended that time even further, and the fish looked even stronger and healthier as time went on.

The extended time allowed the fish to get feeding with the foods they will be receiving in the DT. Your wrasses may have been OK early with this, but some fish need a lot more time to adjust to the new food.

And with wrasses, you can put in some sand (maybe use a container), but not sure if that is even necessary.

Here is a good article about all the benefits of a hypo routine. Not sure if you have read this one.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/6/fish

What it comes down to, I think, is patience. And that, I think, is the hardest thing. But it my case, I add fish so infrequently now, it is definitely worth the while, considering what may happen if I don't. From a risk standpoint (cost of risk = probability or frequency X cost of bad outcome), the cost of mitigation is very small compared to the cost of risk. Like I said, I gambled once, and lost... And not to mention my early hard lessons learned when I didn't QT.

Greg, you have taken a very methodical and cover all bases approach with much of your tank and sump design. And IIRC, you got burned in the past with not QTing. So that is why I was surprised when you took this shortcut.

Anyway. your tank and inhabitants are looking very good. So I do wish you continued success, and look forward to more great pics.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:23 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Ultimately, you know your system, routines and practices best, so your decision on when to move fish.

No qt debate here, I don't and understand the risks. But stuff can get introduced to your tank by other means as well, qt-ing just reduces the risk.

Everyone looks great and the tank has matured very nicely!!! Sorry about losing Levi!!!
Old 11-16-2013, 12:00 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the nice thoughts Sheena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
And IIRC, you got burned in the past with not QTing. So that is why I was surprised when you took this shortcut
Thanks for the wishes and thoughts bud
Not sure who you're thinking of, but I've never added any fish to my system that weren't first put through QT, and this is the only time I've cut it to 2 weeks
My kole was in qt for 10 !
I've read that article, and many others, about hypo and understand the benefits. But thanks for the link. Maybe someone else hasn't read it yet

Sometime soon we're looking at getting some more fish, not too many more, but a couple. And some more mini gobies
I'm keeping the QT running with DT WCs and the odd bit of ghost feeding
Plus I've put sponges in the sump again just for giggles
I never know what I'll find at J&L so best to be prepared
Old 11-16-2013, 02:02 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Not sure who you're thinking of, but I've never added any fish to my system that weren't first put through QT, and this is the only time I've cut it to 2 weeks
My kole was in qt for 10 !
I've read that article, and many others, about hypo and understand the benefits. But thanks for the link. Maybe someone else hasn't read it yet
OK, sorry, I was wrong then. But I do know you are very deliberate and conscientious with your tank, and that made me wonder, too.

And I guess I had been reading so many Ich threads lately, didn't want others getting the wrong idea about not having to QT new fish.

Again, glad it worked out for you, and want to see more pics!
Old 11-24-2013, 04:38 AM
On Hiatus

More new guys in the QT. Good thing I kept it running
I went to J&L today to buy a couple reactors, and came home with fish too
Tonight they ate mysis, fortified brine and some frenzy stuff

Filamented Flasher - Levi

Yellow Fin Flasher - Chevy

Scooter Blenny - Chico

Chico has a great appetite and a nice fat belly. He'll do well in the DT
And, currently in the QT there are piles of copepods crawling around due to me putting the 'for sale frags' in there, so He's having a field day
Old 11-24-2013, 04:42 AM
On Hiatus

I'll be posting once I get my new pair of Aqua FX single media reactors setup, so stay tuned ... I just need to figure out where to mount them so they are not only out of the way, but also over the sump in case of leaks
This is what I bought
Old 11-24-2013, 04:53 AM
On Hiatus

Here's what our new wrasses could look like

Old 11-24-2013, 05:03 AM

H2o2 is on a distinguished road

Oh I see how this works give u money buy beautiful things never mind how they will look they are beautiful now , nice score . Oh and by the way the torch is beautiful and great meeting u
Old 11-24-2013, 05:16 AM
On Hiatus

Hehe

Nice to meet you to

Get some pics up of all your torches !!

Have you started a journal ?
Old 12-15-2013, 10:46 PM
On Hiatus

Friday night, after WCs and feedings, I transferred our Scooter (Chico) and Flashers (Levi and Chevy) to the DT while the lights were out
Sat when the noon lights came on everyone woke up and checked out the new guys
There were no real problems for hours, but then our Lubbock's (Asrai) started chasing the Flashers, then the Whipfin (Ginger) started in
Next thing I know, our False Perc (Goober) is going out of his way to bite the new guys. This is very unusual for Goober as he's never charged at anyone outside the realm of his LR pile
Every time they came up off the sand, now Ginger first would take a stab at them with Asrai next, and then Goober would come charging in

I had no idea how much damage Goober was doing as the Flashers kept laying on the sand. Man am I peed at myself
Within a couple hours, Chevy and Levi are beat to hell and hiding, even with me waving tools around inside the tank to keep them apart

I grabbed a Critter Keeper and, as soon as Ginger got near the surface, Bam with a net and into jail she goes
After that, Asrai calmed down and stopped chasing the Flashers, but was still 'puffing up' at them which kept them on the sand until lights out
And during this, I still had to keep Goober away. The little turd would cover nearly 3 feet of tank just to chase them

Having Ginger in jail has showed a marked improvement today
Asrai is no longer chasing them around, but only 'puffing up' whenever nearby
The flashers are off the sand and ate pellets for lunch so I'm confident they will be OK

I grabbed another keeper and now Goober is up for sale
We've always laughed when he kept everyone away from his nems, and his LR pile, but watching him target docile fish laying on the sand was enough for me
You're Outta There !!
Now the Gobies can roam around the rock all they like without being harassed and hopefully the tank will become a little more peaceful

I'll keep Ginger in jail for a couple more days while the flashers settle in and am watching Asrai for any signs of aggression. She still 'puffs up' around them but at least they are swimming and are no longer being chased
I have another keeper with Asrai's name on it if she even so much as 'flinches' at them