Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-29-2010, 06:11 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
LOL, Leah, maybe

Ian, ya that's what I am hoping for, lower nutrients. What was trapped in my sand, after 6 months was appalling. AND stinky!!!!! Now, I have a delema of what to do with 15g of sand in a Brute garbage can, that I can't move LOL
When I removed my deep sand bed and went shallow I began turning that excess sand into frag disks. I've made around 80 large ones and over 200 little ones so far... and I still have a lot of extra sand. Obviously you'll want to rinse the sand as well as you can first.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59760

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour

Last edited by whatcaneyedo; 01-29-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:39 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

It's definitely some kind of ugly when the sand first comes out. Still trying to get used to the look of it, but I'm sure it'll look better when the coraline starts. Super cool how I can direct flow anywhere I like now. For that reason alone I think I'd find it difficult to put the sand back in.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the last bit of sand out from between the rocks, and the sand has caked along where the rock meets the glass so it has to be chipped out. So for the next little while it looks like I'll be blasting with a power head and siphoning
Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
It's definitely some kind of ugly when the sand first comes out. Still trying to get used to the look of it, but I'm sure it'll look better when the coraline starts. Super cool how I can direct flow anywhere I like now. For that reason alone I think I'd find it difficult to put the sand back in.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the last bit of sand out from between the rocks, and the sand has caked along where the rock meets the glass so it has to be chipped out. So for the next little while it looks like I'll be blasting with a power head and siphoning

You will likely have to do this on a regular basis anyway as the debris will tend to collect in a certain area of the tank with the flow.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:44 PM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

I know the typical mantra is that BB allows you to push more flow through your tank and that's certainly true - you can without the risk of sand blowing around.

With that said, I've recently reduced the flow in my BB 24 x 24 tank and noticed a significant improvement in growth rate. Previously I was running around 75X my tank volume in flow and now I'm down to around 55X. I may be in a unique situation given how small my tank is and the fact that most of my corals are mini colonies and not large colonies yet. The smaller corals probably aren't impeding flow as much as would occur in other tanks or with larger colonies. But just because you can get away with running more flow in a BB tank doesn't mean it's the best decision.

I have a few theories on why reducing the flow has helped my tank. The primary one being that the lack of sand and my open rockwork minimizes the scrubbing of flow velocity that occurs in tanks with sand where the sand scrubs some of the velocity of the flow. Of course it may also have something to do with slower flow allowing the coral polyps more time to capture some food.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 01-30-2010, 04:02 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Interesting you're getting better growth with less flow. I was under the impression you can't have too much flow in an SPS tank, unless a nozzle is pointing directly at a coral. I know corals will alter their growth form, growing shorter and heavier in a very turbulent environment. My Yellow Slimer was doing this until I switched to a flare nozzle on my Wavy Seas.

Definitely better flow around the rocks at the base without the sand. With the sand covering it I'd forgotten how open my rock work is at the bottom. Not sure how much the texture of the sand itself impedes flow.