Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia

Old 08-31-2015, 02:56 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

My god I still don't have power, what are the chances of survival now? I'm at 45 hours now!!!
Old 08-31-2015, 03:20 PM

clermont is on a distinguished road

That was a rough go at 32 hours without power. Was able to save some of my fish and corals look ok. Lost 5 Anthias and a Flame Angel and came up with an idea to get an auxiliary type plug to hook up to my cigarette lighter in my car and run an extension cord to the tank to run a power head.
If anyone else is without power still this may save some fish if possible to set up. Canadian tire has the adaptor for around $35.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:43 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a 1200 watt generator that I paid 100 bucks for at princess auto.

Can run a heater and a couple of pumps, no problem.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:34 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Well, you guys have convinced me that this is the year to pick up a generator. My fish wouldn't last 4 hours without power, so this week they're on sale, going to grab a 3000w machine.
If I was gonna buy a generator for back up power once a year or less I'd go with propane. With the unleaded/ethanol gas we use nowadays odds of having moisture or gum in the carb a year later when you really need it is highly likely. Not sure of the price difference but just something to look into

I feel really sorry to those without power for so long and casualties. I hope all works out for you guys and gals
Old 08-31-2015, 05:37 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I've never seen a propane gen. But a fuel conditioner (same as weed wacker) would take care of carb plugging.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:40 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

Power back on! Fingers crossed, my daughters says the fish are swimming around and she doesn't see any dead, hope they stay that way...
Old 08-31-2015, 05:42 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
If I was gonna buy a generator for back up power once a year or less I'd go with propane. With the unleaded/ethanol gas we use nowadays odds of having moisture or gum in the carb a year later when you really need it is highly likely. Not sure of the price difference but just something to look into

I feel really sorry to those without power for so long and casualties. I hope all works out for you guys and gals
I have imported and sold propane generators....they are quite common.

We use one for back up at our office/warehouse.

They are the best if you don't want to prep your generator before putting it away.

I need to empty and clean my 1200 watt 2 stroke gen every time I put it away.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:46 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

I did a quick search, there's one on homedepot.com, 7000w for 799us and another on Costco.ca 6000w for 1099.99. Doesn't look like they're nearly as cheap as you can pick up a gas one for but depends on the budget I guess.
Sta-bil lasts for up to 15 months as a fuel conditioner
Every year I start up the weed wacker and outboard engines they run like garbage, always need the carbs cleaned. Have never used a fuel stabilizer though so might be worth a shot if you go gas
Old 08-31-2015, 06:58 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhj0112 View Post
I think I lost flame angel. I can't see him... it had to be my favorite fish that is the only victim.. ordering battery powered air pumps.. good news is there is no death on all other fishes in 4 other tanks..

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
I have a couple of battery powered air pumps that worked very well for tank aeration thru the night, I have a 3500 watt generator that I use thru the day time.
Too noisy to run all night, although some people in the area did.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:22 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post

My small engine mechanic suggested I use Shell Premium gas in the lawnmower/weedwacker as I could never get the damn things to start at the beginning of the season. No problems starting this year. The Shell V-Power gas has zero Ethenol.

Last edited by WarDog; 09-01-2015 at 05:29 AM.