Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

dear god that tank is a thing of beauty! Those starphire euros are one heck of a nice touch.

What are your plans for the back of the tank? If you plan to have a backing on it...how will you also hide the overflow in a way that blends with your background?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:57 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
What are your plans for the back of the tank? If you plan to have a backing on it...how will you also hide the overflow in a way that blends with your background?
The tank was pushed closer to the wall than I had originally planned. When I first conceptualized the tank, the idea was for it to be an island viewable from all 4 sides. I'm still thinking that I will keep the back side clean and use it as a viewable pane. Perhaps I could paint a section of the wall black just to give the illusion of darkness towards the back. At the very least, I plan to leave enough space between the glass and rock/corals to clean all of the sides. No final decision on this yet.

Thanks for the comments btw!!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
Definitely a sweet tank... are you doing the bottom bracing as well or are you done the tank?
When you gonna water test it?
The bottom bracing is in place. It's somewhat subtle and perhaps hard to make out in the pictures. It has silicone on all 4 edges of the glass, so it somewhat blends in. These aren't really for strength as much as for adhesion. The structural integrity is still primarily the glass panes.

As for water testing - I have to slow down a bit for the next while. I may fill it with ro/di water and do an extended leak test over the summer, but plumbing in the sump and adding salt will have to wait for now.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road

another one i have to tag along for sweet looking build
Old 07-17-2010, 02:27 AM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s View Post
The bottom bracing is in place. It's somewhat subtle and perhaps hard to make out in the pictures. It has silicone on all 4 edges of the glass, so it somewhat blends in. These aren't really for strength as much as for adhesion. The structural integrity is still primarily the glass panes.

As for water testing - I have to slow down a bit for the next while. I may fill it with ro/di water and do an extended leak test over the summer, but plumbing in the sump and adding salt will have to wait for now.
A weak point of the tank is typically the joints. I'm glad to hear you strengthened them ... I would hate to see your fish flopping on the floor.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:01 PM

SAMSHUNG is on a distinguished road

EPIC-ness!!!

(subscribing the s#it out of this thread.)
Old 07-17-2010, 06:32 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

Looking supreme ! Is that glass covering your overflow box ? You must of enjoyed having it built at home, seeing the whole thing come together. That's also up my sleeve.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:12 AM

<New Content Posted>

Planning the ATO (Automatic Top Off)..........<moved to 38 - Changed status to draft>

Pretext: I’ve had my ATO fail while on holidays. This caused the sump return chamber to completely evaporate leading to a subsequent failure of the return pump. After fixing the ATO and replacing the return pump, the ATO did what it was supposed to do and pumped 10 gallons of saturated Kalk water (pH 12.4) back into the system. The result was a pH spike reaching upwards of 9.5. While I was able to recover from this without a tank crash and better yet, without losing any wildlife, it drove home the importance of a reliable ATO. In my opinion, it is one of the more critical components and can potentially fail without warning.

Last edited by abcha0s; 02-15-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:24 AM

steveg is on a distinguished road
Default Wow!!!!!!!!!

Amazing how a quick look on the computer can generate such green eyed monster feelings................:mrgreen :

Looking forward to seeing this develop!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:30 AM

TheMikey is on a distinguished road

Absolutely fantastic build. The level of detail and planning incorpotated into the build (as well as the great explanations) could (should?!) be made into a How-To for those looking at building large tanks. You seem to have all your bases covered on your build.

I do have one question, however:

In regards to the steel design (and redesign) I've noticed that on the stand that the aquarium isn't actually sitting on the back brace where you've added the additional support and the entire backside seems to be for the benefit of the overflow alone. You were very concerned in this build early on about having enough support but from my (rather limited, forgive me) knowledge it seems like you are ignoring the rear re-enforcement entirely. Can you give me the rationale for it?

I really hope this doesn't come off as a flame/troll post (it's not I assure you ) I just found it a little odd the way the tank fits on the stand.

Again, fantastic tank journal; it's making me itch for an upgrade

Tags
custom tank, deep dimension, high end, redundant, reef