Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-19-2005, 12:27 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Wow, pretty strong words for a newbie! But, a typical response by those who attempt to justify keeping almost impossible to keep species.

My friend, nothing justifies your keeping cleaner wrasse. You are neither an expert or a scientist. The idea that it is OK for you and others to experiment with these and other species with the hope that you will come up with the magic answer to their sustained care is dated thinking.

And blaming other destructive practices for the condition of the reefs is another typical response. You are part of our hobby and owe a duty to see that the best practices are performed by the industry. That includes insuring that fish and coral that have no or little chance of survival stay in the oceans. Don't buy them if they will not live!
Old 11-19-2005, 01:56 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

Great - that's your opinion - I have mine, (as of yet completely unformed as I have an open mind - if mine dies for any reason, I will be sure to post it back here with any further observations), and we agree to disagree in principle... now I ask that you kindly back yours up, as I have posted some very scientific arguments here to the contrary.

Unfortunately I was unable to find any scientific data or study results that support your theory, so here is your opportunity... DO read through the thread as I welcome the debate, OR eventual enlightenment if I am in fact, that ignorant.

I am not here to destroy the reef or fix this hobby, if you would rather I kept my observations to myself, then that is your right to feel that way... keep in mind that it is also every nanoreefer's right to plunk a pair of cleaner wrasses in a 6 gallon tank as well... so as long as they're shipped, they'll be bought, and if we all had that attitude, then YES, they will almost all assuredly succumb ... but if we people with the patience and resources to keep a larger tank endevour to study these and share our own personal observations at our own cost then why should someone jump down our throats because we dare to expand the envelope a little? It is backwards thinking like this that inhibits our own species from accomplishing our potential because it puts control of SO MUCH in the hands of SO FEW. If we all put our heads together at times instead of butting them, we might be able to accomplish things AND have a healthy impact on the ecology and environment on this precious planet.
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!