Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-20-2009, 12:54 AM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Everything I have dipped so far is colouring up right away although polyp extension is not that great. I was worried about the dip discolouring corals anyways since it goes that brownish colour when the betadine is added to the water. I will ALWAYS use this for a dip now... if you could see the carnage on the bottom of the dipping container... then again, you do know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
so much more satisfying dipping in the betadine eh? Works really well.

The acros i dipped this afternoon have responded well, though still not 100%. This dip kills the color though, heavy browning very quickly.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:02 AM

dreef is on a distinguished road
Default Aefs

I too am guilty of just adding frags and colonies without dipping.I have about 40 acros,frags and colonies combined.I noticed that my tri color valida was turning white on the base,and spreading up the branches quickly.Took the bone cutters out,and chopped up a 6 inch colony,yup aefw Did about 2 hrs reading on RC and decided to go with a members plan of attach.Using tmpcc and fluke tabs.Got water and salt mixed up,a rubbermaid tub ready for the weekend.You need to remove ALL acros,clean all the eggs off,dip and quarantine for at least a month.You will need to redip the corals every week in the quarantine,to kill hatching eggs.The egg clusters are a yellowish brown,and the aefw are HUGE compared to the normal harmless ones.Very light colored compared to the normal ones,if you blow them off,your fish will gobble them up.Here's what happened in less than a month...it going to really suck !! but i have everything to lose...............lesson hard learned. Tri color is bottom corner right

same coral

Last edited by dreef; 05-20-2009 at 04:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-20-2009, 04:14 AM

Ephraim is on a distinguished road

valida is like crack for these little beasts
Old 05-20-2009, 04:24 AM

dreef is on a distinguished road

Quote..valida is like crack for these little beasts

That's what i've read,a prefered acro to destroy.And it neighbour is a 4 inch colony of coralmasters purple valida.I hope it hangs in till the weekend,it's totally encrusted to some rocks,it's going to have to be broken up,to get it off
Old 05-20-2009, 05:21 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreef View Post
Quote..valida is like crack for these little beasts

That's what i've read,a prefered acro to destroy.And it neighbour is a 4 inch colony of coralmasters purple valida.I hope it hangs in till the weekend,it's totally encrusted to some rocks,it's going to have to be broken up,to get it off
I thought that looked familiar.

Greg
Old 05-20-2009, 05:37 PM

Yep I lost several pieces of my valida as well. They were the first to go and I had no clue what was happening. I thought it was my water or new lighting. I dip everything in Revive prior to placing corals... it did not kill them all I guess. Even when I saw this post and dipped all corals in Revive, not all of the flatworms came off. When I did the Betadine dips, it was nuts how much stuff was falling off.

Since last nights dips, nothing has died yet, and the tissue loss has stopped so far. I did lose one of my favorite acros when I dipped it in Revive... I guess it was too far gone to save although it looked like it had no no flatworms at all.

I have lost about $600 worth of corals... A few of the ones left are brown for now, and the others are luckily colouring up now. I tried to frag some of them, but most did not make it anyways. I should have QTd the corals after dipping, but these were all from the same place, and my dipping methods for prevention proved the be a failure.

Time to think of a new master plan... I don't have the proper lighting on the QT tank for corals either, just fish. I can't even give these corals to a new home, since they are infested with flatworms...
Old 05-21-2009, 04:16 PM

Werbo is on a distinguished road

So what is the answer? Are others finding that Revive is not efficient? How about on RC?

I bought Betadine yesterday when at the drug store but was hoping for more information.
Does anyone know of a RC thread that details people success/failures with Betadine? How much does Betadine stress out the corals?
Old 05-21-2009, 04:36 PM

I found that Revive did not help one bit. Any corals that are now on their way out, are probably too far gone to save in the first place. Mine have had flat worms for quite some time, and I did not know any better. I thought it was my water or my new halides... I just had no clue until I saw this thread.

I dip all corals in revive and it was not strong enough to do the job, either prior to putting them in my tank, or treating the flatworms once I knew I had them. Right now, I believe my corals are beyond dipping and I will have to get Interceptor from the vet... my dogs need deworming for the season anyways.

My lack of knowledge and diagnosis and solely relying on a dip cost me hundreds of dollars. I will be doing things differently from now on. I do have some stronger pieces that are doing very well, but I don't think they had flatworms just yet. The ones I bought that had them, are all pretty much history.

Too little too late. I did not find the Betadine had too much ill effect on the corals, most coloured up right away. I was worried about the colour of the Betadine staying on the corals but it didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Werbowski View Post
So what is the answer? Are others finding that Revive is not efficient? How about on RC?

I bought Betadine yesterday when at the drug store but was hoping for more information.
Does anyone know of a RC thread that details people success/failures with Betadine? How much does Betadine stress out the corals?
Old 05-21-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Werbowski View Post

There was mention in the massive Melev thread on RC about AEFW that the betadine stressed the corals out alot and caused significant browning. But I did not experience that when I did my dip. Stress was noticable yes and they did drop some color. But a day after, they looked happy as ever, although color was not 100%. I did not loose a single thing due to the dip.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:14 PM

inspected the affected corals when i got home after work today and things are looking good. Many of the bite marks have filled in quite quickly. Will be doing a followup dip early next week, to see what i can knock off then.