Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-29-2014, 01:59 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

The "lazy" argument goes both ways. Some people don't like to browse back to view past pics on a longer FS thread, and expect fresh pics with every new post. But that is their loss, too, as they could be missing out on some great deals.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:28 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
I still don't understand why people want to regulate how other people do stuff. If someone wants to sell something but not post a pic, that's their prerogative. If they want to ask 2X what their item is worth, that's also their prerogative. If they want to sell it and not ship.... also their prerogative.
If you don't want to buy something that a pic isn't shown for, that's your prerogative. Don't want to pay what their asking? Fine, don't. And if you don't like how an add is worded, formatted, shipped etc? MOVE ON!
You be you, and let the other person be them. Geeze, 4 pages of this?????

Agreed.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw View Post
Agreed.
Absolutely. I don't get it at all. Buy it. Don't. Whatever.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:09 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

The assumption one's own time is more valuable than someone else's is borderline discrimination but to make it public knowledge is ignorant and immature. While I'd agree taking pictures and posting them is a fairly simple and quick process, provided you're setup to do so, it still takes significantly less time and effort to send a pm, text or email to request said pictures. If you're not willing to do that then chances are you weren't really that interested in the first place.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:08 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
I still don't understand why people want to regulate how other people do stuff. If someone wants to sell something but not post a pic, that's their prerogative. If they want to ask 2X what their item is worth, that's also their prerogative. If they want to sell it and not ship.... also their prerogative.
If you don't want to buy something that a pic isn't shown for, that's your prerogative. Don't want to pay what their asking? Fine, don't. And if you don't like how an add is worded, formatted, shipped etc? MOVE ON!
You be you, and let the other person be them. Geeze, 4 pages of this?????
I agreee with your argument, in general. People can post whatever they want and people are free to read it, or not.

But we're talking about selling here. We're talking about benefitting financially from the network effect this site offers. This site, like many others, can concoct its own rules when it comes to members banefitting financially from it. Or not...

Personally, I feel I have wasted a few seconds I'll never get back every time someone posts a for sale thread with no picture. I don't like seeing pictures on a puny phone screen, so I don't even bother with texted pics.

Just my $0.02...

Last edited by straightrazorguy; 05-29-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:14 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
it still takes significantly less time and effort to send a pm, text or email to request said pictures. .
For sending pics in a PM, is there a way to attach pics in a PM? If not, then sending a link to the photo in a PM requires me to upload the pic externally. So it does not take less time but more time. If I need to PM to multiple people, then it is even more time regardless.

For Texting or Emailing, that would be true if I am sending to 1 or 2 people. If I am sending to more than that, then I wouldn't say it takes significantly less time. If the pic was uploaded, then it's one and done. If I have to reply to everyone with a Text message, then it is more work for me. Some items will sell after 1 Text but many will not so I will constantly be sending Text messages.

I agree though that for people who don't know how to upload pics to external storage or not setup, there is an initial learning curve and might not be worth doing for selling a small item or items that all look the same (like an Emerald Crab. ) . As an aside, setting up external storage in my option is a good investment in time since external storage is useful for not just selling stuff on Canreef.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:54 PM

chutsk10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
The assumption one's own time is more valuable than someone else's is borderline discrimination but to make it public knowledge is ignorant and immature. While I'd agree taking pictures and posting them is a fairly simple and quick process, provided you're setup to do so, it still takes significantly less time and effort to send a pm, text or email to request said pictures. If you're not willing to do that then chances are you weren't really that interested in the first place.
By that logic the same can be said about the seller. If they don’t want to post pictures, chances are they are not really interested in selling it. Either that or there is something wrong with it.

Not posting pictures adds an unnecessary step for both parties. The buyer must send a text/e-mail requesting pictures and the seller must reply.

The debate is not really about whose time is more valuable than whose but about what tends to work for a sale.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:00 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
I agreee with your argument, in general. People can post whatever they want and people are free to read it, or not.

But we're talking about selling here. We're talking about benefitting financially from the network effect this site offers. This site, like many others, can concoct its own rules when it comes to members banefitting financially from it. Or not...

Personally, I feel I have wasted a few seconds I'll never get back every time someone posts a for sale thread with no picture. I don't like seeing pictures on a puny phone screen, so I don't even bother with texted pics.

Just my $0.02...
You should be "charging" 2 cents for this, not willy nilly giving it away!!!... Just my opinion....By the way you owe me 2 cents...
Old 05-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Everyone will do what they want regardless.
Personally if I don't see a picture, I just close the ad and move on. I'm sure I've passed by TONS of corals I would have loved just because they didn't post a picture, but who cares, I purchased something else from somebody else instead. And I most likely didn't really NEED the item...
And why should I waste my data to get a picture texted to me then have the item/coral be ****tyer then expected. Not only did that waste my time and the sellers time but now we've both wasted date on a sale that's going nowhere.
If I want to sell my items then I will put in the effort to post pictures, way easier then answering a ton of "pics please" pm's from people who would never buy the item in the first place.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:17 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Will admit I do find it a little frustrating not seeing a picture in a FS post and having to jump through hoops to get it but if something does interest me enough, I will send a PM will my email address, it just seems a lot more frequent recently.

Don't believe it should be moderated or mandatory and even think lots of FS posts waste bandwidth as I really don't need a picture of a pump or a skimmer or even a common fish as I'll usually do a search anyway (links are nice though). Just thinking if someone is saying they have something unique or some silly named zoa a picture in the post would be great and speed up the process.