Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 12-10-2009, 04:38 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Ooohhhh you got a Norman too!!! My guy is doing great. I took him off of frozen foods to slow down his growth. He is as big as Griffie now! Norman is the fastest growing fish I have ever had.

I miss my big fatso... but my smaller fish sure don't. He looks awesome!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:26 PM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
I use a number of different thermometer types including the stick on cheapies. IME, the stick on is within half a degree Celsius (yes I prefer C over F) of the two digital thermometers in the display. I've seen plenty of threads with folks reporting that the digitals are off. No type of thermometer is foolproof. One of the ones I liked the most was in fact a floating glass thermometer/hydrometer combination. The hydrometer part of it was accurate as well when compared to my refractometer. It's well established technology, needs no batteries etc, the drawback being that they're breakable as you've experienced.

As far as accuracy, how much is really needed in the hobby? I often see folks reporting a salinity of 1.0264 on their refractometers. What's up with that last decimal point? The scale makes it almost impossible to read off that level of accuracy, it's at best a guess. If you just need a quick check to ensure you're heaters aren't malfunctioning, a stick on thermometer will do that for you nicely. Even if it's off a few degrees, it will keep you in the 'ballpark' so to speak.
GOOD POINT! Well said! I do have digital thermometers ($15 a piece new) that I use for my tub transfers. I have found them to only last me a few months before they go, battery goes low, salt build up on the probe, or water splashes on them. However the gauge reads a bit inaccurate at times against the same brand thermometer but as long as its close. I used glass cause I used it against the others to see what is correct. Especially when the digitals read all different in the same water. It's time for a controller!

Dear Santa... Let me explain. Hehe

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Last edited by bulletsworld; 12-10-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
Like you mentioned to me a long time ago... he is getting really bored and needs some sort of stimulation. I am thinking you need a couple of fish you don't care about much for him to hunt. He was a big boy when he was caught, and I think he was hunting in the wild for too long to be totally happy in captivity at times. He is still the largest puffer I have ever seen.
He's the largest puffer I've ever seen! I was surprised when I first seen him. I did get a orange spoted goby he hasn't been able to catch, although I wish he would. Goby is digging big holes under my rock and tumbling it. I can't even catch that lil bugger!! I was hoping Stewie could for me. I also put a lawn mover blenny and a damsel in there with no luck of him catching.

Hey did you ever see the video of the lady that did work out routines infront of her porcupine puffer and he followed. I gotta see if I can find that video. Its so neat! Next I will try work outs in front of Stewie to see if he responds. This time I doubt he's bored but a little under the weather. I know the silver lead balls he injested can't be good for him.

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
Old 12-10-2009, 05:42 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Good Old Griffie there what a nutbar. he should be CANREEF'S mascot.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:50 PM

Never saw the videos I bet Griffie would do it though. Just tie a shrimp to your waist, or dress in clown fish colours Griff would get the gobies by herding them into the corner where my overflows were. Generally they would go into the over flows and drown in the sump downstairs from the rushing water. Then he bit my Mandarin in half remember? He hunts a certain way but he never bothered my LMB. Get a clown fish, he will love you forever... he seems to really enjoy those! Just kidding! He does love those though. He also enjoys wrasses, and after my Mandarin finally died he was looking for him forever. They are supposed to be poisonous and it did not bother Griffie a bit to eat half of it. I doubt that a belly full of lead would bother him either...

Give him time for a hunting strategy for the gobie, he will figure it out since he has nothing but time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsworld View Post
He's the largest puffer I've ever seen! I was surprised when I first seen him. I did get a orange spoted goby he hasn't been able to catch, although I wish he would. Goby is digging big holes under my rock and tumbling it. I can't even catch that lil bugger!! I was hoping Stewie could for me. I also put a lawn mover blenny and a damsel in there with no luck of him catching.

Hey did you ever see the video of the lady that did work out routines infront of her porcupine puffer and he followed. I gotta see if I can find that video. Its so neat! Next I will try work outs in front of Stewie to see if he responds. This time I doubt he's bored but a little under the weather. I know the silver lead balls he injested can't be good for him.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:51 PM

Hahhaaaa!!! No kidding, the butthead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
Old 12-10-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
ooohhhh you got a norman too!!! My guy is doing great. I took him off of frozen foods to slow down his growth. He is as big as griffie now! Norman is the fastest growing fish i have ever had. I miss my big fatso... But my smaller fish sure don't. He looks awesome!
edit

Last edited by bulletsworld; 12-16-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post

ROTF! That would be too funny! He could do it! He loves posing for the camera! Hehe

Old 12-10-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Never saw the videos I bet Griffie would do it though. Just tie a shrimp to your waist, or dress in clown fish colours
I could just see myself now...dressed in a clown fish costume, doing aerobics in front of the tank. Derek and my neighbours would think I finally lost my NOODLE!

Old 12-10-2009, 06:19 PM

You really must go to Elite and see George, Colby's cowfish... he is HUGE! Makes Norman look wee. I grew Norman out quickly so he could handle my powerheads in the tank. When he ate Griffie's puffer chow and frozen foods he grew very rapidly. I now have him on more vegan fare but he gets frozen food treats. I still need to come by and see your tank one of these days. I have had really bad Laryngitis and cannot even speak to my clients. I see the phone ringing and can't answer it.

We still need to get this Marine betta to you. I have done nothing with my tank at all, and have no new additions of any kind. If you want a fish with a lot of personality I would get a Sargassum trigger if I were you. My guy Dave is a hoot! Of course Bananaman is the the star of the show most times... I ahve never seen another Banana wrasse anywhere. If I could catch your foxface I would give her back to you. I grew her all out really nice as you know. The tangs don't even mess with her anymore. Chad the Regal Angel is thriving but he has pretty much murdered every soft coral I had in my tank, and my toadstool are chewed to heck now too. My tank is slowly turning into a FOWLR, but I am okay with that. My fish need to swimming space.

More pictures please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsworld View Post
No longhorn cowfish is as COOL as NORMAN!! Norman is AWESOME! I LOVE NORMAN! And if I may add... Norman is the largest longhorn I have EVER seen!!! I know you wanted me to one day take him...BUT..You will have him forever. So.. one day when I was shopping and seen a adorable longhorn with no parasites, very healthy, I couldn't resist the lil guy! Especially when he came to the glass! I named him Luigi and he's buddies with Stewie (a.k.a Griffie) These longhorn cowfish grow super FAST! He was smaller when I got him.

I also got a blue boxfish, named Dotty. What a sweetie! I'm happy to get her on pellets, nori and mysis. After all she would only eat sponges when I first got her. So finally got her on the other stuff...finally! Took me a bit. But she eats all day long, always grazing and doesn't grow! Maybe a tiny bit but thats it. Doesn't grow like the longhorns do. Thats for sure.