Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 03-30-2013, 12:40 AM

Starry is on a distinguished road

i went with a D120 on my jbj-28. im fairly impressed. corals look as good or better than they do under T5s in my 180. Too soon to comment on growth thou. have white about 20% and blue around 30. cant ever see needing to go higher than 50% per channel on this size tank.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:15 AM

Nasoblond is on a distinguished road

I have a couple of them over my 90gal and all my corals are doing amazing....all my sps is really growing. I love them and they dont heat up my water like the mh did.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:49 AM

Magma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by milou View Post
Hi Magma, which LED did you get? I'm thinking of getting 1 unit of D120 full spectrum to light my 3 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft. If I can get away with only 1 unit that would be amazing.
I got the D120 Full Spectrum units, 3 of them for a 6ft tank, and they are bright! since my 6ft tank is not setup yet I put one of them over my 3ft tank at about 10" above the water and it lights up the tank a TON. I would not see you needing more than 1 unit over a 3ft tank.

I also ordered from reef supply canada, nick was great to deal with.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 AM

milou is on a distinguished road

thank you guys for the feedback, i'm sold, will try to order 1 this week. Nick said he's expecting a shipment of D120 this week.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:54 AM

canadianbudz604 is on a distinguished road
Default D120

Will one of these d120 full spectrums be enough light for my standard size 29g? I do have some easier sps and tons of soft coral and a couple different sps
Old 03-31-2013, 03:57 AM

I wouldnt see why not, I think 1 fixture will light a 3ft tank with some shadows on the sides but not much.

I put 3 over my 6ft tank and there is no place in the tank thats dark.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:08 AM

canadianbudz604 is on a distinguished road

For what it's going to cost me in 4 months to replace my bulbs for my 4 bulb t5 I might as well go led. Just want to be sure it's going to be enough light. From the pics I've seen they put off a fair amount of light. More insight please
Old 03-31-2013, 05:02 AM

I have been researching these since the start of January on another forum and various websites. Finally found a few people on another forum who actually use these and have for a while now.

One user has the D120's with just Blues and Whites as well as the D120 Full Spectrum model. Which was great I thought I would really find out which one was better and what the par numbers where.

Now take in mind PAR readings are LED's can be skewed really easy and some people wont even count the numbers. So I figured why not hear from the people who use them.

Heres what they found:
The 250 watt halides, 8x54 watt t5 with new, high end lamps, and the Taotronics (D120) or similar have all scored about the same PAR directly under the fixture.

Everyone who I talked to who owned the unit said the same things.
1. Super Bright
2. Noticed growth and change of corals within month of use
3. Fans run a little loud at times
4. Make sure you get the dimming versions!
5. Warranty and Customer service is GREAT!

I will also mention a few people said they run hot and they are hard to get the colour balance you want. I can say after having them they dont run hot at all and they dont take much to change the colour more to your liking. As for fan noise I dont notice it, its really not loud at all.

Few people have LED's burn out and the company has offered to repair them or just them out replacement LED's at no cost which seems to be what most people do as the units are really easy to open up and repair.

I also found out that it doesnt matter if you use the full spectrum or just the White/Blue combo coral growth is about the same. Some people dont like the more purplish tone the full spectrum ones give off. Myself I like that look so I went in that direction.

I have mine set about 10" off the water and set at 50%. It took a few days of slight increments to work up to 50% as I have heard from other users they can bleach corals out really easy.

Each unit has 2 power cords, one for blues one for whites and most people seem to run the whites for 8-10hrs and blues for 10-12hrs.

They dont have a controller for them but I have seen a few threads on RC about "hacking" a controller to use on them.

I dont really know what else to mention so if you need more info just ask I can point you in the direction of a really long read lol.

Basically summed up they are great units for a good price. Im a strong believer in the idea that not everything in this hobby has to cost a fortune in order for it to be good. These are going to do a great job on my tank as I already notice my corals are open wider and looking healthier.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:02 AM

msjboy is on a distinguished road
Default sounds good....

I think this D120 is cheaper than a DIY kit.
( eg 55 LEDs alone would be about $100 for brigelux ones, throw in 2 power supplies, another $40 - 50 bucks,.... then an expensive heat sink, the fans, wires, solder, etc.

I think I will buy one myself for a frag tank.

msjboy
Old 04-01-2013, 05:23 PM

seapony is on a distinguished road

I just ordered a IT2080 for my 120 gal. I can't wait tell it gets here ill put a review up as soon as I can