Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 03-26-2010, 09:09 PM

deputy1234 is on a distinguished road

Just a quick update,

It took about 14 hours for it to produce it's first skimmate and now at 24 hours the skimmate production is consistent. I have the skimmer in 9" of water and the water level inside the skimmer is 1.25" below the white piece where the cup connects to the skimmer.

At this time, I am impressed with the skimmer. It is doing much better then my last skimmer, H&S A150, which was oversize for my 55g tank with 20gallon sump. Although, the H&S A150 (rated for max 300gallon) is a great skimmer I believe the reason it was not able to produce consistent foam was because my tank did not produce enough waste for the skimmer.

Lastly, its a little early to conclude but I was thinking of getting the Royal Exclusiv Alpha 170 cone for the tank before I decided on the Swc 160 but at this time I am happy I didn't.

Again, a special thanks to TJSlayer for introducing the skimmer.

Last edited by deputy1234; 03-26-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:16 PM

TJSlayer is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you have it setup similar to mine...

If you find it hard to fine tune the height in the body of the skimmer lowering the water level helped me, But I may have it too low now so I may remove a plate sometime.

Mines sitting at about 7.5" max 8 depending on sump level, but it's pulling consitently dark goo at about 1-1.5" in the cup a day so I'm not going to mes with it right now...

Glad your happy

TJ
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 AM

Spiny is on a distinguished road

I received mine this morning. It still has the hick-ups, but so far I can say this: Very well constructed, easy to disassemble, compact, POWERFUL and very very very silent. Man there's bubbles in there! I'll post soon about how it performs
Old 04-01-2010, 03:26 AM

Welcome to the club Spiny.

TJSlayer, where do you have you water level set? I have mine just below the white collar where the cup connects to the skimmer.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:01 AM

That is eesentially where the majority of the top of my bubble colum is set to, so the bobbles are very dense at the collar and start to break down from there, I find with this I empty the cup every 2-3 days and it is really gross, dark, dark skimate.

And yes welcome to the club spiny, you will be happy..
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 04-02-2010, 01:57 AM

Spiny is on a distinguished road

So I had the skimmer in at about 10" and it wasn't performing to my liking. So I jacked it up with some eggcrate contraption. It's now sitting between 7-8" and it's doing so much better! Much easier to adjust the water level too.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:16 AM

Default Re: NEW SWC Extreme 160 Cone review

Yeah 7-8" seems to be about the sweet spot, otherwise skims really wet
Old 04-02-2010, 04:52 AM

I'm thinking I should lower my water level to 8" from 9"
Old 04-05-2010, 01:35 AM

Default Re: NEW SWC Extreme 160 Cone review

Wouldn't hurt to try it, you will probably find it easier to adjust.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and I only live like 2 hours away when I pick up my Tank i may have to pick up a skimmer to .. nice review. slayer