Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 06-26-2010, 06:56 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Well, im contemplating going to check this thing out! Its a 4hr drive but... it looks like its in really good shape. A friend of mine, she and her husband both have insane DH Bikes... she was helping me with some choices... she thinks with the kind of riding im going to do (since I think I will hit more trail/drops than typical riding), that I should attempt to find a soft-tail.

Anyways, heres the bike... thoughts? Its a 'XC Marathon' bike I guess? Has a few upgrades It appears (compared to the Rocky Mountain Site). It might be a bit small for me though from what I understand? I think the price sounds pretty good. Worth a look I guess?

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/661192/

Thanks!

Chris
Old 06-27-2010, 04:13 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

The Rocky ETSX bikes are pretty sweet. That's basically a very sweet ride at a sweet deal. I'd be all over that one.

18" is what I ride. How tall are you? What's your inseam? It might be OK. Smaller bikes are easier to throw around. But it's a comfort thing. My DH bike is a Devinci 8flat8 in a small size, and it's still actually pretty hard to get on from the downhill side it's so dang tall.

You'll have to take it for a ride to really know for sure. Maybe find a RM dealer and take one of these out for a test ride before you make the 4 hour drive...
Old 06-27-2010, 04:23 AM

aquajeep is on a distinguished road

i ride a rocky mtn soul for most stuff but i use my balfa bb7 for big drops ect.rocky mtn are great bikes ive had very few problems with mine.

when one durka just isn't enough!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:26 AM

Tony that first sentence was pretty much the info I was looking for haha. Thanks.

And yeah I definitely plan on trying some out - I might go in on monday or wednesday to try some bikes at the store.

Tony I think im slightly taller than you? Im just over 5'11... but... I wear a 32" leg or so? Not sure... got long limbs haha. We will see.

Thanks for the tips guys. I pretty much just need to shut-up and ride some bikes now, haha.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 06-28-2010, 03:04 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Hmmm, could be on the small side then. I'm 5'9 and all torso, teeny tiny legs, so if 18" fits me it might not fit you. Hard to say though, it's all about what feels more comfortable to you. Try out the LBS's first just to get an idea of a frame size. You never know until you ride it!
Old 07-03-2010, 01:29 AM

Oh man, I took that bike for a ride today (the guy was in town)... Hoooo boy does it ride nicely! I really enjoyed it, and everything worked. The rear suspension didnt have full lock-out (at least we couldn't figure out how to set it), but I could stiffen it a whole ton or make it mooshy, and I can adjust travel from 4" to 5.5" as well. Gears all worked nicely... front brake maybe needs cable tightened... it really hasn't been ridden too much. The gears shift a weird way (buttons for one direction, and clicking break levers for the other), but it was still good, very smooth, all 24 gears or whatever worked. Rode it around a costco parking lot for around 15 mins doing different stuff... rode up/down curbs, hopped it, cat-walked a bit, endo, rode over a nice rock pile (4" rocks)... went really well.

He is willing to move on price down to 900 or 850 MAYBE(from 950)... so Im going to see what the parents say.

I should probably take some other bikes for a ride before deciding, but I had to say I had a great time on this bike.

Thanks,

Chris

Oh the bike fit perfectly too! Except that i would need a new mount for the handlebars that sits closer in/higher up (about an inch or two). Inconsequential I think.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:07 AM

muck is on a distinguished road

What did you end up with Chris??!?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 AM

Gah... I was going to get that bike... but he sold it before I got a chance to call it a done deal. Going to be taking some bikes at some shops for a ride tomorrow (for sure this time). Should be getting one fairly soon I hope! And I will certainly update when I do! Would really like to get something full suspension.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:20 AM

Woop woop! Got me a bike!

http://www.devinci.com/bikes/browse#3_18_44

Its on order though. Not a single store had any of the bikes I wanted in my size, lol. I would have like to get the Desperado 1, slightly better components (same frame as all the chameleon series, and desperado series), but no-one had it in my size and the frame couldnt even be ordered in that size anymore

I tried riding the chameleon 2, the dynamics of it (the way it moved over bumps/curbs/in the air) were nicer than the rocky mountains I had tried in a similar class. I prefered the hydraulic brakes on the chameleon 4 than the rocky. I'll have to get a different handlebar stem so that I can sit better, and a different seat. I may/may not extend the cranks as well. Came out to $1206 after tax... I told my parents I would cover the increase above 1K and so they agreed

Bike should be here in a week... wont get to ride it though for about 2.

Thanks for all the help everyone! For all the tips, info, and wisdom!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 07-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Sweet lookin' black stallion bro. Bet you can't wait to fiddle faddle with that badboy.