Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: In a perfect world, would you want 220V available for your tank?
Yes 33 42.31%
No 45 57.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2009, 04:48 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
What change in cycles??? 120/240 IS 110/220 It's the same. .

um... in north america we use 60 cycle, in Europe they use 50 cycle.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:50 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

The rate of Hz for Euro products are 50-60hz.

Therefore it is no issue
Old 01-17-2009, 07:43 PM

bullit67 is on a distinguished road

The other place that 220 comess into play is some pumps can be run on 220 big external pumps such as the reeflo line can be set up to run on 220.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:25 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

The price of copper has come down significantly in the last couple months
Old 01-17-2009, 08:47 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post

Therefore it is no issue
That's a pretty broad statement and although it may be true for some components, I wouldn't count on it. Just had a quick look at one of my AquaClear powerheads and the manufacturers label states AC 120V 60Hz, not 50-60Hz. Yes things designed for 50Hz may function at 60Hz, but not optimally and in some cases not at all. If you were to hook up a motor driven timer designed for 50 Hz to a 60 Hz supply, it would run fast. Most AC motors will run at a different speed depending on the frequency of the supplied voltage. Yes, there are automatic voltage sensing devices in most components today that allow you to plug into any supply from 110 to over 300 volts, but I have yet to see a component that automatically senses and changes frequency. Many use a transformer/power supply to convert the AC voltage to DC and yes, for those frequency is a non issue. By all means use the 220V, just trying to caution folks that they should confirm any "Euro product" they wish to run on 220V states on the label that it is indeed compatible with 60Hz.

Last edited by mike31154; 01-17-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:51 PM

I agree if it does not give the 50-60Hz range then contact the manuacturer before hand.

But majority of products do have this range and are laballed as such.

This is one thing I miss about being an English native and living in Canada and that is 220V standardisation.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:59 PM

Here are some key facts direct from the web

Wilipedia

Frequency (Hz) Frequency is generally not a problem - most travel items will work OK on either 50 or 60 Hz. If all the electrical appliance does is produce heat and/or light, then the frequency is unlikely to matter.

Frequency is most likely to affect clocks and devices with motors. They may run faster or slower than they should and may be damaged in the long run as a result. Again, though, some motorised devices may function correctly on either 50 or 60 Hz - especially if they also operate on batteries. Just look on the label or plug.

However, you still may need to be careful if you have a sensitive and/or expensive device that converts AC (power from the wall) into DC (battery-like current) - especially if you also need to convert the voltage. A device will convert AC to DC to either : 1) save battery power by allowing you to plug into the mains or 2) to charge a battery in the device. The design of power supplies where AC is converted into DC does take frequency into account. Even though 60 Hz converts a little more easily to DC than 50 Hz does, there's enough tolerance in most small appliances and electronic gadgets that you can ignore frequency. However, if you also need to change the voltage (because the voltage of your device is different from the mains power voltage), you cannot use a switching-type converter. You must use the heavier iron-core transformer. If in doubt, consult a reputable electrical goods dealer.

If your device won't operate with a different frequency (powerful motors and all clocks), there is really nothing you can do to change it. Unlike voltage, frequency cannot easily be converted. Foreign embassies may have to use huge generators to provide current compatible with equipment from home.

Japan is a special case. East Japan (eg Tokyo) uses 50 Hz and west Japan (eg Osaka) uses 60 Hz. Equipment made for the Japanese market may have a switch to select 50 Hz or 60 Hz.

Here is another

The higher voltage of 250 VAC means there will be less current for a given load, and therefore less power loss along a given length of wire having a given diameter. The length and diameter of the copper wire determine its resistance. The power loss is equal to the current squared, multiplied by the resistance. So, less current means less power loss.

The lower voltage of the USA means less efficiency, but greater safety. It is less likely to receive a fatal electrocution from the lower voltage under the same conditions.

The 50 Hz vs the 60 Hz makes little difference. The machinery making the 50 Hz rotates a little slower and may need slightly less maintenance. Products based on 60 Hz could weigh slightly less due to smaller transformer cores and motor armatures needed, but that doesn't really happen because most products are designed to run on either frequency.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:05 AM

e46er is on a distinguished road

just a thought dont buy wiring from HD rona anywhere like that go to an electrical supplier most will do counter sales and its substantly cheeper.
when i needed 120' of tek cable for a heat pump it was like 5.85 /ft at supplier slight discount but like 26 bux at Rona i cant remeber the gauge tho it was 8 or 10 Gauge.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:22 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post

Therefore it is no issue
not realy, there is stuff that is built for either market hence 50/60 but I do have a couple items I picked up in europe that is only 50Hz and will work on 60 but it will spin faster and also make more heat and die faster on 60Hz hence it is labled 50Hz not 50/60Hz. and for this reason I had to buy a 60 to 50 Hz converter.

So basicly if you buy something that states 50/60 on the lable then yes you can use it on either market but if it only has 60Hz or 50Hz then it will not work properly on the other.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.