Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-07-2011, 05:02 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignose View Post
I'm not sure if it is a tyree but I was told it is a purple monster. They were sold here in Edmonton not to long ago so you never know.
It's kind of funny what names are given to corals isn't it? Add the word "Ultra" and it sells. Or the word "Monster", or "Super" or "Paradise" or "Dragon". As long as you like the coral Jason, then that's awesome. I have no idea what half the corals are in my tank, but I still like 'em even if it's a plain old "Tan coloured Acro"
Old 04-07-2011, 12:44 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

No doubt Dez.

But it is just easy to identify a coral that way. I could have said the purple loripes that has been captively grown and traded in the hobby for years, originally coming from Steve Tyree in California but tyree purple monster is just easier.

Personally I think this corals sells (for a pretty penny) is because it is rare, especially colorfull, captive grown for generations, and proven to look good in a multitude of tank condtions.

Having said that though I will be honest and say that marketing/branding does play a role too...but not the most important IMO.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:46 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
It's kind of funny what names are given to corals isn't it? Add the word "Ultra" and it sells. Or the word "Monster", or "Super" or "Paradise" or "Dragon". As long as you like the coral Jason, then that's awesome. I have no idea what half the corals are in my tank, but I still like 'em even if it's a plain old "Tan coloured Acro"
No matter what it is... I have seen this "monster" in person and it is going to be a knockout!

The purple is PURPLE and the tips are all turning green. Probably going to be his nicest coral ... cough cough frag cough cough ha ha ha ha!

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 PM

bignose is on a distinguished road

I was at aquarium illusions today and they are selling a nice sized colony of purple monster for a significant amount. I never asked if it is a Tyree but for that price it must be a special piece.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:24 PM

I was at red coral yesterday and I seen these magician palys. 9 polyps for $10 I couldn't resist.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:13 AM

My macro shot attempt of Purple polyp pink birdnest.

Another shot of the so called purple monster although I'm starting to think it's not because the colors are brighter than the pics on the internet.

New zoa frag I got from red coral. Don't know what it is can someone ID it?

Walt smith purple sps
Old 04-24-2011, 12:28 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignose View Post
I was at red coral yesterday and I seen these magician palys. 9 polyps for $10 I couldn't resist.
Have the palys gone bright red for you yet? I picked up a frag from rcc and wow when the actinic come on, hope there the same ones for you.

360 Reef Tank
Old 04-24-2011, 04:31 AM

There are nice red lines coming from the center out. That shot is with aquablue special(12k I believe?) bulbs on. Like your saying when the actinics come on the colors in the magicians really show. Not sure if it's the bulbs or the coral settling into my tank probably a bit of both. I big thanks to Steve at red coral for these beauts though.

I was hoping to get some of the Joker paly at red coral yesterday but they sold out before the store opened. Oh well Steve so kindly put me on the waiting list now I have to wait WTH!!! kidding Steve I can wait. Got my fingers crossed hopefully I'm at the top of the waiting list!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:04 AM

Since my last post I split my returns and added a couple more flare nozzles reducing the flow allowing for full flow. No more sand storm and all my corals seem to be happy.

I also changed my bulbs to the following:
1. ATI Blue plus
2. KZ Newgen II
3. D&D Powerchrome pink
4. ATI Aquablue Sp.
5. ATI Purple+
6. ATI Aquablue Sp.
7. ATI Purple plus
8. ATI Blue plus

For the past month I've started dosing vodka and have positive results except for 1 coral with some bleached tips but the color seems to be coming back slowly. Growth and color are starting to increase. Presently I'm at 1.3 ml daily and will soon be dosing zeobak.

Also some hair algae is appearing in my tank probably from all the frozen food I've been feeding. I've cut back the frozen to once every 3 days and feed nls pellets for the other days. To combat the algae I bought a lawnmower blenny.
I also bought another scooter dragonette to pair with my other scooter. They were doing their dance last night swimming up and around the tank, very interesting to watch. No aggression between them so I'm happy.

FTS

purple deaths

blue mille starting to color up

alien eyes

onyx true percula

Last edited by bignose; 06-22-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:47 AM

chris88 is on a distinguished road

love the aquascape. that tank is going to look awsome when it all grows in.