Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-25-2009, 04:52 PM

Jay180reef is on a distinguished road

wow, $700 is insane
Old 02-25-2009, 04:58 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

I need to do some homework about this or I will have a conniption when the next bill arrives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
You would actually get much better coral growth by NOT having the halides run all day. There seems to still be a big debate about how long is best but it has been determined that its certainly NOT 8-12 hours a day like many people do but much less. I think one of the last few TOTM on RC was running his 5 hours a day. I am at 6 hours a day now.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:03 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
I need to do some homework about this or I will have a conniption when the next bill arrives...
Search RC for the threads. Basically there is only so much light corals can use in a day. The rest of the time, its wasted light and in some cases, not even good for the corals. Many people are seeing nicer color with a shorter photoperiod.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:23 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Thanks Justin it is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Search RC for the threads. Basically there is only so much light corals can use in a day. The rest of the time, its wasted light and in some cases, not even good for the corals. Many people are seeing nicer color with a shorter photoperiod.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:48 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
Sometimes I will be in bed and hear the furnace kick on downstairs and I won't sleep unless I go shut it off...
OMG I'm not the only one! I'm exactly the same way. Everyone I know tells me I'm crazy for turning the furnace down so low (15) at night. All I know is that I can't sleep with the noise it makes.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:24 AM

spreerider is on a distinguished road

you can calculate each devices cost and your entire tank cost by taking the watts of each device and dividing by 1000 to get Kw then multiplying by how many hours they are on per day, then multiply by the number of days in the month then by the KWH (KiloWatt / Hour) rate
EG
250W MH
250 / 1000 = .25KW X 11 = 2.75 X 30 = 82.5KWH X (rate) $.069 = $5.69 per month roughly
Old 02-26-2009, 02:39 AM

Albertan22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by es355lucille View Post
Does anyone know if Epcor has a plan the same as Enmax? Right now I am paying ~11.65 cents per kWh with Epcor. I will have to check out Enmax as well..... thats a good savings! Thanks 24storm! Brad & Sharon.
Be careful with the locked in rate plans. I know a few people who have signed up for them and their bills actually went up significantly. They tend to charge less for electricity, but get you on all the extra fees (which aren't locked in). If you look back through this thread you'll see that a lot of people on those plans are paying more in administration fees than electricity, which isn't the case with my Epcor bill
Old 02-26-2009, 03:13 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have crabs View Post
gas is a lot cheaper than electricity, leave the heat up so you dont spend the money on heating up your tank

Not from what I have experienced. My last place, a three floor Duplex, was solely elec heat. My elec bill was less than my buds gas bill for his place.

When talking Large ovens, Like my Powdercoat ovens, Elec is cheap. Just takes a while to heat a 7'x6'x5' Oven. 18KW of elec heat.

My gas bill for just my trailer is about the same as the Hydro bill for the house AND the shop/oven. But then, I was stupid a while back and locked my gas in BAD DAN, BAD....

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 02-26-2009, 04:26 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
Not from what I have experienced. My last place, a three floor Duplex, was solely elec heat. My elec bill was less than my buds gas bill for his place.

When talking Large ovens, Like my Powdercoat ovens, Elec is cheap. Just takes a while to heat a 7'x6'x5' Oven. 18KW of elec heat.

My gas bill for just my trailer is about the same as the Hydro bill for the house AND the shop/oven. But then, I was stupid a while back and locked my gas in BAD DAN, BAD....
i found my heaters ran about half the time and when you have about 1000w of heaters the savings add up, also remember half the gas bill is fixed rates and fee's the actuall part that goes up with usage didnt go up that much for me.

as far as enmax they dont have plans any only use the monthly wich over the last 2 years has hovered between 9-12cents enmax has a locked in rate right now for 8cents, its a 5 year term but you can change it or get out of it anytime with no penalty, i switched from epcor to enmax online the other day and now have to wait 5-8weeks to start saving money.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:07 AM

24storm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have crabs View Post
i found my heaters ran about half the time and when you have about 1000w of heaters the savings add up, also remember half the gas bill is fixed rates and fee's the actuall part that goes up with usage didnt go up that much for me.

as far as enmax they dont have plans any only use the monthly wich over the last 2 years has hovered between 9-12cents enmax has a locked in rate right now for 8cents, its a 5 year term but you can change it or get out of it anytime with no penalty, i switched from epcor to enmax online the other day and now have to wait 5-8weeks to start saving money.
I called enmax yesterday and locked in on the easymax plan and they told me it goes into effect the next day. You may want to give a call and check they actually answer phones there to. I think i was on hold for all of 1 minute.

Keith