Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: What do you use to control humidity?
I don't use anything (I'm lucky) 70 44.59%
Humidex 1 0.64%
HRV 15 9.55%
Big exhaust fan 18 11.46%
Dehumidifier(s) 46 29.30%
Something else (please explain) 12 7.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 PM

loveless is on a distinguished road

I must warn you about the sound. I definitely wouldnt call it loud, but it does make noise. I have about 6feet of ducting on either end which makes it fairly quiet. I have the fan mounted in a room in the basement and the ducting hooked up directly to the canopy. Its almost silent at the tank but makes a slight whirring sound one would expect from a fan in the room it is mounted in. Other than that it is a seemingly good product.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:30 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

only problem with a fan only, is along with the moisture your dumping out that warm air you just paid to heat.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:05 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

'm in a mobile Home, which is sealed up like a pasta strainer so no issues here HAHAHA

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 02-18-2009, 01:12 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri View Post
I really want an HRV but Drew thinks it will be too hard to install with no existing ductwork as we don't have a furnace, just electric heat. (He's probably right, he's pretty reasonable lol) But....an exhaust fan.... you just punk a hole in the wall and set it up, right? I like the idea of a humidex but I don't know if it will be powerful enough.... Oh choices...
Keri just to let you in on something here. may friend has over 1000 gallons in his house. and his humidity was sitting at 85-90% all the time windows were dripping like crazy i couldn't believe how damp it was in his house. He installed a Humid ex and with in 3 days the % was down to 35 % and man what a difference, just remember this machine works and but remember never go that fast the is should have been done over a course of 2 weeks not 3 days . so its does work. the model he has is rated for 2500 SQ Ft and he has 1000 up and a 1000 down and it was pretty fast sucking out the water. now its like so dry in there but nice.

Just remember to install it in the basement and insure that you have fresh pipe around 2" vringing in fresh air. but you have no furance you are lucky then..
Old 02-18-2009, 01:14 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

We're going with an HRV, and will probably install a humidex as well should the HRV not handle moisture, or is impossible to conform to our needs. We see some moisture on our main floor, however it isn't necessarily from the tank in the basement. Our house is older, from the 50s, and we don't have a bathroom fan.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
We're going with an HRV, and will probably install a humidex as well should the HRV not handle moisture, or is impossible to conform to our needs. We see some moisture on our main floor, however it isn't necessarily from the tank in the basement. Our house is older, from the 50s, and we don't have a bathroom fan.
If you size your hrv right, thats all you should need. They make some pretty large hrv units, including double core models.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:47 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
Catherine i have a huge bathroom fan on a timer i have a older house built in the 50's too. however once the new windows went in and the new brick and siding house facelift its pretty sealed tight now.. and i hdotn hav any issues in there with your setup i see that you could run the bathroom fan in the fish room where your sump will be. and have a fan blowing air in the hood and then having suck out to the fish room where the fan would blow it out...
Old 02-18-2009, 05:11 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

We installed a Hepa 3000 and have not seen ice on the windows since. I'd still like to learn how to use the controls better..

http://www.greenrinc.com/ven/hepa.htm
Old 02-18-2009, 06:33 AM

Keri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB View Post
We installed a Hepa 3000 and have not seen ice on the windows since. I'd still like to learn how to use the controls better..

http://www.greenrinc.com/ven/hepa.htm

Did you run it thru existing ducting or make your own?

asmodeus:
I'd love it if a humidex would work.... your buddy had 1000 gallons, eh? hmmm...
Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 AM

Gizmo is on a distinguished road

With the venmar system you can use some existing vents if you have them. I disconnected the 6" fresh air intake from the furnace and connected it to the fresh air in on the venmar. I then used a bathroom fan exhaust for the stale air out. The 2 8" ducts can be connected to walls or anywhere in your house. I have my stale are in sucking air out of my fish tank mechanical room and the clean air out is connected to the place where I disconnected the fresh air intake from the furnace originally. I'll take some pics to show. But basically, you can put the 2 8" ducts anywhere you like. Its just a matter of exhausting the stale air out of your house that will be the tricky one.

Tags
condensation, humidity, mold