Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 PM

arash53 is on a distinguished road

Tanked review by Scott Fellman :

“Tanked” – A Dose Of Reality That Doesn’t Hold Water

Like many hobbyists, I decided to check out the Animal Planet reality series, “Tanked” last night. Rather than getting caught up in the negative “pre-smack talk” about the show, I decided to actually watch it before rendering an opinion. So, …Okay, well, where do I begin? First, as a hardcore reef hobbyist, I knew that the show had to be a bit “dumbed down” for the non-hobbyist masses. I overlooked that. I knew that many of the details of what the guys do each day would be glossed over because it probably doesn’t making compelling television to watch guys perform a pH test. I overlooked that. I knew that wacky antics and lots of yelling and reality-show absurdity would be included to provide entertainment value. The “stars” of the show already have their own GEICO ad. I overlooked that.

Let’s face it. Wayde King and Brett Raymer of ATM are incredibly talented individuals that have built a great business giving their clientele the aquariums of their dreams. Bravo to these guys! They get their livestock from my man, Justin Credible, which is a big plus! They produce aquarium displays that are unique, well-built, and perfect for their customers (I mean, not everyone wants an aquarium in a telephone booth…). Sure, most of these aquariums would leave a serious hobbyist scratching their heads, but I don’t think that we’re their target market.

What disturbed me was not anything that I saw the guys do (okay, provoking a puffer fish or lifting a tang out of the water is lame- I don’t care who you are). It was what they did NOT appear to do. It’s the way their work was portrayed by the producers and editors. When the show portrays a complicated tank build being done in what appears to be a matter of hours, and then being filled with tap water, salt mix and…in one instance, ice cubes , then stocked to the max with crazy assortment of fishes right away, I have to wonder. Were the producers trying to raise the blood pressure for every serious aquarium hobbyist in the world?

The impression that this portrayal of the aquarium world leaves on the general public or the inexperienced hobbyist is that you can have an “instant aquarium”, filled with a large population of fishes right from day one. Fish are fun and easy! Nitrogen cycle? What nitrogen cycle? The guys’ concern that “the fishes can only be in the bags another few hours” while installing a very expensive aquarium only begs the question as to why in the hell anyone would bring out the fishes before the aquarium build was completed in the first place?

What responsible aquarist fills an aquarium with tap water, mixes the salt, then throws the fishes right in? Yikes! I’d love to see the stats on how many of those fishes actually made it through the first week. This “practice” is even more amazing when you think about these systems having very little in the way of visible biological support (no live rock or live sand).

Although I commend the guys for indulging a client and building a (permanent) quarantine system, I can’t help but think that this installation was just to give the wealthy client another big group of fishes to look at. So little time was spent explaining the design or merits of a quarantine system or process that it just felt “unclean” to me.

Okay, let’s face it- a lot of the things we hardcore hobbyists do are probably not all that interesting to the rest of the world… Tweaking calcium reactors and playing with our electronic controllers…Maybe we’d make for dull television. However, portraying aquariums as eye-popping wonders requiring no understanding or patience on the part of the consumer is just not responsible. As an aquarium professional, the hardest thing for me to reconcile is my own values versus the clients’ perception of the aquarium as a piece of “kinetic art”. This show did little to dispel that thinking, unfortunately.

So, to summarize. Really talented aquarium fabricators. Annoying clients. Staged hilarity and hijinx. Little emphesis on technique. Producers and editors portrayed the guys as a bit too much into “the big idea” and not enough into the art of aquaristics. Missed opportunities. “Tanked”, ahem- tanked.

On the plus side- I learned that Goldfish have no stomach!

Best part- Justin! Hope they let him say more. In addition to having the coolest hair, he’s the most talented person on the show. Hell- give Justin his own show!

I’m outta here. The next episode of “Animal Hoarders” is on now, followed by “Hillbilly Hand Fishing” and “American Chopper”. Where are the chips and dip?

Until next time…

Stay Wet

Scott Fellman

facebook.com/scott.fellman
Old 08-22-2011, 11:54 PM

RedCoralEdmonton is on a distinguished road

One thing to remember is this was only the pilot episode, so things may change drastically once the show takes off.... basically im saying is they only had one hour to show as much as they could to try and get picked up....

Now do I think they are going to change and get all technical.... no.... do I think they may show a little more into the set-ups.... probably....

Just my 2 cents...

Steve
Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

I have to say I agree with Scott Fellman. It was entertaining but definitely fell short with the reality of the work involved to make a saltwater tank work.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:52 AM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

It was ok, little more OCC than i'd like, but that's what sells. Seemed like a lot of air time to show very little. There was 15min+ of them putting a cover over a pole. tanks where cool, with they showed more tanks rather than QT setups they're building. the small glimpse of the people 3+ tanks in their house would have been nice to see more.

Anyways, for those who didn't pvr it etc, it's available on torrent sites.... But don't DL those, it's against copyright laws... just saying it's there.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:35 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

I didnt think it was too bad.....like Steve said......if the producers showed more of the technical side of the hobby, the show would end up on access TV.....it somewhat needs to be OCC like to hold the general public's interest....for all we know that QT build could have taken weeks......they never did reveal a timeline for that build and in one of the monologues they said that most builds have a 4-6 week timeline......the only part that bothered me was the way they handled some of the fish when they were shopping for them.....I for one think it cant be too bad a thing to wake up the masses to our great hobby
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694

Last edited by fishytime; 08-23-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:40 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Another dumb post. YOu must be totally clueless about these fish to post such message. Yeah they are cool fish, so buy one for your 30 gallons tank. NO wait a minute, why not buy a school of tiny blue hippo and put that in your 30 gallons tank? still clueless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatreefguy View Post
Maybe they should make a Daniella3d show so you can have your opinion broadcast! Really, these guys are catering to a broad audience, and the fish they recommended are all cool (even Damsels). If this show catches on, it could give this hobby quite a boost so don't be so quick to knock 'em.

Last edited by daniella3d; 08-23-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:21 AM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
Another dumb post. YOu must be totally clueless about these fish to post such message. Yeah they are cool fish, so buy one for your 30 gallons tank. NO wait a minute, why not buy a school of tiny blue hippo and put that in your 30 gallons tank? still clueless?
wtf are you even talking about? if this guy wants to keep a a thousand damsels in his backyard pool, thats his choice. who made you the genius that determines what fish are good or not?

the reason they probably put damsels in these tanks is cause the customer doesn't know anything about maintaining the tank and damsels are hardy as fu ck. so they dont have to worry about them dying all the time.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:31 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

damsels? can you read?? you are surely no genious because I was not talking about damsels, but a school of blue hippo. Hello??

How about how hardy blue hippo are??? genious??? yeah right, genious! They are not called ick magent for no reason...genious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
wtf are you even talking about? if this guy wants to keep a a thousand damsels in his backyard pool, thats his choice. who made you the genius that determines what fish are good or not?

the reason they probably put damsels in these tanks is cause the customer doesn't know anything about maintaining the tank and damsels are hardy as fu ck. so they dont have to worry about them dying all the time.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
damsels? can you read?? you are surely no genious because I was not talking about damsels, but a school of blue hippo. Hello??

How about how hardy blue hippo are??? genious??? yeah right, genious! They are not called ick magent for no reason...genious...
Your original post said "who wants damsels"
Old 08-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about