Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: All-in-one controller or multiple controllers?
Profilux or Aqua Controller II etc 38 77.55%
Ranco temp, Tunze 7095, Pinpoint Ph, light timers etc 11 22.45%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2009, 11:09 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

I guess you did not read the entire thread from UR in the UK.

If you read the rest of the thread you will see the issue was caused by people connecting high voltage devises to the wrong port, even though each controller came with a warning label to make sure correct devises were connected to correct ports, and also it was mentioned in the manual.

So what GHL did to stop users making this error and blowing up their ProfiLux was to put a thermal fuse cut out inside all controllers, low and behold since then not one single issue

Sometimes it is hard to compensate for such user errors but least profiLux stopped future user mistakes in its tracks.

The person who actually tried to make a big deal of this also from what I gather was the distributors of a competitors brand.

AQ is actually nearly $200 more expensive than GHL

http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/ AQ $799

http://www.progressivereef.com/prodd...rod=prflxp2bgn

ProfiLux $599.00CAD

If you are still looking into the AQ best to take a good look at the RC forum to learn all what is happening and get user feedback, just as I would suggest with GHL or any other controller.

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 02-13-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
But i'm not lazy enough to need a controller
On behalf of controllers users. Thanks. You were doing good in your argument until now.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:51 AM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

Argh but it has nothing to do with being lazy

But we are in this hobby to create sustainability and try to mimic nature as best as possible by providing a non fluctuating enviromant

Controllers are intuitive making your system run in step with nature by allowing things such as accurate dosing, sustaining pH levels, salinity levels to be kept in check all able to sync together (talk to each other)

Seperates can not talk to each other, for instance GHL salinity control programmed together with auto top off to make sure your salinity does not fluctuate. Thats just one important example where controllers come up above seperates, the ability to combine important functions that your system requires for stability.

Many functions a tank needs interlock with each other seperate controllers like ph and levels can not do.

Another example. tunze control timed and sync'd with moon phase of your lighting for nocturnal ebb and flow.

Level sensor alarms that turn off pumps incase off floods.

I could go on, but this has to be the biggest advantage over seperates that any controller has.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:25 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
On behalf of controllers users. Thanks. You were doing good in your argument until now.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
Argh but it has nothing to do with being lazy

But we are in this hobby to create sustainability and try to mimic nature as best as possible by providing a non fluctuating enviromant

Controllers are intuitive making your system run in step with nature by allowing things such as accurate dosing, sustaining pH levels, salinity levels to be kept in check all able to sync together (talk to each other)

Seperates can not talk to each other, for instance GHL salinity control programmed together with auto top off to make sure your salinity does not fluctuate. Thats just one important example where controllers come up above seperates, the ability to combine important functions that your system requires for stability.

Many functions a tank needs interlock with each other seperate controllers like ph and levels can not do.

Another example. tunze control timed and sync'd with moon phase of your lighting for nocturnal ebb and flow.

Level sensor alarms that turn off pumps incase off floods.

I could go on, but this has to be the biggest advantage over seperates that any controller has.

But i can do all of this jumping up and down...swearing and cursing and...yeah yeah...okay you have a point. But many reef tanks that look amazing have no controllers. THey are not necessary to maintain a beautiful healthy reef system. They make it easier..or rather more convenient (which for modern humans means lazy!) they are not a necessary peice of equipment to have. Again if I had the money i would get one...and become lazy..er proactive in my reefkeeping

Old 02-14-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
I guess you did not read the entire thread from UR in the UK.

If you read the rest of the thread you will see the issue was caused by people connecting high voltage devises to the wrong port, even though each controller came with a warning label to make sure correct devises were connected to correct ports, and also it was mentioned in the manual.

So what GHL did to stop users making this error and blowing up their ProfiLux was to put a thermal fuse cut out inside all controllers, low and behold since then not one single issue

Sometimes it is hard to compensate for such user errors but least profiLux stopped future user mistakes in its tracks.

The person who actually tried to make a big deal of this also from what I gather was the distributors of a competitors brand.

AQ is actually nearly $200 more expensive than GHL

http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/ AQ $799

http://www.progressivereef.com/prodd...rod=prflxp2bgn

ProfiLux $599.00CAD

If you are still looking into the AQ best to take a good look at the RC forum to learn all what is happening and get user feedback, just as I would suggest with GHL or any other controller.
See you had to fix the profilux.... Kidding of course. Okay, last time i looked into things the profilux was more expensive, seeing this i would admit that If...if..one was to buy a controller profilux is the best out there...(this is being said by comparing specs/prices and not actually using it...if you want to send me a demo and i'll let you know what i think)
I do admit that profilux has the best name, my biggest question is the question of whether we need one or not...for me, seeing how many tanks are amazing that don't the fact my tank works nicely etc...i must conclude it is a nice way to automate things i can already do...not sold on the moon thing...if the profilux could automate my shaking of my zeovit reactor...that'd be nice...but again i can do that...

Old 02-14-2009, 02:38 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I think Michael makes a good point about controllers tying many operations together. When functioning correctly they can also create a more stable environment and nobody can argue against the importance of that.

I find your laziness comment a little rude. I wanted constructive critique of both methods of equipment control not judgment passed on advocates of either method.

I think at this point I'd totally buy a controller if I was convinced the unit as a whole was as bulletproof as the stand-alone components it was to replace. Nothing is 100% bulletproof but I want to get as close as reasonably possible.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:39 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

double post.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I think Michael makes a good point about controllers tying many operations together. When functioning correctly they can also create a more stable environment and nobody can argue against the importance of that.

I find your laziness comment a little rude. I wanted constructive critique of both methods of equipment control not judgment passed on advocates of either method.

I think at this point I'd totally buy a controller if I was convinced the unit as a whole was as bulletproof as the stand-alone components it was to replace. Nothing is 100% bulletproof but I want to get as close as reasonably possible.
It is not really rude, convenient=laziness please do try and really think just what convenience means...again i like the controllers, but again there are so many amazing tanks that don't use it. If you think you need one go ahead. But totm's run ranco's and timers...until a controller allows me to do something I CAN'T do without one, then to me it is a luxury than is more appearance than function. Yes if i had the money i would get one, but if asked i would be honest in saying it made my reefkeeping easier...less stuff i had to do manually---ie lazyiness

Old 02-14-2009, 02:57 AM
Gold Member

Perhaps it's lazy to not plan a system to the fullest of your abilities? That's what I'm attempting to do =)

You stated in your sentence that the use of controllers was lazy. There was no mention of convenience there so people reading that may see it as rude fyi.

You also state TOTM's use rancos. There are so many varied TOTM's and some use controllers and some don't use anything at all.