Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Oceanic Corals > Everything Pellets

Old 03-27-2010, 07:31 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Okay so 6 day update;

I'm a very skeptical person, as a Science student I'm constantly berated with the fact that I should never accept anything without proof. So to see people post on here that in the span of 5 days they are getting amazing results is... interesting to say the least (especially when the package says 2-4 weeks).

That being said, THESE THINGS ARE AMAZING for those of you who are hesitant take my word for $65.00 this has to be one of the best investments I have made to the fish tank and they last 6+ months for a single bag!

Right before I set up my reactor I upgraded my sump and had to move a DSB into my fuge, doing so released a large amount of dissolved nutrients and probably some hydrogen sulfide. This made for one angry tank, one of my favorite monti's melted on me and I lost 2 zoa colonies as well as some major nuisance algae and some browned out SPS.

Now it might be a combination of increased water volume and the 100 additional mangroves I added to the fuge but with the amount of mulm this thing is kicking out I'm leaning towards the NP-Biopellets accounting for my quick tank recovery. Far past recovery, in the span of 6 days my corals have never looked better! Color and polyp extension on the SPS and LPS are incredible and my zoas all look healthy and plump. Water clarity (Except when my reactor gets clogged) has never been better.

System is a 170g main tank, 70g sump, 25g frag and 29g DSB/ Mangrove fuge. I run a VERY heavy bioload (7 Tangs, 3 Anthias, 2 Blennys, 2 Clown Fish, 3 Wrasses, 2 manderins and 2 cardinals). So I think I might go out, buy another bag and a larger reactor.

A+++ Review on my behalf, I'm running 500ml of them in a TLF reactor with a MJ1200 and they are flying around in the thing. Best $65.00 I have ever spent on the reef.
Levi
Old 03-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Great review! Glad you are happy with the outcome.....!

O.C.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:18 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanicCorals-Ian- View Post
Great review! Glad you are happy with the outcome.....!

O.C.
Thanks Eugene, I will post photos of the tank when I get home and will keep everyone updated as to my results. Lets just say 6 days ago when I tested my Nitrates my jaw dropped a little due to the heavy pink hue of the test kit. I have yet to re-test but will do so tonight, very excited for the results.
Levi
Old 03-27-2010, 08:51 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

I don't understand why people are glueing the TLF reactor to get it working properly. I have two TLF reactors connected together on my 90 Gal, they are driven by a MJ1200 full open and everything tumbles nicely. All I did to change the reactors was to remove the foam and replace it with plastic canvas from the craft store. I just cut it the same diameter as the plate with a small hole in the center so it slides over the inner tube. The holes in the plastic canvas allow for good flow and are small enough that the pellets won't pass through. I did the exact same thing on the Vertex I am using on my 180 Gal and it works fine.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:56 PM

Ian is on a distinguished road

For those of you using the vertex reactor what flow rate are you using? I think I need to move mine up some.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:07 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
For those of you using the vertex reactor what flow rate are you using? I think I need to move mine up some.

Wide open with an MJ1200
Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 PM

pterfloth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatreefguy View Post
I don't understand why people are glueing the TLF reactor to get it working properly. I have two TLF reactors connected together on my 90 Gal, they are driven by a MJ1200 full open and everything tumbles nicely. All I did to change the reactors was to remove the foam and replace it with plastic canvas from the craft store. I just cut it the same diameter as the plate with a small hole in the center so it slides over the inner tube. The holes in the plastic canvas allow for good flow and are small enough that the pellets won't pass through. I did the exact same thing on the Vertex I am using on my 180 Gal and it works fine.
Which model TLF reactor are you using?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatreefguy View Post
And I can't understand how you get it to work without glueing (actually I did'nt glue mine I just let it hang. I did the plastic canvas thing too and a MJ1200 and the pellets aren't doing a damned thing

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 PM

pterfloth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
And I can't understand how you get it to work without glueing (actually I did'nt glue mine I just let it hang. I did the plastic canvas thing too and a MJ1200 and the pellets aren't doing a damned thing
I was going to use my 550 as well, then read your post. Do you have it sitting in the sump so that there is no head pressure to overcome?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterfloth View Post
I was going to use my 550 as well, then read your post. Do you have it sitting in the sump so that there is no head pressure to overcome?

Yep its in the sump, I ended up removing the top plate, flipping the bottom plate over and adding a piece of mesh to the "top" plate. Seems that builds up a bit of pressure in the reactor allowing the pellets to fly around. It still requires a ridiculous amount of flow to get the pellets moving

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.