Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 11-29-2010, 04:42 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Just for a reference:

My house is 11 years old, with silent floor system. Basically the engineered floor.

My tank is a 180G, with a steal stand and a 105G sump.

It is in my bonus room, above the garage. No extra supports. Basically I was told that I am on 2 supporting walls, and that the strength of the area I am in is one of the strongest points in the house.

FYI, Tank has never moved. I keep a level with out, and regularily check it.

So, what I am getting at is check out what you have for flooring, which way the joices are running and do you have any supporting walls. You may be good to go for the larger tank!

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 PM

Magma is on a distinguished road

well I have a 7foot area along an outside wall in the living room which I would love to put the tank along, its right next to our stairs leading into our house and I cant figure out which was the supports run because in the basement suite below us the roof is finished. (I know because I used to live there.)

So 72x18x18 would be awesome to throw into that space just dont know if I would trust it...the house is older as well...
Old 11-29-2010, 11:11 PM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

A 72x18 on a proper weight distributing stand will put less than 150 lbs. pressure per square foot on the whole area... You put more pressure than that just standing on the floor. Just put the tank against a load bearing wall and you'll be fine.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:56 AM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

For sure I would buy the tank from ZoaElite. However, if you do want a custom tank I wouldnt go with any of the builders suggested in this thread. Having gone through the process of building a large custom tank, I know a fair bit about this aspect of the hobby. If you want my opinion, take a look at my build thread or PM me.

- Brad
Old 12-16-2010, 02:02 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Using reason like a tank puts less lbs/sqft than a person or other house hold items isn't good. By the same reasoning you could say a floor can easily support 200lb/sqft since my buddy is 200lbs and can stand on a single tile meaning you could install a swimming pool without problems. However it obviously doesn't work that way and residential buildings are typically rated at a minimum of 40lb/sqft.

Without knowing the exact details of the floor support you can calculate how much weight you can put in a room using the standard residential minimum of 40 lbs/sqft.

For example if your room is 20'x10' that's 200 sqft meaning that room has to be able to support 8000 lbs total. Next apply some reason as the tank won't be distributed over the entire floor. Say for example the tank runs perpendicular to the floor joists and you manage to get the tank to sit on 6 of the 10 joists in the room, therefore using about 60% of the support. So you don't want to exceed 60% of 8000lbs or 4800lbs. That of course is max so you'll want to subtract for other furniture and live weight such as yourself and other people.

If you do know details you can play around with this

Last edited by sphelps; 12-16-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Difference between a room full of people at a party (who aren't there 24-7 for years) and a tank as well. Gradual sagging of the joists etc under constant load which can then mess with other things.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:24 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
just looking for a cheap deal really, i have a 75gal that has a leak and i tried to reseal it and it didnt work so im frustrated with it and want to get another one with a better stand, sump etc.
Have you tried Concept Aquarium?
Old 12-17-2010, 04:36 AM

JohnnyReeftank is on a distinguished road

I was trying to look them up.....are they in Edmonton?
Old 12-17-2010, 04:49 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReeftank View Post
I was trying to look them up.....are they in Edmonton?
They are in Calgary. look up ConceptAquarium user
Old 12-17-2010, 05:49 AM

Magma is on a distinguished road

heard mixed price ranges from them, so im on the fence with ordering a tank right now.

Bow valley has given me a range for tank, sump, stand at about $600-$800 (depending on final design of course)
red coral gave me a quote for aprox $1200
Wai's gave me a quote for tank, sump at around $600
Elite told me no way no how until after January his actually line was "Good luck with that but im not doing it" so I dont think im ever going to deal with them after that experience.

So many places and they all do a good job at a different price, its all in how much you wanna pay, and with that I see a problem...its a tank, its glass and silicone maybe its cheaper to build the tank myself? Then again how much time do I want to put into a tank or better yet do I have the free time to be doing that myself?

Lots of questions, lots of prices and even more ways to come to a conclusion so this tank is going to be on hold till after the new year for sure.