Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 11-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Just curious, are DIY LED fixtures, and other DIY devices involving electricity (eg. ATO switches) illegal, and no insurance coverage if there is a fire?
I was thinking the same thing
Old 11-05-2013, 03:32 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Can you here the crickets?? Good question, let the panic ensue.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:33 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I think the moral of this story is that if you're going to burn down your house with non approved electrical hardware, then just make sure that the equipment in question has completely disintegrated beyond all recognition. Problem solved. Thank me later.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
Can you here the crickets?? Good question, let the panic ensue.
I know for certain that any electrical project I undertake is much more likely to light my house on fire than any factory produced equipment. So far Brad's projects, 2 fires, counterfeit sticker items, 0.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:40 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

And does this mean I should disconnect my DIY water sensor (connected to my Apex IO Breakout Box) that shuts down my pumps if I have a water leak or spill?

Last edited by Reef Pilot; 11-05-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

In my research of LED's I read this.

"Low voltage LED lights do not require these seals as they are required only for line voltage (AC) devices"

I also read the following.

"products that are considered “low voltage devices” by UL do not require UL approval. These devices utilize voltages ranging from 0 to 24VDC and do not have intrinsic safety requirements or other safety requirements for which UL approval would be required."

Last edited by Seriak; 11-05-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:52 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorcookie View Post
uniboob, you're close. The powerhead itself does not need the certification, submerged or not. This is because the powerhead operates at 24V which falls below the 100V requirement.

It's the Class 2 power supply (the "Wall Wart", AC/DC converter) that needs the certification.

I have yet to see anyone produce a shred of information that confirms that the certification is faked. There's alot of "I've heard" and "I know for a fact", but no-one is producing a credible source...
Ok here's a picture of the power AC/DC converter that came with my Jebao wp25 wavemaker, also on the side of the converter there is a slide switch to choose the DC voltage. Better start getting rid of all your lap-tops & monitors LOL!! I'm sure there's millions of these out there.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:54 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

I'm still getting out of this hobby. It's all a death trap.... Who ever thought mixing water and electricity would carry so many risks...Brad if you're ever out this way I would like to contract you for a little basement reno I have being mulling about.

Last edited by jorjef; 11-05-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:59 PM

Jeff000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniboob View Post
I think because it is being submerged in water/around hazardous environment makes them NEED to have certification.

From ESA site:

The OESC Rule 2-022(3) (c) specifies some exceptions to electrical product approval requirements. Electrical equipment does not require approval if it connected to the load side of an approved Class 2 power supply whose power output does not exceed 100 V
This. The fact that it's plugged in is what makes it OK.

Insurance will still cover you, they cover if your cigarette burns your house down.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:01 PM

warriorcookie is on a distinguished road

Ya, I also checked the UL Online Certifications Directory. The manufacture listed on the AC/DC adapter (Shenzhen Borasen Technology) shows no results. Jebao does come up with multiple certificates, but all are older and none list WP25, WP40, etc...

I intend to continue using mine, but I'll be replacing my AC/DC adapters with ones that have a legitimate UL certification.

As far as DIY LED's:
Quote:
The OESC Rule 2-022(3) (c) specifies some exceptions to electrical product approval requirements. Electrical equipment does not require approval if it connected to the load side of an approved Class 2 power supply whose power output does not exceed 100 V
So, the voltage between the driver and the LED's most times is below 100v. But the mains voltage to the driver most certainly is above. Check your drivers, there should be a certificate stamped there too.

Switches for ATO's are below the 100V as well.

On a side note, some of my USB wall chargers have the UL stamp, but many of the random ones I have do not...