Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-07-2008, 05:54 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Hello Bassman! I just stumbled upon this thread and read it start to finish. You've got some pretty cool ideas; I really like the dry moat. I've seen a hardwood floor or two just destroyed by a fish tank flood so that could be a real lifesaver. Will you be allowing people to drop by and check out this creation when its finished? I know I'd take the trip from Prince George to see it sometime.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 AM

bassman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Hello Bassman! I just stumbled upon this thread and read it start to finish. You've got some pretty cool ideas; I really like the dry moat. I've seen a hardwood floor or two just destroyed by a fish tank flood so that could be a real lifesaver. Will you be allowing people to drop by and check out this creation when its finished? I know I'd take the trip from Prince George to see it sometime.
Thanks so much. I like the moat too, hopefully I will never have to use it.

Oh yes, for sure. You can come over anytime. I just started assembling the new tank yesterday. :-) It won't be long now.

Just let me know next time you are heading through town.

230 mixed reef / 230 gal sump/fuge
Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

No progress pics?

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 08-23-2008, 01:13 AM

, I built the tank last week and still doing some finishing touches. However, my wife had our camera with her on vacation with some friends so I was unable to take pics of the build process. Which sucks because I put a ton of work into covering all the glass with paper and having removable tape strips around the edges to give my silicone a straight edge.

I will snap some pics tonight of the finished tank. Everything went very smoothly and I am planning to water test it later this weekend or early next week.Then she's coming in the house!

Old 09-13-2008, 02:30 PM

First I would like to apologize for the delay and lack of detailed picks, things have been very hectic in my life lately. That, and the next time I pick up my camera to use it and the batteries are dead I will backing over it with my truck!!! Seriously that thing is a pce of junk! LOL

Anyhoo, it was a nail biter as this was my first build but I pulled it off without any damage or scratches. :-)

Here she sits.

Due to the nature of how I got this tank and lack of time I had, I had to copy the design of another one. So I ended up with the drain holes in the bottom rear corners, which I didn't like. I didn't want corner overflow boxes.
The tank I was dreaming about had a coast to coast overflow. I also didn't have any glass to build the overflow boxes with and I couldn't find anything out here with a resonable price tag.

So I was trying to figure out a way to make a better overflow system. Something I could hide easier and that wouldn't take up so much real estate in the tank.

I decided to use PVC eave trough and run 1.5" flex hose up the back of the tank to the eave.

Like so.

Here it is painted.

I then filled it up with the water from my sump and added the rock also from my sump.

Here is day 1

Now the crappy part.

The next day most of my corals looked pretty much dead! All my SPS are bleached and show little polyp extension, if any.

One of my large xenias literally melted with in 1 day! As you can imagine I am not very happy.

None of my fish or inverts show any signs of stress or anything like that. My two anemones seem fine too, maybe not as large as usual but not wilted looking or anything.

I have no idea what I did, or didn't do. The only thing I can think of is that due to all my corals being disturbed when I was moving them to the new tank they all released toxins at once, filling the new tank with them.

Due to the fact that I didn't have 230 gallons of RO water laying around and it takes me about 5 days to make it I had no choice but to let them sit in the slurry. I added filtration and carbon right away but it doesn't seem to have helped much.

It's been six days since this happened and my new water is ALMOST ready! Maybe one more full day.

Most of my corals are showing signs of improvement but a couple look to me to be beyond repair.

I am sure most will come back to life and all will be fine, in time.

I will post some more picks once everything is running and the rocks are arranged properly.

Oh here is one of the sump plumbing in the basement.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:03 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

The gutter overflow idea is interesting. I've been trying to come up with a different overflow box for my own tank and I think that might work for me as well. What is the black paint you used?

If you cant find any in Quesnel, next time you're in PG drop in and I'll hook you up with some free xenia.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 09-13-2008, 06:11 PM

I used that Krylon paint from Crappy Tire, works good, dries fast.

Glad to hear the overflow may work for you, I am looking forward to seeing it in action. Hopefully tonight or 1st thing tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer on the Xenia, I appreciate it. If need be I may take you up on the offer. :-) Things are looking a "tad" better today, nothing exciting though.