Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Wicked Frags

Old 09-06-2009, 12:48 AM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

ummmm, ya start a thread with some pics of those!!!!! Would love to se what thehy looked like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
I had to sell a foot wide lyng sy, a salmon orange with white polyps and a blood red...all a foot wide and spiralling beautifully...they took the whole tank
Agreed - a nice problem to have when your really nice corals frow too fast.........wish I had that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Umm, can't you just keep pruning and cutting it back to maintain the size of the colony that you want?? Hehe. You don't have to keep a 6 inch colony. If you only want a 3 inch colony just keep fragging it! That's like, uh, grass grows too tall so I'm not going to grow any.. Or you can cut your grass to the length you want :-). (just sayin)
Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 AM

care requirements added to the first post - any questions please post here or PM me. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:00 AM

JPotter is on a distinguished road

The idea of an auction is fun. I am surprised by 2 things: (1) how to date so few people have joined in and (2) how high the bidding started..like a high reserve, then the fun of interaction with small raises which seems to have been shut down at the moment by a bid of 375$. Perhaps someone out there is just waiting to put down the 500$ bid! I also found it interesting that some didn't bid due to lack of available realestate for the large % of encrusting frags yet the highest bid to date is by a member who sites their interest as nano. Are these frags rare/valueable enough that people purchase for resale rather than personal enjoyment.
If one were to place an order for equivalent frags what would the up front value before shipping be? Is it the more sought after pieces that have some people moving the bidding up or what?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 PM

Pleased to hear members still find the auctions enjoyable. And I agree - there appears to be a little different strategy in this auction!

Regarding your two points - I think point 2 is a function of point 1, due to the price. That being said - I would not be suprised if there are additional bids. If you look at the other auctions I have held (in my vendor forum) you will see that historically more people are involved and the bids progress more slowly.

My thoughts on the frag pack - well it would take many hours and many years to collect these pieces individually and you would be paying a fair/high price individually for most of them. Depending on the quality of your location and proximity to your LFS's, your may never get your hand son them. The winner gets them here all at one time from a reputable seller (hence the number of repeat customers bidding, including the current high bidder).

If you do not have a sunset monti in your SPS collection, well you really need one. This will be the brightest SPS coral in your tank hands down. Similarily, the fuchsia is the most unusual SPS I have ever owened and is a beauty. First time avaialable online in Canada - and this coral is not widely owned. The pink polp cap, undata and cyphastrea....all very beautiful and collectible pieces. I would not speculate on why people would buy them - ideally they will be grown out and fragged by others in the future.

As people have asked in previous auctions about the non-auction costs are for the corals (and the shipping) below is a guildeline:

Frags
Sunset monti $110 (if you can find a one)
Firefighter Fuchsia $150 (price at the LFS when they get a couple from the owner of the parent colony)
WF Pink Polyp Cap $70
WF Undata $65
WF Big Red Monti $30
Multi-Austera $45
Blue-green monti $30
WF MS Cyphastrea $60
Corals: $560

Shipping
(11lb 12x12x12 size container) $60-$85
Insulated shipping container $14
Heat pacs $4
Shipping Costs $79-$104

And yes - it is the sought after pieces that have some people moving the bidding. I know I would personally pay more than the current bid for the frags illustrated shipped to my front door.

I will add a couple more pieces to the auction tonight and will of course be throwing in some quality freebies to fill the box. Post up any additional questions or send me a PM. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPotter View Post
The idea of an auction is fun. I am surprised by 2 things: (1) how to date so few people have joined in and (2) how high the bidding started..like a high reserve, then the fun of interaction with small raises which seems to have been shut down at the moment by a bid of 375$. Perhaps someone out there is just waiting to put down the 500$ bid! I also found it interesting that some didn't bid due to lack of available realestate for the large % of encrusting frags yet the highest bid to date is by a member who sites their interest as nano. Are these frags rare/valueable enough that people purchase for resale rather than personal enjoyment.
If one were to place an order for equivalent frags what would the up front value before shipping be? Is it the more sought after pieces that have some people moving the bidding up or what?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:09 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opusone View Post
$375.00
Still the highest bid?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:23 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

I think a person has a right to bid whatever they want. Having said that, the fun of an auction is in fact bidding in increments. The reality is that a person might have gotten this package cheaper( no disrerspect to the retail value of the package) if it had been incremental. I suspect the person who had set the intial bid wanted it very much and probably will slam it at the close of the auction.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Let's take this thread back to being an auction for some great corals and not about the ethics of bidding!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:34 PM

Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
Still the highest bid?
That being said - someone who has not even bid yet could easily place the winning bid tomorrow. Snipe it at the last minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer View Post
I think a person has a right to bid whatever they want. Having said that, the fun of an auction is in fact bidding in increments. The reality is that a person might have gotten this package cheaper( no disrerspect to the retail value of the package) if it had been incremental. I suspect the person who had set the intial bid wanted it very much and probably will slam it at the close of the auction.
Agreed (was a free bump though ) I will post some pics of the stuff to be added to the pack tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
Let's take this thread back to being an auction for some great corals and not about the ethics of bidding!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:09 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

376!

What do you consider "moderate" flow?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:25 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer View Post
... I suspect the person who had set the intial bid wanted it very much and probably will slam it at the close of the auction.

Who me?

Actually I just like to stir things up a bit

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252