Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-20-2011, 12:23 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

I think you also have to factor in the variability of the hobby as well. There are so many ways to do so many things that it's impossible to come up with a tried and true solution for everyone. As a novice the method I researched may not be the method the employee has been taught. The employee has mostly been trained ( I’m sure ) to offer up solutions according the material stocked on the shelves. While it might not be the overall best solution to the issue at hand it's not necessarily wrong.

We all have to at the very least remember that this is a business designed and built to make money. The general public may put too much faith in the employee. Case in point how many people would take the word of a used car salesman saying this car was only driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays. It happens sure, but I bet it's far less than the people walking in to buy a tank and a clown fish the first day. As mentioned above the buyer needs to be educated as well as the employee.

I ( and I'm sure everyone here ) use those big box stores. I really like the guys at my small LFS and enjoy talking with them, but let’s be honest sometimes it's nice to run into the big box store grab what you need off the shelf and take off, in and out in 2.3 minutes. There is a place for them.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:05 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

so manager hears the employee telling the customer 'since you just setup your tank, come back in a month and I might sell you something then', wondering if employee still has a job?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

A lot of the smaller stores will sell crap to stupid people. Not everybody who buys at the small stores is getting super healthy fish and a great deal - and the opposite can be said for the big box stores. Not all the stuff they have is crap and over priced.

If you don't know what you're looking for, no matter where you go, you won't be getting what you want - it's not the LFS employee's job to fully educate each and every joe schmuck that comes through the door on every product they want to purchase; they just work there.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:43 PM

amoreira is on a distinguished road

There's always pressure on the LFS employee to be the "expert" - all in the interest of customer service. Good employers should tell their employees that honesty is the best policy. I'd appreciate it as a customer. I'd appreciate employers that encourage their employees to learn something about the hobby too. I suspect in a big box store, during off hours there's lots of opportunities for staff to read a book on it (say one of the Two Little Fishies books) or surf the web for information. They want to retain staff? Make the job interesting and pay better.

Maybe the type of customer that these stores get doesn't warrant knowledgable staff. I think the type that go there wouldn't be inclined to invest the $ or time to do it right. They stock up the tank, it crashes and they sell it in a garage sale or kjijji. Ultimately, perhaps we need regulation of the industry. You need a CITES permit to export livestock. This is in interest of protecting the species... Why don't we license hobbyists and LFS's? Take a certification course, pay a fee and get your license. Just some random thoughts on the subject. Might save a few clownfish from doom.
180 gal tank, 50 gal sump, PM RFCa6 Ca Reactor, SWC Extreme 250 1A Cone Skimmer, Tunz Osmolator ATOF, Aquacontroller Apex, Aquaillumination Sol Super Blue 6 x 75w Units, Acros/Softies/LPS/Mushrooms/Zoos, Purple/Powder Blue/Yellow Tang/3xBlue Chromis/2xTomato Clown/Lawnmower Blenny
Old 09-20-2011, 02:53 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

[quote= Ultimately, perhaps we need regulation of the industry. You need a CITES permit to export livestock. This is in interest of protecting the species... Why don't we license hobbyists and LFS's? Take a certification course, pay a fee and get your license. Just some random thoughts on the subject. Might save a few clownfish from doom.[/quote]

id like to know whos going to pay for this course?? this happens you can say goodbye to the little lfs and all you will get is big box stores that now hire teenagers still who have done a course but are still told to sell sell sell

its not that difficult people.....research what you buy.....how many business's are gonna go educate people and read books in their off times? not many....you buy smokes you think the clerk is gonna tell you the bad stuff? you buy deep fryer fat you think the grocery store cares? walmart and buying bullets or a gun and how its wrong to hunt?? sometimes people just dont want to be told what to do its up to us this for just about every type of business

grow up were not 4 yrs old then its mom responsibilitie, buy what you like when you like take responsibilitie for your own purchases
Old 09-20-2011, 03:16 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I have been to LFS' where the owner did not know the answer to some of my questions. I know, ZOMG right?!?!?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:07 PM

bignose is on a distinguished road

It should be a priority for store owners/mangers to have a quality control program which should include training. The store should have someone with adequate training for the group of employees to learn from from. A customer will most likely come back to a store that is honest to them.

I'm not saying the stores are responsible for uneducated customer purchases but someone should lead them in the proper path to what they want in their tank.

From my personal experience with "big box" stores is they DO have educated staff but not all of them.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Phantom View Post
The salesperson says he will need it to balance the system and with the right additives he should be able to put his fish in the tank in about 3 days.
To be fair, this is not entirely incorrect... Just throwing it out there.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:39 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I have been to LFS' where the owner did not know the answer to some of my questions. I know, ZOMG right?!?!?
Nothing wrong with that, as long as they are honest and state they don't but will help you find the answer. I have much more respect for any store that operates this way. Noboday can know everything, just not possible!

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 09-20-2011, 06:31 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Most people into reef keeping seriously aren't the type to work a $10-15/hr job at an LFS. Albeit many/most(?) of the box stores do have some really good benefit plans and RRSP contributions. If LFS were able to pay $20-25/hr there would be many more "experts" working there. The market won't support that wage though. I'm not working anymore, but I would go work part-time at an LFS for $20/hr plus benefits and RRSPs and I would actually enjoy the job!

SPS fanatic.