Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-20-2009, 05:36 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Its ok Tony. I edited your post to make it sound not so harsh.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:37 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Thanks buddy. Er, I mean, giggle giggle thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 06:33 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

So, If I were to get a couple Aqualifters, what do I do with them?? LOL Kalc? or? So far Ive just used ChemMaster's crystals for my CA/Mg

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
So, If I were to get a couple Aqualifters, what do I do with them?? LOL Kalc? or? So far Ive just used ChemMaster's crystals for my CA/Mg
You can use them to dose 2 part. Use 1/4" tubing and a 1/4" valve to control the drip rate. Then figure out how much you want to have dosed in a minute (unless you can find a timer that will do seconds). If you find one that does seconds, you probably don't need the valve. Once your dosing enough two part, you wouldn't need the valve anymore either.

Basically what I did today was run it with just water for 1 minute into a small measuring container, adjusting the valve until it puts out the amount I want in that minute. Got it to xx ml per minute and will have it turn on every 2 hours to dose this small amount throughout the day. Alternating alk and ca. So one hour is alk and then the next is ca.

I would be really careful with these pumps though and check them every once in a while. I use one for my ATO and it sometimes doesn't turn on when its suppose to.

They are not designed to do this really but we'll see how it goes.

They are great for a cheap ATO. Just need to get a float, splice the wires into one side of the aqualifter power cord. When the float drops to the bottom, it restores the circuit and turns the pump on, once the float rises, the pump shuts off. Im sure most people here know this but for those who don't (I heard ATO being mentioned before). It cost about $25 to do.

I wouldn't use the aqualifter for Kalk...I think it would clog up pretty fast. Even with two part, I would imagine the pump needs to be cleaned out with vinegar a few times a year to keep it running properly.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 11-20-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I'm worried about the clogging myself.

Pumping a few jugs is pretty easy. At least you know it gets done each day. You could devise rings to go under the plunger that corresponds to how much fluid you need? They stop the pump from being full stroke if need be.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I thought you'd probably want a couple pump strokes per addition? In which case it's more just counting the times rather than stopping it from full stroke?

With the Aqualifters for me about 6 months in, I find I haven't had any issues with the pump clogging, but my alk drippers in particular are gummed up. So the pump itself seems fine but I need to clean the valves up. The calcium ones seem totally fine.

I imagine that over time though that the pump would lose its ... um .. I don't know what word I'm looking for here. Vitality? They look just like air pumps to me. And air pumps just seem to weaken over time so I'm thinking the same thing will happen sooner or later.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Yeah I'm worried about the clogging myself.

Pumping a few jugs is pretty easy. At least you know it gets done each day. You could devise rings to go under the plunger that corresponds to how much fluid you need? They stop the pump from being full stroke if need be.
What is this "pumping of jugs" you speak of?
Old 11-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Maybe you're not old enough to understand 2-part dosing Justin =)
Old 11-20-2009, 07:55 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
You can use them to dose 2 part. Use 1/4" tubing and a 1/4" valve to control the drip rate. Then figure out how much you want to have dosed in a minute (unless you can find a timer that will do seconds). If you find one that does seconds, you probably don't need the valve. Once your dosing enough two part, you wouldn't need the valve anymore either.

Basically what I did today was run it with just water for 1 minute into a small measuring container, adjusting the valve until it puts out the amount I want in that minute. Got it to xx ml per minute and will have it turn on every 2 hours to dose this small amount throughout the day. Alternating alk and ca. So one hour is alk and then the next is ca.

I would be really careful with these pumps though and check them every once in a while. I use one for my ATO and it sometimes doesn't turn on when its suppose to.

They are not designed to do this really but we'll see how it goes.

They are great for a cheap ATO. Just need to get a float, splice the wires into one side of the aqualifter power cord. When the float drops to the bottom, it restores the circuit and turns the pump on, once the float rises, the pump shuts off. Im sure most people here know this but for those who don't (I heard ATO being mentioned before). It cost about $25 to do.

I wouldn't use the aqualifter for Kalk...I think it would clog up pretty fast. Even with two part, I would imagine the pump needs to be cleaned out with vinegar a few times a year to keep it running properly.

OK, Thx, I got timers that can run Miliseconds

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 11-20-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
OK, Thx, I got timers that can run Miliseconds
That's great then. Makes everything even easier and less chance for things to clog or go wrong.

Can I ask where you got them?