Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-19-2009, 09:31 PM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road
Default Plumbing 101 - Sump to Tank *EDITED*

How does it really all work? First off, I know nothing about plumbing. Your going to laugh... but I even had to google pictures of gate valve, check valves, true union, t fittings, etc, so I would know what the heck I was looking for in the store.

My tank currently has two, 1 1/2 inch holes drilled in the overflow, then on the top of the tank running down the top pane of glass is two 1 inch holes on each corner (for the return pipe in the tank)

Then the sump I got made... Has two holes where they put filter socks. There is only one baffle setup in the middle of the sump with a 1 1/2" hole through it. What the heck for? I asked the builder, he said its to put a valve to control the skimmer water feed onto the other side.

I am running a external drive (Mag 18) then T off to have two return lines coming up the side of the external overflow box and run into each hole on top of tank.

These are the supplies we got so far:

$200.00 bucks later for just these supplies! Wowzers!

Brand new 18 Mag Drive $100.00 (Thanks to Brent)

This is a drawing of what were kinda thinking of doing.. Need your thoughts on it.

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Last edited by bulletsworld; 10-16-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:51 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Wow Lee you are going to have your tank up before Tony has his 280 gal tank up and Tony started like 12 months ago.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:46 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

"Yes, Lee is a girl not a guy, SURPRISE!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post

When did this happen??
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post

Congrats on the being a girl thing. Everything's changing eh?!
Well now that we've got that straighten out.....

Congrats on the thread Looks good so far. As for plumbing advice, just suck up to Steve and let him figure it out for you After plumbing and re-plumbing our tanks a few times, he seems to know what he's doing and he's gotten pretty good at it. Just give us a call (or convince him to take a 3 hour ride on his motorcycle ) and Steve should be able to help you.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:52 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Theres some fairly detailed pics of my plumbing layout here. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40669 . Pm me if you have any questions....Id be happy to help.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 08-24-2009, 06:15 PM

K... I'm back from the Okanagan & ready to work on tank again. Just a side note.. I can't believe how little & how expensive saltwater fish & supplies are in B.C (Pentiction, Kelowna, Salmon Arms, Kamloops) If I had another three hours I would have gone to Vancouver.

K... on to plumbing: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55212

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Last edited by bulletsworld; 08-24-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:26 AM

andestang is on a distinguished road

Been watching for updates..... Also wondering in your tank came with polished edges.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Looks Great Lee!!!

Can wait for more updates

J
Old 09-17-2009, 01:41 AM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

How about some pictures of the back of your tank and how you plan on rreturning the water back to the tank from the sump (including anything you will be using for random water movement, wavy sea, sea swirl etc.). Ideally - pick the most simple route minimizing the length of pipe and number of elbows (both 90s and 45s).

Will you be incorporating a closed loop system?

A good tip - ALWAYS cut the pipe to length and set it in place before you glue. Mark the angles and depth of the angles (on the 45/90/T/valve) with a permanent marker so you don't end up with too much or too little pipe.

Also - with such a beautiful tank, and such a large tank...perhaps reconsider that Mag pump. Known to use too much electricity, run really hot and be unreliable. Perhaps a little external pump? Used perhaps?

I share your dogs expression about the design of that sump That being said I think you will be able to make it work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsworld View Post
How does it really all work? We got a diagram written out from a friend & each person we talked to has a completely different way of doing plumbing. HELP!

First off, I know nothing about plumbing. Your going to laugh... but I even had to google pictures of gate valve, check valves, true union, t fittings, etc, so I would know what the heck I was looking for in the store.

My tank currently has two, 1 1/2 inch holes drilled in the overflow, then on the top of the tank running down the top pane of glass is two 1 inch holes on each corner (for the return pipe in the tank)

Then the sump I got made... Has two holes where they put filter socks. There is only one baffle setup in the middle of the sump with a 1 1/2" hole through it. What the heck for? I asked the builder, he said its to put a valve to control the skimmer water feed onto the other side? huh?

Also, since I have one internal drive (Mag 18) is it bad to run a pipe up from the Mag18, then T off to have two return lines coming up the side of the external overflow box and run into each hole on top of tank?

Looking for your thoughts, tips or advice on plumbing. HELP!

Tonight we will pickup the pipe. These are the supplies we got so far:

$200.00 bucks later for just these supplies! Wowzers!

Brand new 18 Mag Drive $100.00 (Thanks to Brent)

This is a drawing of what were kinda thinking of doing.. Need your thoughts on it.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback and comments everyone.

Sorry I have not been updating this. The thread is in NEED of a serious update, as the tank has been plumbed, filled with water, added sand & rock already and cycling for over a month now. Hehe I will update when I'm back from San Diego.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:23 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

OK Lee where are the pictures at , how long do you keep us in the closet with this light off.

PICTURES PLEASE