Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Old 01-20-2010, 04:11 AM

Chase31 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yup. That was exactly what I was thinking about when I first read this thread:

http://www.koicarp.net/filtration/pr...an_sander.html
Performance is defendant on:

Salinity

you still have to add salt to your tank but not as much, i have some in my freshwater as it keeps stress down
Old 01-20-2010, 04:46 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

from reading andrew's link the water has to be brackish or salt water. so unless you are adding somthing to the water to increase the surface tension I can't see a skimmer working.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:05 AM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Short answer: You can and you can't ..

Slightly longer answer: Generally speaking, you can't, you just won't get adequate foam fractionation (for the reasons stated above). However that said, there does seem to be such thing as a FW skimmer, think they are run on ponds in areas where the water is so insanely hard that basically you can get foam production.
All a pond skimmer does is clean up the surface of leaves and other debris before they sink to the bottom and decay. No foam or skimmate are produced.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:33 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAX View Post
All a pond skimmer does is clean up the surface of leaves and other debris before they sink to the bottom and decay. No foam or skimmate are produced.
Umm did you click on this link posted above: http://www.koicarp.net/filtration/pr...an_sander.html ?

You may want to go back and do that.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 02-02-2010, 02:35 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

^^^ What he said (thanks Canadian)
Old 02-02-2010, 02:59 AM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

That's not your "typical" pond skimmer and not the one I was talking about.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:18 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
Totally disagree here young fella, all the time when I clean my skimmer's i use fresh water and vineger to clean, it will make super tiny bubbles and clean your skimmer unbelieveably clean. addd some more vineger and watch the skimmer go crazy.

x2!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:38 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Fair enough But FWIW it IS the one *I* was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAX View Post
That's not your "typical" pond skimmer and not the one I was talking about.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:34 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
Totally disagree here young fella, all the time when I clean my skimmer's i use fresh water and vineger to clean, it will make super tiny bubbles and clean your skimmer unbelieveably clean. addd some more vineger and watch the skimmer go crazy.
I disagree with you there young fellow.. the bubbles you get with vinager are totaly different than salt water.. the bubbles from vinager are short lived and low surface tension, and what they are doing is imploding along the sides of your skimmer because they cannot maintain the bubble. this implosion is the same as cavatation and causes little tiny pits in the size of the skimmer scale, hence cleaning it. but this cleaning action is two fold.. first you have the implosions knocking the scale off the sides, then you have the acidic power of the mixture desolving it. it goes crazy when ou add more vinager as it start fizzing (just like when you have a viniger water mix they you cleaned a lot of pumps with so it is saturated with Ca and you add more viniger to that.. fizzes right up.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:59 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I'm confused? What's the purpose of this skimmer? I get using one for a large pond but as far as aquariums go isn't water cheap enough to easily do large water changes to reduce nutrients? The cost of the skimmer and the power it uses will never pay for itself or be as efficient as simply changing water.

There's a reason these are used in SW and not FW.