Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-02-2010, 12:42 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
Do you use SeaChem?
no I dont personally use seachem (H2Ocean is my flavor).....I merely suggested seachem because as I said it is distributed locally so there should be any availability issues for you with that brand.....lots of peeps have lots of opinions about what salt is "best".... I just assumed that because of the sheer massiveness of your system that a "high end" brand wouldnt be on your radar.....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 11-05-2010, 06:16 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I think my radar is broken....I think what I'm going to do is just buy whats cheap and has a relatively untained recent history and use that to cycle the tank. After that I don't know...I know what I've liked in the past and I know what I definitely didn't care for. I'll just have to come see you one weekend and we can make a pallet deal or something.

We're just waiting on final drawings now. The deposit is paid, and once we sign off on the drawings its just a waiting game. I'm DYING for this tank to be in place. I can now picture the tank in place and chugging along, full of tangs, clams and SPS!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:32 PM

Hawkaholic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm DYING for this tank to be in place. I can now picture the tank in place and chugging along, full of tangs, clams and SPS!
So are the rest of us..
Old 11-07-2010, 04:07 PM

I think I'm going to try out this Aqua-Vitro salt and see how it goes. It sounds extremely appealing for my needs, so I figure why not?

Anyways a little bit more progress has been made on the build!

First a shelf was made in the fish room for the leg tank. Below will be the final home of the RO/DI, along with some storage space for additional salt and some bigger supplies. For perspective purposes I'm standing in the doorway, at my right is the utility sink, and to the left is the back of the tank.

Temporary home of the RO/DI. Eventually all the walls will be replaced by blue board, poly-ied, painted with heavy duty paint, and sealed.

Good old solenoid doing its job.

The pump still needs to be installed, but you get the idea of how the initial plumbing from the leg tank will work.

The start of blue boarding.

Full tank shot for November

One with the cardboard removed

You can see where the leg tank sits in relation to the display
Old 11-07-2010, 05:01 PM

Hawkaholic is on a distinguished road

Looks like its coming along pretty ok. I myself am considering using aqua-vitro salt. A reefer friend of mine bought a pail and his tests weren't even close as what it showed on the pail. It was only his first batch so maybe it gets better further down the pail. Just figured I'd let ya know,
Old 11-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Wow you guys have done a lot looks great!

What's going through that solenoid? Is that an orbits sprinkler job? Is there any difference between that and the ones the reef-type diy sites sell? Not sure what metal insides and ro/di water will do just curious. Great idea.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Wow you guys have done a lot looks great!

What's going through that solenoid? Is that an orbits sprinkler job? Is there any difference between that and the ones the reef-type diy sites sell? Not sure what metal insides and ro/di water will do just curious. Great idea.
Yup, its just a Orbit's sprinkler piece. Its all PVC I believe, no metal. Its been working well so far for us.

This weekend we OKed the final drawings of both the sump and tank! I also got most of the basement cleaned out. I think I have one more dump run, and then some cleaning to do, then painting, and finally pick up some plywood for the tank stand. Its going to be a busy month in our house.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Its going to be a busy month in our house.
Oh you poor thing We're not going to feel any pity... not when Tibet's coming home soon.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:14 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Wow....impressive build.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
may be its was the 100 gal water change too Park
I've done frequent 100 gallon water changes in the past so I'm not sure. I'm mearly basing my opinion on what I've seen in my tank. After one water change with different salt things improved greatly. Would the same dramatic change have happend by going from Seachem to IO? I don't know, I would only be speculating.