Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 02-07-2009, 04:00 AM

supersmile is on a distinguished road

Does it always foam into the collection cup or does it sometimes go right down???
Old 02-07-2009, 04:14 AM

o.c.d. is on a distinguished road

Do you mean ? The foam, your asking if it is always foaming? No it will stop for small amounts of time. When I have an additive (chemi clean) it goes nuts for about three days none stop big bubbles I'd have to dump the cup every min or two. That would be why I modded the unit, I actually add the turbofloater 1000 and run both. Does that answer your question?
Old 02-07-2009, 04:31 PM

supersmile is on a distinguished road

Well I have the air full at 12 o'clock and my cup is far down and there is no foaming action in the cup????? That seems not right to me because my previous skimmers foamed all the time. Also when it was foaming the foam was never brown looking it was just a clear foam???

Last edited by supersmile; 02-07-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:31 PM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmile View Post
I have never used an ro/di unit swith previous skimmers that worked fine so why would I have to use it with the "best skimmer"? Doesn't really make sense???? Would a tap water filter work OK???? This is so frustrating........
Think about it... a better skimmer should be more efficient or better at pulling DOCs out of the water. Otherwise, why would it be better? If Coralife skimmers worked as well as Deltec skimmers, I would think D-D would be out of business. So, when upgrading to the much more efficient Deltec, you made a change where you can now pull more and possibly different DOCs out of the water, DOCs that your old skimmer didn't have access too for whatever reason.

Try hooking a skimmer up to a tub of your tap water, I guarantee that skimmer can pull something out of the regular tapwater before it even goes into the tank. I watched someone do this in Saskatoon and was disgusted by what the skimmer pulled out of plain tap water.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:30 AM

0sprey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmile View Post
Well I have the air full at 12 o'clock and my cup is far down and there is no foaming action in the cup????? That seems not right to me because my previous skimmers foamed all the time. Also when it was foaming the foam was never brown looking it was just a clear foam???
It skims best in-between, not when it's open full. Close it. Then when you open it, it will get a little loud. Keep opening it little by little until it quiets down a bit- that's the 'sweet spot', the place where you'll pull the best foam.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Could someone please tell me how to remove the pump for cleaning?

Does the media holder inner plate thingy need to be used if no media is used, so I can put my heater in there?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2009, 09:17 PM

0sprey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Could someone please tell me how to remove the pump for cleaning?
Just slide it to the left, then pull it straight up. If it gives you grief while you're restarting the pump, you'll need to play with how far you push it onto the fitting.
I never actually bother with rinsing my pump... lol. I do drip warm water down the air valve once every couple of weeks, though.

Quote:
Does the media holder inner plate thingy need to be used if no media is used, so I can put my heater in there?

Thanks
I always thought that was there just to keep the media from floating upwards and blocking the outflow.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Rest In Peace

Thanks.

Mike, the fixer upper guy, , figured it out. All cleaned up and repaired. Now I owe him, but he,s going away again soon, so will take care of his tank.

Its actually a fair sized skimmer.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Rest In Peace

Does the degassing plate do its job? Mine came without one and we are thinking of building it. I seen a thread where some said they just removed them? Or perhaps just using a couple 90 degree elbows?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Rest In Peace

^