Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-17-2008, 06:35 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitesurfer View Post
So big and nice =D
I hear that all the time.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 06-20-2008, 07:58 PM

Update:

My Gigantea apparently LOVES the wavemaker/pulse setting on my Vortech. It had retracted somewhat, I thought perhaps due to the flow. So I have tried a few different settings and wow....it's opened up again fully and beautifully. It also continues to darken. I'll get a video later....if anyone's still interested, lol.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 06-20-2008, 08:48 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Sorry, not owning a Vortech I get confused with the setting names all the time. So before it was on "Reef Crest Random" and now it's "Wavemaker Pulse" ? Does that imply a more woosh-pause-woosh-pause-woosh-pause type effect whereas before it was just "zip zap wooshity woosh"?

Can't wait to see the new pics/vids
Old 06-20-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Sorry, not owning a Vortech I get confused with the setting names all the time. So before it was on "Reef Crest Random" and now it's "Wavemaker Pulse" ? Does that imply a more woosh-pause-woosh-pause-woosh-pause type effect whereas before it was just "zip zap wooshity woosh"?

Can't wait to see the new pics/vids
LOL. Tony, I always appreciate your descriptives But yes...more of a "woosh-pause-woosh-pause-woosh-pause" instead of "zip zap wooshity woosh"!

New Video....I hope everyone likes Radiohead:

Old 06-20-2008, 09:37 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Seems like it's darkening up more? It looks almost green now? Or is that just how it picked up in the camera?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:57 PM

Update: the Gigantea moved during the night! Not a lot...only a matter of 2 inches or so. But strange, perhaps? Its new position places it in less of a folded up position and more open like lots of the other Giganteas I've seen. Perhaps I'll try to get a video later.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:49 AM

They do shift around from time to time, 2" is just making itself comfortable if you ask me.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:42 PM

I do hope so, Tony. It's definitely doing something different, though. It retracted QUITE a bit during the night....and it's bunched up quite tightly.

Question: how much do you feed your gigantea? How often, what and how much? I haven't been feeding mine very much, but have fed it sporadically. The clownfish also grabs chunks of mysis and shoves it into the anemone sometimes during feeding time. I don't observe if the anemone actually ingests it, though.

Now I'm stressed!!!

Old 07-12-2008, 05:42 PM

I feed mine a squirt of mysis every day or two. Like maybe 12-20 actual individual mysids. I have to feed mysis every day for my CBB since that's the only food he eats and I'd prefer him not to starve. So I take a package of PE mysis, lay it out on a glass cutting board, and slice and dice until the whole thing is in 1cm squares or thereabouts. I then take one of these 1cm cubes and that's the daily mysis allotment for all my tanks, with about half reserved for the CBB (he knows that when I come with the turkey baster that I've got something for him - he has a spot he goes to and waits for me to shoot a couple mysids at a time for him). But yeah, basically, unless I run out the gigantea's get at least one squirt of mysis per day.

I've kind of held the view (in general, not just with these things) that smaller feedings more often is probably mimics the natural cycle a little better than one generous feeding less often. YMMV of course
Old 07-12-2008, 07:13 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

so yours is doing ok in a bare bottom tank?