Old 09-15-2013, 04:25 PM

Seth81 is on a distinguished road

She? Ouch! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.ald View Post
^^what she said
Old 09-15-2013, 06:24 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Crossfit is good but depends on your goals. If your goal is mainly functional fitness than crossfit is it. But if you goal is aesthetic (burn fat, gain muscle) or strength than there are better ways to get there IMO.

Quote:
Ha ha ha.... yeah I guess it depends on your picture of the ideal woman.

I did that whole getting bulk thing for a while, protein powders, creaitine and all that jazz... was really good for my football days, but when I played Rugby I recognized the need for developing cardio as well. Since then I try to be balance cardio and weights. However my bulky friends see me doing cardio and they do crack some jokes!
The idea that a women would bulk up or get super muscular lifting weights is ridiculous. The ones that do are on Testosterone. Normal women who lift end up looking more like a bikini/fitness model. They simply dont have the genetics for bulky muscles....they just get toned. Crossfit can do this for women too but I would still say that bodybuilding/lifting could get the results faster because that is the primary goal. Crossfits primary goal is functional fitness.

As far as diet the only way to lose fat is by going on a calorie deficit. The only way to build muscle is to go on a calorie surplus (actually people new to training can loos fat and build muscle at the same time but its a fine line to walk and only lasts so long). Body composition will be determined by this plus your diet breakdown (protein,fat,carbs and micro-nutrients) plus your training.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:25 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

I hope it all goes good for you Myka

I am not a big believer in exercise programs there is no doubt that they are good for a person but for too many people that is an end all be all solution for them plus you have to want to do it joining up is all fine and dandy but if the drive to do it ain't there well you've just wasted a pile of money. Then once the membership or term is up it is up to you to continue the regime and by and far most people let it fall to the wayside.

I was on the verge of being morbidly overweight I was having daily Gout attacks even had trouble tying my workboots up almost even became the stereotypical fat person wearing sweatpants that was the final straw for me. I finally had enough and did my own weight loss I literally stopped eating I went down to a meal a day no snacking and no junk food. I lost 129 lbs in 3 months was it excessive yes but I also needed to do it for myself had 3 gout attacks in last 4 yrs and have maintained my weight at a comfortable lvl. I am still overweight and never have been a skinny person and I suspect I will always have extra baggage but compared to what I did weigh to now being 60 lbs over ideal weight I will take what I have now.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:49 PM

neoh is on a distinguished road

I don't have time to go to any sort of classes or gyms, and I was gaining 5lbs of weight a month since I quit smoking. (replaced cigarettes with eating.)

What I did was started and finished Sean T - Insanity. It's an at home DVD that requires no weights or equipment. It's extremely difficult, but I noticed results pretty fast. And now, I'm doing Focus T-25. Which is 25 minutes a day instead of the 1 hour Insanity workout.

For those of you who are trying to loose weight, and are considering something similar to Crossfit, I would suggest trying Insanity at home - I dare you all to get through the first week!

Sorry, don't mean to hijack, just thought it was relevant. ;D
Old 09-15-2013, 10:26 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I'm not looking for weight loss really - maybe 5 lbs. More for general fitness and shaping. I like the idea of group classes. I can't handle going to a gym and lifting weights...BORING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Sucker for punishment eh Mindy
You betcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano View Post
I love it. Ive lost 65lb since december of last year but have only been doing cross fit for about 3 months now. I come home hurting every time but am building solid muscle mass.
Highly recommend it to anyone.
Awesome, good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I'd say as a woman, you'll likely get in shape. Men can typically die, as egos tend to push harder than the body can follow
That's probably accurate. There does seem to be an injury prevalence. I guess a person needs to know when to say no.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
That's probably accurate. There does seem to be an injury prevalence. I guess a person needs to know when to say no.
Ya, women tend to have more common sense and not injure themselves trying to prove anything. Usually
Old 09-15-2013, 10:40 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Proper form and good trainers go a long way. Hope your CrossFit gym has them.

Good luck Mindy, let us know how you like it.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Ya, women tend to have more common sense and not injure themselves trying to prove anything. Usually
My goal is to improve fitness. Sitting on the couch with a blown knee (or other such thing) would do me quite the opposite. This is always in my mind. I'm not invincible like I used to be.

Oh, and thanks to those who expressed "rah rah rah" for me! I just may need a cheer squad! Thing is, I'm a cheap bastard and I already paid for 4 months of 12x per month classes, so you can bet I will attend all 48 of those classes!

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post
Proper form and good trainers go a long way. Hope your CrossFit gym has them.

Good luck Mindy, let us know how you like it.
Thanks! Yes, good form is very important to me. After my introductory class (where they were picky about my form) I did tell them that form is of utmost importance to me. I picked the more expensive/popular CrossFit gym to go to. Whether that is a popularity contest or because they really are superior - only time will tell.

I hope it works out. I need to blow off some steam. I have more energy than a person should be left alone with.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:55 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

ZOMG I'm tired just reading this thread