Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-28-2010, 05:54 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
For OP, are your corals happy? How is their polyp extension? What kind of corals do you have? Maybe they are just slow growers. Try to find some fast growers, like pink birdsnest or green birdsnest or some digitata and see if they grow at all in your tank.
All but one seem to be happy, keeping their color, polyp extentsion.

Honestly I'm not much for knowing the names of all the corrals I have, but I do know they they are confrimed fast growers as they came out of Dez's tank.

I have:
A couple of Acros
Red Milli
Red Monti Cap
I think a Slimer Stag
Old 07-28-2010, 06:14 PM

Thanks for ALL of the suggestions, it's all valuable information. I'll try the suggestions in a structured manner as not to overwhelm the tank with changes.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
As 6 hours of light may be enough, this will all depend on the quality of the fixture, bulbs and age of things... Maybe try increasing it to 8 hours, and give it a month and see what happens, then maybe 10 hours.

I personally use Ushio 10K bulbs for growth with t5HO actinics and have my lights on for 11 hours with no negative impact and the corals seem happy.

Just another suggestion if you feel other areas are ok.
I'm running PFO Ballasts and reflectors for all three lights. 2 of the bulbs are creeping up on a year old and one is a couple of months old. I started putting corals in when the bulbs were about 2 months old and growth was non existant through the life of the bulbs. I moved all the corals under the bulb that's only a couple of months old when I installed it. No change to date. The two older bulbs are Hamilton's and the newest one is an IceCap
Old 07-28-2010, 06:40 PM

I should also mention I have a VERY low bioload.

3 - Green Chromis
2 - Bangii (sp) Cardinals
Old 07-28-2010, 06:45 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I should also mention I have a VERY low bioload.

3 - Green Chromis
2 - Bangii (sp) Cardinals
Wow that's all? I'm not one to boast about growth but I know fish poop makes for one good coral food. Any other things added to the water for nutrients?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
Wow that's all? I'm not one to boast about growth but I know fish poop makes for one good coral food. Any other things added to the water for nutrients?

Yep, that's all I have the intention of getting more, I just need to find the right fish.

Sorry, I missed the second half of the question, nothing else is being added to the tank.

Last edited by Parker; 07-28-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:22 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

I have a feeling when you find these "right fish" you will also find some coral growth to go along side it.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to hear things have been slow Rob. You were first to the pass with the build so this is a surprise.

I thought I had read if Calcium is too high it can slow growth but I don't know for sure. I had 2 chromis and a blenny so also a low load but much higher compared to volume I guess. Dkh is also 8 and almost all my pieces have shown great growth from what I understand great growth to look like.

Good luck. At least it appears you have some things to try whereas Brad's issue seems to have been more mysterious last I read.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Sorry to hear things have been slow Rob. You were first to the pass with the build so this is a surprise.

I thought I had read if Calcium is too high it can slow growth but I don't know for sure. I had 2 chromis and a blenny so also a low load but much higher compared to volume I guess. Dkh is also 8 and almost all my pieces have shown great growth from what I understand great growth to look like.

Good luck. At least it appears you have some things to try whereas Brad's issue seems to have been more mysterious last I read.

I'm questioning the high Ca value, the smart one in the family is going to test it for me tonight in case I'm reading the instructions incorrectly.

I've gotten through life on my good looks not my intelligence so it wouldn't suprise me if I was doing it wrong!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
You are correct DKH of 8 is fine, just a recommendation on what I have recently done, based on recommendations. It worked for me, so I don't know how it is misinformation, as it is not!!! don't read anything extra to what I or others have said.... It is just info, to do with what one wishes.

Well, I'd be more on the side of 11 over 8 without zeo, I personally think 8 is low. I've always had better results with alk over 10.