Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-24-2011, 03:48 AM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

I know wavebox is the best for me, but as I said about my unluck with Vortech, I also had no luck with Tunze wavebox, big or small ... because Calgary, Alberta, Edmonton ... canreefers prefered to sell for local people first (with a good price too), before me .
Old 01-06-2012, 08:13 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
I have one tunze mounted to the overflow box with the "dry side" magnet submerged ..... cant do that with a vortech
Actually, you can. I saw it done @ Carrera75's house. He cut the top off of a square-ish plastic bottle, put the dryside in the bottle and, with the bottle in the overflow just above the water level, you didn't even know it was there.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:04 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Actually, you can. I saw it done @ Carrera75's house. He cut the top off of a square-ish plastic bottle, put the dryside in the bottle and, with the bottle in the overflow just above the water level, you didn't even know it was there.
hm.....cool idea.......he's got more cajones than me.....I wouldnt take the chance with a $500 pump, but hey, to each his own....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 01-06-2012, 02:22 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Been running two MP40s for a few years now, one for 4, one for 3. They've both been very reliable. The first I bought new just before they changed the wet side magnet to the newer ones (the original Gen 1 had a poor plastic coating & would start rusting after a while). A $10 upgrade kit fixed that. It was still working fine even with a rusty magnet, but who wants that in their water. Anyhow, been running like a champ since then. Second I got slightly used a year later & it's also been running with no issues. Both also came with the 1st Gen wireless drivers, that is, non ES. I upgraded that feature as well a year or so ago when the ES drivers were initially offered at a pretty good discount.

Just relating my own experience here. There are plenty of different experiences with them out there, but they work for me. I've found you need to set them up properly & handle them with a little bit of care. All of the wet side parts are easily user replaceable & generally not that costly, so you should be able to keep any VorTech running for many years. Don't think you'll see that kind of longevity with the average Koralia. Something goes wrong with any of the other pumps & you pretty much have to send the whole unit back. I've snatched up two more used MP40s over the past couple of years, so have them as spares in case I need to service my currently running pumps. Also will come in handy for a tank upgrade. I don't mess with my pumps that much, only clean the wet sides when they really get grunged up bad. Never soaked them in vinegar, just use a toothbrush & scrub in old salt water.

Long story short, VorTech wet sides have not been a problem for me. No experience with Tunze, but from what I've seen on most forums, they're a very good product. Have also read about issues with them as well, however. I prefer the smaller footprint of a VorTech & the fact that there isn't an electrical power cord submerged in the water.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Yes very good point Mike made, less space taken up inside is more space for coral!!

I use to have a wavebox in my tank but it took up lots of room, much happier with the space saving Vortech now.

On a larger tank no big deal as space is not an issue, but with a small 75g space is always an issue....

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-07-2012, 03:39 AM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
dude...
Get a wavebox.

Even the Nano wave box will work in your tank.

Honestly, the motion in your tank is incomparable to anything else once you've had a wavebox, its tough to look at a tank without one.
I've had one for about 6 months now on my tank. I'm considering selling it, it's neat to watch but I'm not sure it's all it's all their cracked up to be, at least on my tank. I'm sure the function better on some better than others.

Last edited by Parker; 01-07-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:39 AM

vanreefer is on a distinguished road

6105's will help check out this deal... don't know if he still has them but I got 2 of the 4 he had for sale and they are in great shape...http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81698
VR
Old 01-08-2012, 03:28 AM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanreefer View Post
6105's will help check out this deal... don't know if he still has them but I got 2 of the 4 he had for sale and they are in great shape...http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81698
VR
Thanks for the link, but I just got a nano wavebox on Boxing Day and I think I had made a right choice. All my sps corals are opening up more polyps than ever before. No more detritus at the bottom of my BB tank. All I need in the future is getting a Vortech and a good skimmer. but I think I have to wait at least another few months to recoupe my savings again after spending a little over my budget on the last holiday.